Thread: New law on Telephone/Video Assessements. (PIP,ESA,UC and others).

New law on Telephone/Video Assessements. (PIP,ESA,UC and others).

A new legislation has come into force today, the snappily titled:

The Social Security (Claims and Payments, Employment and Support Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Universal Credit) (Telephone and Video Assessment) (Amendment) Regulations 2021.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

It's now written in law that assessments for PIP and WCAs for UC/ESA (and assessments for IB and IIDB) don't have to be F2F but can also be by telephone or video - and all possible decision outcomes can be made following such an assessment.

So for example in the case of UC and ESA it's now legal that you can be found Fit-for-Work following just a telephone assessment.
    You'd still appeal any such decision of course, but this new law weakens your grounds for appeal that a telephone assessment isn't a 'proper' one.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    but this new law weakens your grounds for appeal that a telephone assessment isn't a 'proper' one.
    Although this has now been made 'Law' the fact that you could be found fit for work surely most people with any logic including the appeal judges would see this as not acceptable.

You would think so, and I would think that the tribunal would normally order the DWP to do a F2F in any such cases.

TBH although the law does now allow it I don't expect that it will happen much if at all, and if it did I would expect any request for MR would send you for F2F assessment before it got to the appeal stage.

They had to do something about assessments, the number of PIP and ESA/UC new claim assessments 'on-hold' for covid was getting too high and the wait too long.
    In particular new claims for 'New Style' ESA were running out after 365 days without assessment. (We've seen a couple of those on this forum).

One interesting point I haven't found anything on is if the assessment companies will get paid the same per telephone/video assessment as they do for a F2F?
    If I remember right it's £190 per WCA carried out, (not sure what a PIP assessment gets) and I believe that currently they do get the same for telephone assessments during covid as they did for F2Fs.

If that stays the same then I can see many assessment centres closing, both for PIP and for WCAs - They would have no incentive to keep assessment centres open when they can just do them by video/telephone and save on rents, heating/lighting, receptionists, cleaners, etc., etc. for the centres.
    Which of course would mean you may have to travel further for a F2F.
    It's something that needs watching over the next year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You would think so, and I would think that the tribunal would normally order the DWP to do a F2F in any such cases.

TBH although the law does now allow it I don't expect that it will happen much if at all, and if it did I would expect any request for MR would send you for F2F assessment before it got to the appeal stage.

They had to do something about assessments, the number of PIP and ESA/UC new claim assessments 'on-hold' for covid was getting too high and the wait too long.
    In particular new claims for 'New Style' ESA were running out after 365 days without assessment. (We've seen a couple of those on this forum).

One interesting point I haven't found anything on is if the assessment companies will get paid the same per telephone/video assessment as they do for a F2F?
    If I remember right it's £190 per WCA carried out, (not sure what a PIP assessment gets) and I believe that currently they do get the same for telephone assessments during covid as they did for F2Fs.

If that stays the same then I can see many assessment centres closing, both for PIP and for WCAs - They would have no incentive to keep assessment centres open when they can just do them by video/telephone and save on rents, heating/lighting, receptionists, cleaners, etc., etc. for the centres.
    Which of course would mean you may have to travel further for a F2F.
    It's something that needs watching over the next year or two.
    Thanks for your reply.

I was originally due reassessment in January 2020 but the pandemic seen to that.

I was curious as to will I be sent out a new ESA 50 or will they just inform me that I have a new assessment?

They could do either.

There has never been a requirement to send out a questionaire before assessment, it's just something that was part of 'normal procedure'. (And things aren't quite normal at the moment).

Even before covid and telephone assessments we'd see a few who were just given a F2F appointment with no ESA50 first.

PS. By my reckoning I was due a WCA last September, nothings happened yet so it may well have been deferred.
    (I've been quite lucky with deferrments in the past, but having said that 'out loud' no doubt I'll get an ESA50 on Monday morning ).

I never knew they could just do a F2F with a form . How are they then able to see new medical evidence that you may have? So really paper based could be a thing of the past ? At least for a while.