Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESA award extension.

Quote Originally Posted by grissom123 View Post
    My last review was January 2020 and current award was until last month.
    Again- No.

Your current ESA award is 'ongoing' - It was not 'until last month' it does not have an end date.

The date is simply when you can expect to be reassessed again and it can be easily changed, it is not an award end date.

PS. You are not alone, many (including some at the DWP) struggle to understand that an ESA award does not have an end date but is always 'ongoing'.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-02-21 at 10:15.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I called them this morning and woman I spoke to said next review date is in January next year, relief.

My UC LCWRA prognosis date ended Feb 2020 and heard nothing last year ( obviously because of Covid ) I really don’t want to call them up just in case it triggers a reassessment, I’ve heard a few stories of this happening, anyone know if it’s true ? I kind of expect a UC50 or a message to say a telephone assessment is due any day though . I’m in an intense therapy programme ATM that is twice a week ( via zoom atm due to covid ) it’s a 2 year programme run by my MH services, it really takes it out of me and really couldn’t face having to fill in a UC50 or have a telephone assessment ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    There is nothing ad-hoc to 'fix' or 'misinterpret', there is only a guideline date when it is recommended that you have another assessment.
    And that guideline date can be changed, that has always been the case ever since ESA first started.
    What I meant by 'ad hoc fix' was that they are adding 2 years to avoid reassessments being triggered, as you said yourself it's an easy way to do it, and the 'misinterpreted' bit refers to DWP call centre staff offering guarantees to claimants that their claims won't be reviewed until that date when they're in no position to do so for the reasons you've outlined above. Apologies for not making myself clearer along with the previous imprecision of my language.

I suspect we've been put in a holding pattern until the DWP work out what they're going to do and it's going to be a number of months before that happens.

Just asking shouldn't trigger a referral for reassessment.

The date is aready there and it's the computer that sends the referral automatically.
    Why would they spend time changing a date that's already there if they don't have to?

If a referral hasn't already been sent yet then the date has been changed to stop the computer from sending it yet.
    (Or it has already been sent and is sat on the assessors computer waiting for them to do something).

The stories about a call triggering a reassessment is when people report a change of circumstances during the call.
    It's the change of circumstances that means a reassessment may be necessary.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-02-21 at 07:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau View Post
    I’ve heard a few stories of this happening, anyone know if it’s true ?
    It happened to me after a 'glitch' in the system meant I wasn't reassessed for nearly a year after my award 'ended' and when I rang them on an unrelated matter they realised I'd been due a review months before and promptly triggered it.

Though I think this is pretty rare and extremly unlikely to occur under the present circumstances. Hopefully Nukecad can give you a more informative answer.

---------------

Ah I see that answer was provided before I'd finished typing this one. Hopefully that'll provide some reassurance.
    Last edited by Votadini; 10-02-21 at 16:26.

Thanks for the advice nukecad and Votadini .

So it can actually happen but is rare, as my prognosis date was Feb 2020 , I think I’ll just wait for them to contact me rather than having the fear that if I call I’ll trigger a reassessment.

Thanks again

It's always a catch22 if you are worried about it.

Is it better to find out for sure, even if that means being reassessed now?
    Or is it better to be unsure and wondering when it's going to happen?

In the end that's a decision for each person to make for themselves.

TBH I haven't got a clue when my next prognosis date is, but I'm not particulary bothered about it either.
    (I keep my completed ESA50 on my computer so it's just a few changes to dates, meds, etc., print it off, and post it).
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-02-21 at 08:25.

These assessments/reassessments fill us with real fear it’s so damn tragic what they cause us , I think I’ll probably just leave it until they decide to contact me, I haven’t got a form saved in my laptop but I did take photos of the last form I filled in and nothing much has changed apart from an increase in meds and a 2 year therapy programme so I suppose it’ll just be a question of copying it over and updating a few bits here and there .

I would like to know if mine has or hasn't been extended, but I think I'll just leave it as I'd be worried to ask.

I know mine is due some time soon as I did phone up last year, I was sent an ESA50 for a review, even though I had had a medical examination and they had said I should be awarded at least a two year before a review. I got the forms less than a year into my award, so thought I'd call to ask why. Luckily I got someone really helpful, she made a few calls and it turned out it was a glitch in the system and it had been sent a year too early so I didn't need to do it.

I think I'll wait it out and live in hope!