Thread: ESA and Pregnancy

ESA and Pregnancy

Hi All

Hope you’re all well.

Just a quick question in that my daughter is on ESA and is now pregnant and expected delivery is early October - does she need to inform DWP about this and will she get any extra money?

Thank you.

I'm not sure about during the pregnancy itself, she may be better talking to her midwife service.

Two that I do know of for maternity are:
    Sure Start Maternity Grant:
    https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant
    Healthy start vouchers:
    https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/healthy-start-vouchers/

Once the child is born she will be able to claim UC for the Child Element, that's currently £235.83 a month.

Claiming UC for the child element is one of the things that will migrate any Income Related ESA (and Housing Benefit) into UC.

She will also be able to claim Child benefit seperately to UC, Child benefit is currently £21.05 a week for a first child. That is extra to UC and does not affect UC payments:
    https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi nukecad

Thanks for your reply and details.

Sorry if I misunderstood but does she need to inform DWP now or should she wait until the birth?

Thanks

ESA don't need to know about the pregnancy, and don't need to be told about the birth. - They'll know when she claims UC for the Child Element.
    PIP, if she still claims that, don't need to know about the pregnancy, but they should be told once the baby is born.

I'd tell PIP of a C of C after the baby is born, just for their records it won't affect PIP payments.

But if you want to tell ESA and PIP of the pregnancy then there is nothing to stop you, they just won't be very interested as it doesn't affect them.

Wait until the birth had been registered and then claim UC, which will then also migrate IR ESA into UC.
    Don't forget to claim Child Benefit seperately once the birth is registered.

The £500 Sure Start Maternity Grant can be claimed between 11 weeks before the due date, up to 6 months after the birth.

Healthy Start vouchers can be claimed once you are 10 weeks pregnant.
    Last edited by nukecad; 15-03-21 at 16:41.

Hi nukecad

Many thanks for this very helpful information.

Thanks

Hi

Since having the ESA f2f assessment on 1st June, she has now received a decision letter and they have put her in the Support group and will get extra money per week.

With regards to her pregnancy, she will be applying for the £500 maternity grant.

Also, I read that she can apply for the Maternity Allowance as she is getting ESA - my question is that is this worth applying as it is means tested and could she lose out on money if they give the maternity allowance and then reduce her ESA payments as I don’t know how much they would reduce her ESA payments by.

Hope you can advise.

Regards

Getting into Support Group is good.

Can I ask for clarity when did she start claiming ESA?
    It can make a difference to a number of things benefits related.

You need to be, or have recently been, working to claim Maternity allowance.
    It's a replacement for loss of earnings and only claimed if you can't get the Statuatory Maternity Pay.

If she's claiming ESA then any work she is doing could only be Permitted Work for less than 16 hours a week.

So unless she is doing PW then she can't claim Maternity Allowance, and even if she can/does then Maternity Allowance counts in full as income when calculating your entitlement to other means-tested benefits - so it would just be deducted from IR ESA anyway.

The Governments Maternity Allowance website has a link to a Maternity Allowance Calculator on this webpage, how good the calculator is and if it even covers ESA/permitted work I don't know:
    https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

Hi nukecad

She has been getting ESA since 2017 I think and never worked.

So maybe I have mis-understood about getting Maternity Allowance and will not get it.

Thanks