Thread: Missing NI contributions

Missing NI contributions

Hi everyone, Im 2 months off pension age and have just been told that Im missing 2 years of N.I. contributions from a few years ago. But Im on benefits, Im in support group and recieve PIP, during the time the contributions werent paid I was on benefits. So whatever has happened its not my fault, ive changed nothing and given them correct information as required.

No one informed me that my contributions had been stopped so I had no opportunity to put things right, can I be penalised for their mistakes ?

Im sure there is Legislation regarding this but I cant find it.

It happens a lot and is easy to sort out, it took 17 days to get my NI record corrected in similar circumstances.

This post has a template email that you can use, you sent it to your regional Complaints Resolution Team.
    The email address for your CRT to send it to is in the post above it (Although last checked a year ago they should still be valid).
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post134888

You can see from that post and the DWPs reply in the following one how easily I got my NI contributions record corrected using that email wording.

As yours seems to be for particular years then you could change that "no NI credits have been made since the tax year" to "no NI credits have been made for the tax years 20## to 20## inclusive"
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-01-21 at 13:40.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you nukecad, spot on as allways, I just got a call from them saying it was now sorted out, bit of a change from yesterday when they wanted £1500 to sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by flyte View Post
    ... they wanted £1500 to sort it out.
    HMRC's phone jockeys first stance to anyone will be that you have to pay an amount to make up for any missing NI payments.

And they will be quite happy if someone pays extra for 'missed' NI payments, even if it makes no change whatsoever to their pension entitlement.
    People should always check that before paying any old NI. A working friend of mine was going to backpay for 3 years shortly before she reached pension age - until I looked at it and pointed out to her that paying it would not change her pension in the slightest.

Obviously though as these are NI credits and not NI payments it not missed payments that need making up but simply a DWP administrative error.
    ie. The DWP 'forgot' to tell HMRC to apply credits.

As I say this situation is rife, and has been for years.
    In my experience, both here and elsewhere, most people on benefits who check their NI record will find that NI credits have been missed at sometime, usually sometime in the past 10 years.

It's one of those quiet scandals that never quite makes it to the national press, probably because it is so easy to sort out once noticed.

From your experience it looks as if HMRC have also got used to it and are now checking with DWP and sorting it out when someone asks about it, rather than telling the questioner to contact DWP themselves to get it sorted out.

If you haven't got one I'd request a full, or updated, statement of you NI contributions.
    I'd advise everyone on benefits to do this as a check that NI is being credited.
    You can do it online these days, or by post if you want to:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...butions-ca3916
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.