Thread: ESA50 - New version.

ESA50 - New version.

Just to note that today the ESA50 has been updated.

The government website says simply "Added accessible version of the questionnaire."

But there is nothing 'added' to the website - just a new version to download, now dated 01/21 and it's laid out quite a lot differently.
    (Oddly the UC50 hasn't changed yet, the latest version of that is dated 12/20).

Some of the the questions, and the advice notes, have changed on the new form.
    (From a quick look some seem to have been simplified way too much to get any meaningful answer).
    I'll probably take a closer look when I cut/paste my existing answers into the new form.

The link here will still take you to the latest ESA50 (and UC50 lower down):
    https://youreable.livingmadeeasy.org...standard-forms
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-04-21 at 20:45.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'm not liking box number 24. They are making you tell them the name of the illness/illnesses/disabilities, how they effect you, when they started & if you think any of your illnesses are linked to drugs or/and alcohol, & do you use any aids

When you have one or two illnesses/disability's not too bad but when your have say 8-10 it's going to be a nightmare adding extra sheets of paper listing all of them.

But hasn't that always been the case if you have several to list?
    There has never been enough room on the forms themselves, although the new layout means that there is a bit more space now than on the previous versions.

I've never liked that drugs/alcohol bit.
    It's for a doctor to diagnose if your conditions are linked to alcohol/substance abuse, not you.
    I see it as a blatant attempt to try and get you to disqualify yourself.

Yup, I dislike it in the version before this & in this one. I thought that a new form would be a new system of this problem but nope. It's also very vague how do your illnesses affect you. Well if you were someone with say 8-10 illnesses you really 1, don't know where to start & 2, it goes on & on & on!. Think the only way to do this box is to bullet point 1, Illness, 2 how long, 3, symptoms without going into detail 4, aids to help & then further in the form go into more detail.

It "feels" like they are trying to trip you up probably not but that's how this feels. I would actually leave this question to last fill in all the other questions then go back & put all the symptoms of how each illness affects you that you have already written for each question further in the form so that it matches up with the rest of the form

I've not had time to give it a good look yet, but from a quick look it does seem that some of the improvements they made over the years (sometimes were forced to make) have been reverted to the contentious old wordings.

(That has also been noticed with the new PIP2. eg. that talks about 'good days and bad days' again, something that had previously been dropped as being misleading).

As for multiple conditions, what I do is concentrate on the main one(s) that prevent me from working and why, then give less detail for the others.
    ie. My hypersomnolence is what stops me working so I concentrate on that. My cardic problems and epilepsy don't help but even combined wouldn't really prevent me working so while mentioned they get less details. (Although the cardiac meds mean that I can't take meds for Hypersomnolence, or epilepsy, so is relevant in that way).
    The ESA50/UC50 are only about if you can work or not so I concentrate on why Hypersomnolence means I can't, and then why I can't take meds for it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-04-21 at 16:41.

It's absolutely about concentrating mostly on the illness that causes you the most problems that hits their descriptors. I only learnt that since having both a PIP home assessment & a ESA home assessment. Before when I filled out the forms I went into details how each illness affects that question. Then I got the home F2F's & on both but particularly ESA they only concentrated on one illness & there was a passing word about one or two others.

Now these one or two others & more illnesses also cause problems relating to the descriptors but they were not spoken of.

Then if you have more than one say two or three illnesses that cause the same symptoms which which one/ones do you write about!

So after I learnt that they were just concentrating on that one illness I then went to the website for this illness they both concentrated on & downloaded their how to fill PIP form in if you have this illness & didn't have to have a F2F.

But how on earth would anyone know that unless they went through the F2F's & picked that up because you might not of. It's setting you up to fail that question
    Last edited by StarBright; 03-04-21 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I've never liked that drugs/alcohol bit.
    It's for a doctor to diagnose if your conditions are linked to alcohol/substance abuse, not you.
    I see it as a blatant attempt to try and get you to disqualify yourself.
    Are conditions linked to alcohol and drug abuse not eligible for ESA? I've always been honest with this question, for some conditions it can be chicken and egg scenario.

If you have a condition that has been caused by alcohol or substance abuse, eg. cirrhosis of the liver, kidney failure, etc., then the effects of that condition may qualify your for ESA and or PIP.

It's the effects of a condition that matters, not what caused that condition.

That gets tricky with MH conditions;
    Is it a MH condition or just the effects of being permanently drunk/stoned?
    Is the addiction itself caused by a MH problem?
    Are all addictions MH problems?
    It starts getting more philsophical than medical.

If you are 'just' an alcholic or junkie then that does not qualify for benefits - unless you are in hospital/residential rehab undergoing treatment for your addiction.

It's one of the common urban myths that alkies and druggies get (extra) disability benefits to pay for their addiction. (I've even see it incorrectly stated in some newspapers).
    Yes some can/do get disability benefits - if they are undergoing treatment in residental rehab.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-04-21 at 17:44.

I was truthful about how I have been on painkillers since 1991 codeine, and over the counter codeine though I am on tramodol. I explained how deaths around me, being bullied, eating disorder amongst other things led to this situation. Including taking it for extreme severe spinal stenosis pain. I was okay with the continuing of my esa.