Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESA award extension.

I was due another review in February 2020 and nothing sent out my last prognosis was February 2018 giving me 24 months and I'm currently in the ESA Support group so I'm a year past my review but will wait until they write again which I can't see happening for a bit. Just had the benefit increase letter. And still have my payments paid into a post office card account so expecting a final letter to close that soon as it's meant to end in November 2021

I know this is an old thread but my ESA award is due to be reassessed next month, according to the 'prognosis' on my ESA85a.

Wondering if I should be expecting an ESA50 to be sent out about now? Or, is there any further info. about review dates being deferred?

Also, I am in the Support Group based on s.35 risk provisions, can I be found FFW based on WCA, telephony? I also hear that some people have been given WCA phone appointments at short notice without filling in an ESA50 first or being able to submit supportive medical evidence first? Is that right?

Thank you for any help.

They can reassess for ESA, or not, at anytime.
    There is no set 'end date' like there is for PIP so ESA just continues to be paid.

Any/all outcomes are now possible from a telephone assessment.
    Of course if you are found FFW then you appeal.
    (You normally don't have to ask for MR before appealing anymore if found FFW, that was changed last year).

It has always been possible to have an assessment with no ESA50 first, we have seen it happen in the past - well before covid and telephone assessments.

That usually happens when they already have (almost) enough without needing a new ESA50. (This has especially been the case with the telephone reassessments they have been doing during covid which were only for Support Group to start with so they already knew that the outcome was likely to be SG again).

There is no requirement for an ESA50 in law, the only rule has always been, and still is, that you should be given at least seven days notice of an assessment.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm already well past my prognosis date (again), reassessment will happen when it happens and worrying isn't going to change that.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-07-21 at 21:03.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    They can reassess for ESA, or not, at anytime.
    There is no set 'end date' like there is for PIP so ESA just continues to be paid.

Any/all outcomes are now possible from a telephone assessment.
    Of course if you are found FFW then you appeal.
    (You normally don't have to ask for MR before appealing anymore if found FFW, that was changed last year).

It has always been possible to have an assessment with no ESA50 first, we have seen it happen in the past - well before covid and telephone assessments.

That usually happens when they already have (almost) enough without needing a new ESA50. (This has especially been the case with the telephone reassessments they have been doing during covid which were only for Support Group to start with so they already knew that the outcome was likely to be SG again).

There is no requirement for an ESA50 in law, the only rule has always been, and still is, that you should be given at least seven days notice of an assessment.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm already well past my prognosis date (again), reassessment will happen when it happens and worrying isn't going to change that.
    Hello Nukecad,

Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, how far past your prognosis date for reassessment are you? You never know, you might have been deferred as others have been.

I dread being bumped into a WCA phone appointment. I need someone with me to help explain my difficulties. I prefer to get the form and fill it in again as well as have a chance to re-submit up to date medical evidence, especially because the reasons for getting into the support group under the s.35 risk provisions are still the same - my medical evidence really helped last time and I know my doctor thinks there is no change to the advice she provided then. It doesn't seem right for them not to seek further medical evidence before finding me fit for work on the basis of a telephone assessment. My issues are MH related.

Had to go look it up, because as I say it's not worth worrying about it will happen when it happens.

My last ESA50 was October 2017, got a 3 year prognosis early 2018, so reassessment was due earlier this year, of course covid has messed things up.

And as you say they may well have changed/deffered my prognosis date, it wouldn't be the first time.

I wouldn't worry to much about the special regulation award - they will know that is why you were awarded SG and the DWP Decision Makers are being extremely careful when it comes to special regs reassessments by telephone that they don't get it wrong.
    They don't want to be accused of using telephone assessments to reduce anyones award, especially special regs ones.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for your reassurance about the special regulation issue which is the basis for my current ESA Support group award.

I need to weigh up the risks/benefits of phoning the DWP to see if my reassessment is going ahead next month. Maybe, let sleeping dogs lie for now. Once I get past the actual prognosis date itself without hearing anything might be better.. or do as you do and forget about it... what will be, will be. Unfortunately, not simple to do with my MH issues. The anxiety of dreading the post day after day can spiral.

Same thing here . I’m UC LCWRA and was due a reassessment Feb 2020 but due to covid it was probably deferred. I’m expecting a UC50 and day now or a message to say I’m having an assessment. Absolutely dreading it but there’s nothing I can do, my twice weekly therapy ends mid 2022 so I’d prefer to be left alone until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau View Post
    Same thing here . I’m UC LCWRA and was due a reassessment Feb 2020 but due to covid it was probably deferred. I’m expecting a UC50 and day now or a message to say I’m having an assessment. Absolutely dreading it but there’s nothing I can do, my twice weekly therapy ends mid 2022 so I’d prefer to be left alone until then.
    It's agonising, isn't it? Not knowing. You can't really prepare - line up medical evidence you need. At least with PIP, you know when an AR1 form (renewal) is being sent out because your award has an actual end date. So, you can plan. I wish that the act of phoning up the DWP to ask about whether an ESA50 is due wouldn't trigger it. I am going to wait till I am past the actual prognosis date before plucking up the courage to phone them. By then, I can at least do some preparation in case I am being reassessed/or it triggers a reassessment. I could leave well alone like others do, but I don't know if I can cope with the agony of not knowing day to day if I can expect a form in the post or a letter about an appointment. Just being in that anxious limbo spirals my MH symptoms and I can't focus on getting better.

Good luck Pau. Hope you have been deferred to at least mid 2022, as you need.

Thanks Amy , it really is awful , the not knowing. I hope to be left alone until my therapy is over but I highly doubt it , there wouldn’t be much job search/ work I could do with this intense 2 year therapy program twice a week and all the meds I take atm . Im expecting an assessment any day though . I did call them up a few years back to ask something unrelated and a few days later I got a UC50, I’m sure the call triggered it so I’m really apprehensive about calling them again. I completely get your stress and anxiety over this and hope they’ve deferred you too . Take care and all the best .

Hello All,

Just read that this week Therese Coffey in a Parliamentary Committee admitted there is a backlog of ESA assessments, about 15,000, to get through and she said they expect to clear them by September this year. I don't know if that 15,000 refers to new claims or not? Seems likely because there are obviously many more people on ESA than that, so that figure can't have been referring to reassessments as well, can it? She did say that the bulk of backlog is with PIP claims. The reason given for these backlogs is the fact that 'telephony' assessments take longer than f-2-f ones because they have to ask more and 'better questions' to get the information assessors need. They also said they have suffered a shortage of assessment staff at the providers because of the call for NHS workers to help with healthcare services during the Pandemic.

From that, I would assume anyone who has long passed their 'prognosis' date for ESA assessment must have been deferred so they can get through the backlog of new claims. No way of knowing if you have been deferred without calling the DWP...

My prognosis date is next month... so I am not going to call the DWP until it is long passed, in that case, and hope I am one of the ones deferred just to put my mind at rest.

Amy