Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Labour presses PM for action ahead of benefit vote To Keep £20 Extra For U/C

Martin Lewis show asked Rishi about giving the uplift to legacy benefit people & he said no because it is to help people who are/were working that have been affected by covid 19.

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    Martin Lewis show asked Rishi about giving the uplift to legacy benefit people & he said no because it is to help people who are/were working that have been affected by covid 19.

Surely we have all been affected by covid.

The biggest losers are those not able to claim UC who have to claim new style ESA/JSA.

In that case those who have recently had to claim New style JSA/ESA and recently lost their employment due to covid should be getting the extra £20 a week.

I myself had been working full time up to December 2020 and had been getting the extra in WTC and now get the assessment rate of new style ESA (conts based) so I consider myself to be affected still lose out, but I cannot claim UC as we have savings/shares and partner works.

I had a similar discussion about Tax Credits on a landlord/tenant forum yesterday.

WTC has always been a bit of a strange benefit because although it is an Income Related benefit there is no saving/capital limit like the other Income Realted benefits have.

I believe that happened because Tax Credits are administered, and paid, by HMRC rather than by the DWP and because Tax Credits are paid to workers so the government didn't want to put them off, or be seen as penanlising them for, saving.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    The budget has a lot of political use of the money, based on ideology.

Look at the towns budget, the BBC researched the areas, and most were tory/leave voting areas, its the same thing with the UC increase, they are targeting who they believe to be their own people in terms of voters, using public money to win votes. Rishi's comment more or less states in indirect terms that people who have not been very recently working dont matter. There will be no comeback as for decades the only winning vote policy with benefits is when they cut.

What I would find interesting is maybe if nukecad can offer an opinion, is there any legal grounds in terms of human rights to argue that the base level of legacy benefits is not high enough to live on, with the supporting evidence been that the current government in power have determined it isnt enough for their own voting base to live on who have recently lost their jobs.

Regarding Labour they have decided the battle is the town budget rather than this so I dont expect much from them.

I just watched the martin interview, finally someone asking good questions, but those answers, they are truly shameful, not just on legacy benefits but also SSP. So basically the chancellor openly admitted they were only targeting workers, not even people recently made unemployed but those who are claiming UC to top up wages. The SSP whilst not relevant to this thread was also a very shocking answer, it more or less was an answer along the lines we dont care about people who have to rely on SSP. It has some bearing though as SSP is a payment made to cover for sickness, the difference been its for people who currently have an employer, so the answer to the SSP question tells you what they think of those who cant work because they sick/disabled.
    Last edited by worried33; 05-03-21 at 00:45.

I absolutely agree with the bit about it tells you what they think of those who can't work because they are sick/disabled. It's always been the same & if it was ever going to change then it would of been now. If a global pandemic does not make the government see sill/ill/disabled people as more favourable then there is nothing that ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    TWhat I would find interesting is maybe if nukecad can offer an opinion, is there any legal grounds in terms of human rights to argue that the base level of legacy benefits is not high enough to live on,
    They have already been castigated for it many times, including:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/n...poverty-expert

The government's response to the UN report (you'll find links to other reports in there):
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-7367/

The UK Government said it “strongly disagree[d]” with the conclusions reached in the report,
    Which says it all.
    Basically it's the UK government that sets UK law, and they ignore anything that doesn't suit their policy.

The European Court of Human Rights can make them change some things, and they tried to sneak in an 'escape' from ECHR oversight as part of Brexit.
    It didn't work though and the UK is still subject to ECHR rulings:
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2021/...rt-membership/
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-03-21 at 15:04.

Which is ironic as I think hancock recently said he couldnt live on SSP.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a9413821.html

I think that the UK government will simply ignore ECHR rulings whenever they don't like them. (It wouldn't be the first time).

They already try their hardest to ignore/overturn UK High Court and Appeal Court rulings against them.

You can actually see it as a strange game - The government write and pass laws to suit their current policy, the courts then tell the government just what the law they have written actually means, and if it breaks any existing laws.

It all takes time but it's a strength of our political system that the courts can overrule the government; it helps prevent governments becoming dictatorships.
    It's not perfect, but nothing ever is.

Politicians don't like it of course. (Big current example is would-be dictator Trump).

A couple of interesting quotes from the Office for Budget Responsibility:
    https://obr.uk/efo/economic-and-fisc...ok-march-2021/
    (I've not read it myself - it's numerous documents all very long).

Universal credit (UC) rollout.
    The pandemic means the Government has delayed the managed migration phase of the UC pilot scheme until April 2022.
    While this is now almost three years later than first planned, it does not further extend the September 2026 end date, which remains nine years behind schedule.
    Increased ‘natural migrations’ from legacy benefits due to pandemic.
    Covid has led to reduced anticipated managed migration volumes by 50,000 (and saving of £470m between 2020/21 and 2025/26).
    You might imply from that that they are using the covid uplift in UC to 'encourage' Natural Migration to UC so they can save money on Managed Migration.

There’s a new petition about applying the £20/week to ESA: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/570877

Please sign and share.