Thread: will i lose my premium and can i move friend in

will i lose my premium and can i move friend in

can someone please help.
    i live alone in a 3 bedroom house
    i am age 46 disabled and receiving esa and dla ..high care and low mobility.
    i have a friend who is not disabled but is off work through sickness for the last 2 years and claiming esa.
    my friend would like to move into my house with me into one of the spare bedrooms

if this happened would i lose my disability premium which i receive for living alone?
    i,m not sure if it is the severe disability premium i receive or the enhanced disability premium

would i also lose any other part of my benefits? we are not a couple but would be just 2 friends sharing a house.

i have lived in my house for around 15 years but now my children have left home so i have 2 spare bedrooms.

if my friend moved into my home with me and i died say a year or 2 later then would they be able to take over the tenacy?

and would we just let the council and the benefits department know my friend is moving in and then instead of the full rent being paid for me ,would it be half paid for me and the other half for my friend?

sorry if my writing is hard to understand as i am going through another mild eppisode and find it hard to think.
    thankyou

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by dearme View Post
    can someone please help.
    i have a friend who is not disabled but is off work through sickness for the last 2 years and claiming esa.
    my friend would like to move into my house with me into one of the spare bedrooms

if this happened would i lose my disability premium which i receive for living alone?
    i,m not sure if it is the severe disability premium i receive or the enhanced disability premium

would i also lose any other part of my benefits? we are not a couple but would be just 2 friends sharing a house.

i have lived in my house for around 15 years but now my children have left home so i have 2 spare bedrooms.

if my friend moved into my home with me and i died say a year or 2 later then would they be able to take over the tenacy?

and would we just let the council and the benefits department know my friend is moving in and then instead of the full rent being paid for me ,would it be half paid for me and the other half for my friend?

sorry if my writing is hard to understand as i am going through another mild eppisode and find it hard to think.
    thankyou
    at the end of jamuary councils will set local regulations regard council tax and rent benefit even before your friend moves in the new regulations mean you will have to start paying some of the rent and council tax even if your on benefits you need to get expert advice, which is not going to be easy as the changes are not yet set out,

you could telephone your housing association and local council for advise they might have some idea of there plans

only thing i can answer is that no the tenancy will not pass over unless they are put on tenancy first

You will lose your disability premium as you would no longer be living on your own and they would want to know what income your friend is living on. You would have to inform the housing department to let them know that your friend is living with you and housing benefit, council tax benefit. They would access your claim taking into account that your friend lives with you and if i not wrong you would still be entitled to full housing and council tax benefit as your friend is in receipt of benefit.
    Because you would still have one bedroom spare from April you would have to pay 10% of your rent and 25% for two bedrooms, so your friend moving in will save you some money on the bedroom tax but you will lose with the disability premium as you would no longer be living at home.
    You will need to inform your housing that you want to put your friend down as living there on your tenancy.

thankyou everyone that has been most helpfull.

does anyone know if the disability premium is being scrapped for myself anyhow, as i think i read it may be.

and is there anyone who i can call to come to my house to sort out my benefit and housing or do i just have to do it over the phone..when i get on the phone i get strange and can,t think..

thankyou everyone that has been most helpfull.

does anyone know if the disability premium is being scrapped for myself anyhow, as i think i read it may be.

and is there anyone who i can call to come to my house to sort out my benefit and housing or do i just have to do it over the phone..when i get on the phone i get strange and can,t think..
    I've not heard any rumours about the disability premiums being scrapped - but don't have full details yet about the new Universal Credit.

With your Housing and Council Tax benefits - if the Council will put you and your friend on a joint tenancy agreement then you will each claim HB/CTB seperately. And with new claims for HB/CTB, which include a change of circumstances - as yours will - they will usually want to do a home visit anyway to sort out your new claim. Especially as they will want to check whether there is any sign of co-habitation.

can someone please help.

thankyou
    If your friend moves in with you, you will lose the Severe Disability Premium but retain the Disability Premium and the Enhanced Disability Premium. You will be subject to the 25% bedroom tax unless your friend is able to become a joint tenant. You will need to speak to a Housing Advice worker to see if a joint tenancy can be set up.

No. Your friend would be asked to leave as the property is too big for one tenant and the Council would offer him a one bed flat in a place of their choosing. You are known as a secure tenant with rights. Unless you wanted your lodger to become a joint tenant.

You'd need to talk to a housing officer about that because it may have an impact on your benefits as you'd be treated as a couple. Your friend may also just be offered an initial one year introductory tenancy before becoming a secure tenant.