Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UC question

UC question

Im on high rate PIP and my partner is on JSA during my partners latest phone call from local Job centre my partner was told we have to go onto UC and we should look into how to claim it.

Is your partner getting 'New Style' Contribution Based JSA that has been in payment for almost six months (182 days)?

(If he's been on JSA for longer than 6 months then come back and let us know, that would be 'Old Style' JSA and so a different answer).

'New Style' CB JSA is only payable for 6 months (182 days), and if you want to keep receiving benefits after that then you'll have to claim UC instead.

You will get more money with UC then you were getting with ESA, not least because it will be a couples claim rather than one person.
    (TBH you should have already been claiming UC as well as the New Style CB JSA, I guess that you hadn't realised that).

You can't claim UC if you have savings/capital of over £16,000.
    UC will be reduced if you have savings/capital of between £6,000 and £16,000.

Your PIP will not be affected, PIP stays outside of UC and is payed seperately.

If you currently pay rent and have Housing Benefit then that will be migrated into a UC Housing Element, but will pay the same as HB does currently.

Use one of the online benefit calculators to see what you could be getting with UC (I prefer the Entitledto one but it's your choice, or use more than one to double check):
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Tell it to calculate for benefit year 2021/2022 which starts in a week or so.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-04-21 at 21:55.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Ok thanks for that it has been longer than 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by davy View Post
    Ok thanks for that it has been longer than 6 months
    In that case then it must be 'Old Style' Income Realted JSA. (A couples claim with you included as a partner?)

Despite the pushing from the Jobcentres (and it has been noticed that they have started doing it again) they cannot currently make anyone change from IR JSA to UC.

It's a couple of years off before they can start doing that.
    (Even when that starts they can't make you claim UC, but they will stop your current IR benefits so it will be UC or nothing).

At the moment it's entirely your choice whether you claim UC and swap over your existing IR benefits or not.

Having said that you should still take a look at the benefit calculators, you will probably (almost certainly) get more money with UC.

Just to note that if you do swap then your current IR JSA will 'run on' for 2 weeks.
    Which means that for the first 2 weeks that you are on UC you will be entitled to and get paid for both IR JSA and UC, and you don't have to pay it back.
    If you currently claim Housing Benefit then that also runs on for 2 weeks, and doesn't need paying back either.
    (They say the run ons are to make the changeover easier, which it does, but TBH it's a bribe to help persuade people to swap over).
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-04-21 at 04:25.

Just worked it out and would be better off. What is the easiest way to claim it

You claim UC online: https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim

(Unless there is some specific reason why you cannot use a computer).

Don't stop any current claims yourself, just claim UC and the changes needed will be done automatically.
    (They have had lots of practice this past year).
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-04-21 at 20:22.

i do try and search things out myself first but thank you once again And i hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by davy View Post
    i hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks,

I'm feeling fine generally, it's just the Hypersomnolence playing up so at the moment I'm sleeping (unconscious for the ESA50/WCAs) 16-22 hours each day.
    Sometimes all in one block, sometimes it's a couple of blocks with an hour or two awake (conscious) between.

Not too bad, it still gives a few hours to get things done, even if it may be the middle of the night for everyone else I've no neighbours who could be disturbed.
    (Basically just a pub next door, ever heard of a pub landlord being bothered by a bit of late night noise? And it's shut for covid anyway).

At the moment I'm mostly out of it during the day and awake late evening/night - but that rotates over time.

Like most other conditions you learn to live with it, and adapt your life to suit.

eg. In the last 3 hours I've braised a joint of beef in the oven for tomorrows dinner, (and as I'm single a lot of meals/butties next week), put potatoes and veg in pans of water, and made some yorkshire pudding batter to stand overnight (well for 4 or 6 hours anyway).
    So tomorrow it will only take 30 mins to heat the oven and cook some yorkshires, which is about right to turn the pans on to cook the rest, and slice the meat.
    (If I was being lazy I'd bang it all in the oven and roast the potatoes/veg at the same time as cooking the yorkshires).

PS. Yes I'm eating to well, too much, and getting overweight - I blame being stuck at home due to covid.
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-04-21 at 05:54.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Thanks,

I'm feeling fine generally, it's just the Hypersomnolence playing up so at the moment I'm sleeping (unconscious for the ESA50/WCAs) 16-22 hours each day.
    Sometimes all in one block, sometimes it's a couple of blocks with an hour or two awake (conscious) between.

Not too bad, it still gives a few hours to get things done, even if it may be the middle of the night for everyone else I've no neighbours who could be disturbed.
    (Basically just a pub next door, ever heard of a pub landlord being bothered by a bit of late night noise? And it's shut for covid anyway).

At the moment I'm mostly out of it during the day and awake late evening/night - but that rotates over time.

Like most other conditions you learn to live with it, and adapt your life to suit.

eg. In the last 3 hours I've braised a joint of beef in the oven for tomorrows dinner, (and as I'm single a lot of meals/butties next week), put potatoes and veg in pans of water, and made some yorkshire pudding batter to stand overnight (well for 4 or 6 hours anyway).
    So tomorrow it will only take 30 mins to heat the oven and cook some yorkshires, which is about right to turn the pans on to cook the rest, and slice the meat.
    (If I was being lazy I'd bang it all in the oven and roast the potatoes/veg at the same time as cooking the yorkshires).

PS. Yes I'm eating to well, too much, and getting overweight - I blame being stuck at home due to covid.
    Nuke pray for you as we need your help time to time, God bless you with good health many many years.

Amen to that .................