Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else on ESA...

Has anyone else on ESA...

Had their award review deferred without assessment?

I was up review around January this year but phoned the DWP the other day and they said my next review will be January next year.

Has this happened without anyone else? Did you get a letter about it? It seems that pip claimants are being sent letters when their awards are extended, but what about esa?
    Last edited by grissom123; 12-02-21 at 21:23.

Yes this has happened to others, see thread here:

https://youreable.livingmadeeasy.org...ward-extension

No, I didn't get a letter.

PIP has an end date, for ESA the award is ongoing unless found fit for work. So the review date being changed is not something they'd need to send a letter about as with PIP.

Even when awarded ESA the next review date isn't given in writing so it follows any extension isn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy123 View Post
    Yes this has happened to others, see thread here:

https://youreable.livingmadeeasy.org...ward-extension

No, I didn't get a letter.

PIP has an end date, for ESA the award is ongoing unless found fit for work. So the review date being changed is not something they'd need to send a letter about as with PIP.

Even when awarded ESA the next review date isn't given in writing so it follows any extension isn't either.
    Yes thanks, I meant to post this on that thread but my stupid internet decided to go off. I'm sure I read on here in the past about people being awarded esa, and the amount of time they would be paid being mentioned in their letters, but I guess I'm remembering wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by grissom123 View Post
    I'm sure I read on here in the past about people being awarded esa, and the amount of time they would be paid being mentioned in their letters, but I guess I'm remembering wrong.
    At one time, in the early days of ESA, they did put the progosis date (expected reassessment date) on award letters.

But it was confusing some people who though that it was like PIP, and so was an 'end date' when ESA would automatically stop being paid.

So they stopped doing that and changed the letters to stop confusing people about that particular point.
    (The letters can still be very confusing about other things).

TBH I've often wondered why all PIP is not on the same basis of 'ongoing awards with reviews'. (It is now for Pensioners, and it has always been possible to award 'ongoing' PIP).
    There's only one reason that I can see why PIP has end dates and is not 'ongoing with reviews' as standard - penny pinching.
    Maybe that will change in future? As said they've already changed it for pensioners.
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-02-21 at 08:40.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hopefully Nuke after seeing the problems Covid 19 is causing the PIP process they will change it to ongoing. You never know your luck

Dunno, the new law they passed to allow PIP extensions could just have easily been a law to make all PIP ongoing if they had wanted to do that.

That would have been simpler for everybody all round, but last March/April they were expecting (well hoping) that Covid lockdowns would be over within 3 to 6 months.

There is no sensible reason for PIP to have a set end date when payments will automatically stop, just a political cost saving one.
    (Or possibly a discriminatory 'all disability claimants are fraudsters' one).
    Only when it becomes politically unacceptable, as it did with pensioners, will they change it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-02-21 at 13:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yes I suppose so Nuke, as always money

Yes my esa has been deferred by 2 years twice without them contacting me I only found out because I called them.

Ive just read this I was on DLA before they moved me over to PIP this was in 2017. They gave an award for an ongoing period and they will contact me while Im still getting PIP to see if my needs have changed. This will be after June 2027 That will be 4 years ago and Ive not heard a peep from PiP so fr
    Last edited by StueyR; 13-02-21 at 19:45.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm relieved I don't have to go through assessment at least for time being.