Thread: Pip extended by two years.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pip extended by two years.

Hi folks,

I live in N Ireland and I am on the lower mobility of PIP was one point short of getting the standard care rate when assessed 2 and a half years ago. Didn't ask for an MR at the time (Under devolved legislation I got 3/4 of care component for one year which of course is now stopped)

Anyways I got a letter today saying that due to Covid my Lower Mobility award has been extended form 2023 to 2025, normally would be good news but I do feel that probably I should be getting standard care as well.

Now it says I can ask for an MR as to their decision, so if its ok to ask, do you think this is only to do with the extension decision or does it go right back to the initial decision when they awarded me the descriptor points?

Many thanks.
    John

As usual it's a bit different in NI then in the rest of the UK and so we may not be fully up to speed with it, but in general:

Nearly all PIP awards are being extended because of Covid.
    That doesn't mean you won't be reassessed when it was due anyway, just that things are taking longer so they are giving more time before your award runs out - your reassessment may be on time or may be delayed.

If you have had a change of circumstances and got worse (or better) then you can still ask for a reconsideration/reassessment to be done sooner, it will be done by telephone as they are not seing anyone face to face because of covid.

It's your choice either to stay as you are or ask to be reassessed to add DL as well, remembering that it will be by telephone and not face to face.
    Of course as with any reassessment they will look at everything again not just the DL. (So there is the possiblilty that you could lose your current Lower Mobility).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks very much Nukecad,

I was probably thinking that by them saying in letter to me that I could have a MR as regards their decision, I might put in for one if it related to the initial decision which was over two and a half years ago now, but as was explained to me on a different forum, this is probably not the case, as once over 13 months the original decision can't go to MR and its just one of their standard letters.

No real change in circumstances, I got two points for engaging socially in assessment whereas I feel I probably should have received four as I get a lot of help from my partner.

I understand that the high court ruled last year that some of the PIP decision making was wrong in the Engaging socially descriptor, so they have to trawl through the claimants it might affect where it would change the award only, in my case it might as I got seven points one short of the award amount.

But with Covid nobody probably knows if this looking at the affected claims again will ever take place I suppose.
    And as you have said I could loose everything, the 10 points for lower mobility was because of my eyesight (registered partially sighted) for help in getting around unfamiliar places.

Thanks once again.
    John.
    Last edited by johnsmi; 25-01-21 at 19:01.

Yes, the MR right is for this extension not for the original decision.
    As you told elsewhere it's simply standard wording and TBH I don't see anybody asking for an MR of the decision to extend their award.

PS. They have still been doing that trawl and review, they did stop it for a while at the begining of Covid but restarted it about July/August.
    I'm not sure just how far they have got with it, or if there is anything different with you being in NI.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks a lot Nukecad.