Thread: SDP Gatway now closed.

SDP Gatway now closed.

As from today (27th January 2021) the "SDP Gateway" that prevented new claims for UC is now closed, and so those with SDP can now make new claims for UC again.

A 'SDP Transitional Element' will be paid to 'Natural Migrants to UC' in order to compensate for the loss of SDP.

However it does not cover for the loss of EDP. (That loss is being challenged in court again).
    At the moment the Covid Uplift is more than the lost EDP anyway, so you should get more with UC, but who knows if that will still be the case after April?

Overall if you currently have SDP then you should still be wary of migration to UC and take further advice before migrating.

But if you now have a change of circumstances that means making a new claim for an Income Related benefit then that now means claiming UC (or doing without).

The two most common C of C's that would cause that for a person with IR ESA + SDP are:
    • Moving to a rented house in a different Local Authority and making a new benefit claim for the Rent. (UC replaces new claims for Housing Benefit).
    • Having or adopting a child and claiming UC Child element. (UC replaces new claims for Child Tax Credit).

I have updated the Migration advice linked to in my signature below.

The main question asked is - " Will I be worse off on UC?" - so here's the comparison for a single person:
    CLICK HERE - Will I be worse off on UC than ESA?
    (PS. For a single person then answer is that at the moment you will be better off with UC than with IR ESA - but watch that advice; if the Covid uprating in UC is not kept in April then it may change for those with SDP).
    Last edited by nukecad; 27-01-21 at 23:10.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.