Thread: Discrepancy in awarded benefits

Discrepancy in awarded benefits

My Universal Credit statement just came through and I’ve been awarded roughly £400/month.
    A friend of mine in a similar situation to me medically started benefits about 5 years ago and is receiving £800 EESA per month and £600 PIP per month. How is it possible they are receiving so much more than I am? Is it because these are old style benefits and not universal credit?

It's because your friend has disabilities - Support Group (LCWRA) with ESA and also has PIP.

You don't have either of those - you have standard UC (or maybe UC-LCW).

If you think that you should also have them yourself then apply for LCW/LCWRA with UC and apply for PIP seperately.
    Note that unless you get LCWRA with UC your UC payments won't go up.

You will need to have a seperate assessment for each benefit.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the info! So are you saying LCWRA is a form of ESA that increases the usual maximum payment? Now my first UC payment has come through can I still apply for LCWRA? How would I go about doing that? I have supplied 2 fit notes already and one of the women who called me from UC said they will be doing another assessment of my medical condition in a few months so I don't have to keep uploading fit note info to my UC account in order not to look for employment. Will the results of this medical assessment also include a higher rate of UC?
    My PIP application is still being processed. I had my phone assessment a couple of weeks ago and waiting to hear back.

My accommodation costs dont seem to have been addressed in my UC statement either. I read i have to do another application for that also?

Let's start again.

You say you have just got your first UC payment so this is a new claim.

You have already applied for a Limited Capabiliy Element by supplying fit notes. (They have now told you that you don't need to send them anymore).
    Keep getting them from your GP even if you don't send them - you may need them later, or may not but it's best to have them just in case.
    For the moment do as they say and don't send them, just keep them safe.

You will have an assessment by telephone which will either find you to have LCWRA (Limited Capability for Work and work Related Activites) or not.
    If you are found to have LCWRA then you will get extra money.
    If not then you won't get any extra money now, you will still get the same money as you do now.
    But will have another chance to get extra later when they can see you face to face after Covid lockdowns end.

If your rent is not being included in UC then ask them on the payment section of your UC journal why it is not being included.
    It may just be that it is taking time to sort out, not good for you but it happens.
    If you told them about your rent when you applied for UC then you don't need another application.

PIP is totally seperate, you say you have already had an assessment for PIP, wait to hear back from that.

Your friend has already been through all this and has had both of the assessments.
    It is the results of those assessments that determines if you get extra money, and how much.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-02-21 at 16:14.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.