Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour presses PM for action ahead of benefit vote To Keep £20 Extra For U/C

Labour presses PM for action ahead of benefit vote To Keep £20 Extra For U/C

Just seen this on the BBC website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55695301
    Last edited by StarBright; 18-01-21 at 09:05.

In the meantime(11 months)folk on legacy benefits get nothing extra to cover the same expenses u/c claimants have.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel70 View Post
    In the meantime(11 months)folk on legacy benefits get nothing extra to cover the same expenses u/c claimants have.
    This I just can't understand at all.

So they have given it for a year, then they will either get it extended by Labour pushing for it, or I've seen it suggested on Sky News today that they may get a one off payment of £750.

Nobody is talking about those stuck on the legacy benefits, ESA and Carers, who have had nothing extra this whole time, and still won't with these new proposals. Surely this isn't right?

There was a petition on the Gov website to try and get legacy benefits the extra £20 too. Maybe 200 people bothered to sign it. People need to start kicking up a fuss about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSkies View Post
    There was a petition on the Gov website to try and get legacy benefits the extra £20 too. Maybe 200 people bothered to sign it. People need to start kicking up a fuss about it.
    Can people contact their sympathetic MP's? Surely there's some Labour MP's that would listen and appeal for it. It's just not right or fair, especially those on the lowly carers allowance, it's a pittance, that would make such a huge difference and they've been deprived and will continue to be now and overlooked.

I contacted my MP — they weren’t interested. Said to apply for UC if it’d give me more money. Nevermind the stress of going through my original ESA application... nobody would voluntarily go through that unless they absolutely had to.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSkies View Post
    I contacted my MP — they weren’t interested. Said to apply for UC if it’d give me more money. Nevermind the stress of going through my original ESA application... nobody would voluntarily go through that unless they absolutely had to.
    That's terrible, not to mention they've asked people not to do that as they had such an overwhelming amount of new claims and they were already backed up with just the transitions and regular new claims. This just shouldn't be allowed, I have no idea why people are being forgotten and left behind. The Labour MP's are saying it's the difference between being able to eat, but they're not pushing for it for everyone else, so do they not care if they are not eating? It makes zero sense, one set are being raised up and the others left behind.

There's absolutely no point in contacting mine because of who they are.

The previous government petition has closed. I wonder if it’s worth starting a new one, written in a more emotive way and taking advantage of the current outrage about UC.

The latest from the BBC on the £20 uplift for U/C.

Universal credit: All options on the table for PM and Sunak

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55709954

Whatever my thoughts were in the earlier thread, I am disgusted that the government are dragging their heels on renewing this, they clearly dont want to do it.

Seems to be a proposal for £1000 payment instead which I expect is because they dont want people getting used to an extra £20 a week income whilst the lump sum can be treated as a one off.

Hopefully Rashford steps in again to shame them.