Thread: What can you claim while waiting 6 months to qualify for Attendance Allowance

What can you claim while waiting 6 months to qualify for Attendance Allowance

My father has had a stroke and needs care.

With the 6 months waiting time before being eligible for Attendance Allowance, and therefore the Carer's component of ESA for myself, are there any other benefits that can be claimed?

I don't think so.

As your father is claiming AA then presumably he is over pension age and already claiming his State Pension, and Pension Credits if applicable.

For yourself he needs to be getting AA before you can claim Carers Allowance and so get the Carer Premium with IR ESA.

However if you switch and claim Universal Credit instead of ESA then you can get the Carer Element added to UC if you care for someone for more than 35 hours a week.
    There is no need no need with UC for the cared for person to be getting a benefit.

You can't currently claim UC if you have SDP with your ESA, but that will change on January 27th.

You need to check very carefully before switching to UC, (and we used to advise waiting for Managed Migration), but in most cases you should be better off switching.
    That may not be the case though if you currently have SDP.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.