Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Capability telephone assessment

Got the decision this morning- Limited Capability for Work and work Related Activity. Such a relief! Amazed the decision came so quickly. I'm glad I don't have to request fit notes anymore. I've got printed & electronic copies however they have never asked to see them so I imagine they will soon.

That is quick, assessment to decision and notification in 5 days must be pushing for a record.

Of course the notification is quicker with the UC journal, the DM clicks a button and it shows up on your juornal
    If it had been ESA they would have clicked a button to print and post out a letter, and it woold probably be next Thursday or Friday before you got it.

I'd hang onto the fit notes, you never know if they may want to see them.
    I'm not sure when you will be paid the extra LCWRA from, or if there is any backpay due.
    We'd need to know the date you first claimed UC, and the date you first told them you were sick and provided fit notes if that's different.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

When I completed the UC claim I did put my health issues down, that was 12th October but I gave the first fit note on 20th November.

Tricky one.

The law is that things LCW/LCWRA start from when you first provide evidence of being unfit for work.
    That doesn't have to be fit notes, but UC usually only works on fit notes.
    (It's a limitation in the UC computer system which only asks the work coach: Fit Note provided? - Y/N)

So unless this was a migration from ESA (which you haven't mentioned) there are two possibilities.

Your monthly UC period runs from the 12th of one month to the 11th of the next, and you get paid 7 days after that.

Possibility 1 - The most likely:

Your UC claim had already started and you first provided 'evidence' on the 20th Nov.

Your 3 full months waiting/assessment would be:
    12 Dec-11 Jan
    12 Jan-11 Feb
    12 Feb-11 Mar
    And you are due to be paid the LCWRA Element starting from 12 Mar.

UC is paid a month in arrears so you would not get your first LCWRA payment (an extra £341.92 a month) until your payment in April.

Possibility 2 - Less likely, but...:
    There are some funny rules about the first month of a new UC claim, and covid has also mixed things up some more.

If they accept that you first gave evidence you were unable to work on the day that you claimed UC, 12th October, then it's different and you should get the extra for LCWRA from 12th Feb.
    It's awkward to know if they have accepted that, they may have done because of covid and not having to take/send fit notes in.
    In which case LCWRA would be payable from 12th Feb, and so should be included in your March payment if they process it quickly enough.

Whichever one that they decide I would work on the assumption that you will not see the extra money for LCWRA until April's payment.
    If you do get it this month then that's a bonus.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-03-21 at 16:52.

Thanks for the info. I think it will be April, that sounds about right.

So I got a letter yesterday saying because of the LCWRA the DWP owe me money for the period 12th Nov - 11th Dec. At that time I got about £270 UC because I received my final wage from my last job. They have increased the payment for that assessment period by about £180 & it will be in my bank account tomorrow. They say the LCRWA changed my earning deductions so I assume they have used the first fit note as evidence however there has been no mention of any backpayment for the rest of the months. It's all very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Stubby,

Having LCWRA in UC means that you are exempt from any jobseeking or other UC conditionality.
    More importantly it means extra money each month in your UC payment, an extra £341.92 a month going up to £343.63 in April.
    When it starts being paid will depend on when you first sent in medical evidence that you were unable to work (Fit notes).
    It is not paid for the first 3 full UC months following you sending that evidence.

The £25 cold weahter payment you would have got anyway, simply by having UC.

Pinkcashmere,

The latest that I have seen is that all outcomes are now possible from a telephone assessment, LCWRA, LCW or Fit for Work.
    (I was actually told that in a reply to a Freedom of Information request, it wasn't what I had requested but was new information)

LCWRA (Limited Capability for Work and work Related Activity) means as I said above.
    LCW (Limited Capability for Work) means no worksearching, but no extra money.
    Fit for Work means just that and you will be expected to look for work.

Anyone who is found FFW following a telephone assessment should appeal immediately, not least on the grounds that it could not have been a proper full assessment and possibly on other ground as well.

Hi Nuke
    As you mention, more importantly it means extra money each month in your UC payment, an extra £341.92 a month going up to £343.63 in April. I am in ESA SG LCWRA, first they are added this money with monthly payment and then next paragraph they take off (deducted) same amount, I never get paid any LCWRA in UC. Hope you will understood, just need to understand about LCWRA money. Thanks

If you have CB ESA and UC then any money you get paid for the ESA is deducted from the UC as income.

If you closed your CB ESA claim then that money would no longer be deducted from your UC so your UC payment would go up.

Whichever way you still get the same money overall, and it's more with CB ESA and UC than it would be with CB ESA alone.
    It's just that you are getting part of it paid fortnightly as ESA and the rest of it paid monthly as UC.

However when you say that LCWRA is shown but then it's deducted do you mean the exact same amount?
    The deduction should be £453.40 which is 4 weeks CB ESA SG.

If you can tell us more about your circumstances then we could see if what you are getting seems right.
    We'd need to know for starters: if you are over 25, if you have a partner (if so are they working), any kids, any saving/capital over £6,000, all the benefits you get, when you claimed UC, how much UC you are getting, and if you get Housing Element in UC how much the Housing Element is.
    We'd also need to know if you are paying back a UC advance or have any sanctions.
    Last edited by nukecad; 17-03-21 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If you have CB ESA and UC then any money you get paid for the ESA is deducted from the UC as income.

If you closed your CB ESA claim then that money would no longer be deducted from your UC so your UC payment would go up.

Whichever way you still get the same money overall, and it's more with CB ESA and UC than it would be with CB ESA alone.
    It's just that you are getting part of it paid fortnightly as ESA and the rest of it paid monthly as UC.

However when you say that LCWRA is shown but then it's deducted do you mean the exact same amount?
    The deduction should be £453.40 which is 4 weeks CB ESA SG.

If you can tell us more about your circumstances then we could see if what you are getting seems right.
    We'd need to know for starters: if you are over 25, if you have a partner (if so are they working), any kids, any saving/capital over £6,000, all the benefits you get, when you claimed UC, how much UC you are getting, and if you get Housing Element in UC how much the Housing Element is.
    We'd also need to know if you are paying back a UC advance or have any sanctions.
    Thanks Nuke
    I am 55 years old living with wife who work part time £300 a month and UC deducted £5 a month, we have no kids no saving or any capital. I am getting paid PIP Enhanced rate both, getting paid my rent from UC £423 a month direct to landlord and I am on UC over the year now and now a day due to £20 extra I am getting final payment's £310 a month. Hope I didn't miss what you need to know. Thanks

Thanks, I'll take a look later when I have more time. I'll ask if I need anything more.