Thread: PIP Telephone Assessment incoming..

PIP Telephone Assessment incoming..

It has been booked for apx 2 weeks time with ATOS.

I was already receiving PIP and my award ran out late in January.I filled in the form for a fresh claim and sent it away.I have been informed by text that i have a telephone assessment scheduled in the near future.

I thought i had read on here previously that no such telephone assessments were being undertaken?..maybe i was mistaken?

I was wondering if somebody could please tell me what to expect from this call?.I live alone,have no family in the UK,have a very poor memory,am extremely stressed about things and have nobody here to help.I am also currently shielding too.Is there any helpful hints that one can use when dealing with such encounters?

All help will be gratefully received.

Cheers.

JW

Hello jw68

As you were already receiving PIP did you have to undergo a face to face assessment previously as I'd imagine the telephone assessment would be very much on the along same lines.

Obviously no physical examination can take place, but I'd imagine they may ask you questions about the difficulties you have, with one or two questions about how you do manage to drive, walk, get shopping, manage your finances etc.

Please let us all know how you get on, as your experience may help others.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello jw68

As you were already receiving PIP did you have to undergo a face to face assessment previously as I'd imagine the telephone assessment would be very much on the along same lines.

Obviously no physical examination can take place, but I'd imagine they may ask you questions about the difficulties you have, with one or two questions about how you do manage to drive, walk, get shopping, manage your finances etc.

Please let us all know how you get on, as your experience may help others.

Good luck
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,Buble..With regards to my own circumstances,i have NEVER once down the years been granted PIP or ESA without having been subjected to a face-to-face assessment (or in this case,telephone assessment)..I was receiving PIP(granted by Tribunal on morning of tribunal date-i was told not to bother attending) but it ran out in late Jan,so this is,in effect,a fresh claim.I have deteriorated markedly since filling in the form for my previous claim (some 2 years ago)..I was wondering if there is such a situation where a claimant can be granted PIP or ESA on the back of filling in the relevant form,without having to undergo a F2F assessment from the likes of ATOS??...If so,i was wondering what % of people out there have been lucky enough to be in this select group of people??...Does anybody have any stats at hand??..After this latest episode is over i will return and post details about my experience here.

Thanks again.

I've never had a face-to-face (or telephone assessment) for ESA and have been put in the support group 4 times now. Last year I suddenly got a letter from PIP and they'd looked at my claim again without sending out the form and given me a 10 yeard award with a "light touch" assessment at the end of it, when I'd previously twice had face to face. So it is possible for it all to be done on paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    I've never had a face-to-face (or telephone assessment) for ESA and have been put in the support group 4 times now. Last year I suddenly got a letter from PIP and they'd looked at my claim again without sending out the form and given me a 10 yeard award with a "light touch" assessment at the end of it, when I'd previously twice had face to face. So it is possible for it all to be done on paperwork.
    Thanks for that noisynoodle.It's good to see that there are some stories with happy endings.

One point i do want to make is that there are people out there who cannot photocopy the relevant documents needed/requested by the DWP to scrutinise when assessing a client's claim.

For example,in my case,they wanted photocopied/original doctor's letters etc pertaining to my health condition.I do not possess a smartfone,nor do i have a printer at home.The local library,which i have always used for photocopying purposes,has been closed due to the pandemic.I am isolated here and have been shielding due to my illness.Nevertheless,the DWP plough on regardless,like any bully worth his salt,and ask for these documents.I am hoping i go to tribunal again,and this time i get a chance to talk to the tribunal board and let them know my feelings on this matter.I am hoping that all these pandemic-induced problems are taken into account by the..."powers that be" when assessing a client's claim.

Cheers

Your Post Office will usually have a public photocopier, many off them are also scanners so you can scan documents onto a memory stick.

It cost money of course, but so does copying/scanning at libraries.

I got a Cannon printer/scanner/copier for a fiver at the local AgeUK shop, I've never put ink in it to print, but a scanner for a fiver isn't bad.
    You can even get a new one for around £45 if your budget will stretch to that. (It's the ink cartridges that cost the money).
    https://business.currys.co.uk/catalo...?from=category
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Your Post Office will usually have a public photocopier, many off them are also scanners so you can scan documents onto a memory stick.

It cost money of course, but so does copying/scanning at libraries.

I got a Cannon printer/scanner/copier for a fiver at the local AgeUK shop, I've never put ink in it to print, but a scanner for a fiver isn't bad.
    You can even get a new one for around £45 if your budget will stretch to that. (It's the ink cartridges that cost the money).
    https://business.currys.co.uk/catalo...?from=category
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Your Post Office will usually have a public photocopier, many off them are also scanners so you can scan documents onto a memory stick."

1.NO.My local Post Office (the largest Post Office in my town) does not have a public photocopier/scanner.

2.You did rather well to pick up an item like that for a fiver !!..

3.Is it right that i have to shell out £45+ money for ink cartridges for a new one just to satisfy the DWP's thirst for paperwork?..

4.I have a serious health issue and i will be in trouble if i catch this virus.The Government have already told me to stay safe indoors,hence is it unreasonable of them to expect me to go and queue at a Post Office to get some documents photo-copied?

I am generally of sound mind,nukecad, and had already considered all the points you have made.As for the main Post Office in my town not having the hardware,perhaps onlookers will not believe this is possible..I can provide the name,phone number and location of said Post Office via private message here should anybody request it,so that my story can be verified (if anybody is really that bothered about checking).

Again,i maintain that it is unreasonable of the DWP to request documents that are very difficult to obtain during this very unusual time in all of our lives.I am one of the lucky ones in that i do have a PC and one or two old doctor's letters,which is just as well really,as many GPs up and down the country have become rather scarce during this last calendar year.Sending out documents for DWP purposes will have been way down their list of priorities,no doubt.

Cheers Nuke.
    Last edited by jw68; 21-02-21 at 14:04.

I have written all of the above knowing that the DWP have already extended many people's claims.I know it can't go on indefinitely,but i just feel that,given how other parties have been treated during lockdown,maybe the people who need it the most might be given a little more leeway still.

Cheers.

There were actually two in the AgeUK shop, a Hewlet Packard and the Cannon that I bought, both were being sold for a fiver each.

Complain to the post office about their lack of a copier in your branch.

Most of us are sheilding, official or not. We do the best we can, and deal with the DWP as best we can if/when we have to.

PS. There is no private messaging on this forum, that's so members don't get unwanted messages from trolls and other nasty people.
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-02-21 at 15:18.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

my post office - which is a 'real' one (not one poked in the back of a shop) - has no copying facilities

but i would add that when i was away during first lockdown, i had to send documents to dwp - they were ok with the fact that some were unobtainable as they were at my home and also some, they already had copies from previous occasions.

you can only do your best