Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fridge/Freezer packed up.

The PIP (and LCWRA) descriptors do not cover unconciousness, only the LCW descriptors cover unconciousness

So the only way to qualify for PIP on grounds of unconciousness is on not being able to manage daily activities 'safely'.
    For LCWRA it's higher at 'substantial risk of harm'.

However with my particular Hypersomnia condition you do not suddenly fall unconcious so there is no such risk.
    I can fall unconcious suddenly from epilepsy, or even the cardiac condition causing very low blood pressure, but not frequently enough for it to be classed as a 'substantial' risk of harm.

Being honest I do have to agree with that for PIP, I don't need supervision to carry out normal daily activities safely.

I don't agree with there being no unconcious descriptor for LCWRA, after all if you are unconcious for long/frequent periods then you can't reasonably do work related activities.

Frequent sudden unconciousness is somewhat covered by 'substantial risk of harm'.
    But the DWP's argument there is that the risk is usually not changed whether you are found FFW, LCW or LCWRA.
    And the way that the special regs are worded it's only if such risk would be reduced by being found LCW/LCWRA that those regs count.
    (The 2 special regs actually say it the other way round; "there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if the claimant were found not to have limited capability for ...")

At my last ESA50/WCA I argued the point that when unconcious I fit all of the LCW and LCWRA descriptors, from mobilising to taking nutrition, with the exception of behaving inappropriately to other people.
    So it then becomes a question of how frequent/prolonged the unconciousness is.

I also argued/noted that if I was unconcious for an extended period (days has happened in the past) then I am at substantial risk of harm through dehydration and lack of nutrition, and from not being able to take my cardiac meds.
    But of course as said above, being found 'not to have LCWRA' would not increase that risk so that particular argument was (legally) irrelevant. I was just making a point (OK maybe with fingers crossed).

Nothing came of those arguments, as expected, but I'll push the 'fits all descriptors' point harder at my next WCA.
    If they had found me FFW this time I would have pushed it further at tribunal.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-01-21 at 16:10.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Madness!

I feel so much for you because you do so much for all of us helping us through all the forms & explaining what else could be available to apply for & yet you get next to nothing. Dose not seem fair

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    Dose not seem fair
    Whoever led you to believe that the benefits system is fair? (Oh yeah, the government).

It's better than nothing but riddled with inconsitencies and inequalities (and plain stupidity), mostly caused by changing government policy over the years.
    There are always going to be those who find themselves in the holes of being 'X' but not quite being 'Y'.

Like anything else we just have to cope with it the best we can, and help others when we can.

Glad you got it sorted Nuke my fridge freezer on borrowed time but cos of covid they wont bring it in and couldn't do that myself. i'm surprised you don't get pip. Maybe get an argos card just for emergencies cos can buy now pay later and if you pay a bit a month before due date wont have interest to pay. Take care lets hope the year gets better for you

Once I realised it was just the cold (freezing) weather so the thermostat wasn't tripping it's been easy to keep on top of it.

(Open the fridge door and turn it to full for 1/2 hour each day, it's cold enough in the utility room not to make any difference to the contents of the fridge, and running it for 1/2 hour keeps the freezer temperature right down).

PS. That joint of beef has been in braising in the oven for the past 4 hours, house smells very nice.
    Yorkshire pudding batter is made and resting overnight in the fridge.
    No prizes for guessing what I'm having for dinner tomorrow. (and Monday, and butties through the week).

Might be a silly question but my house insurance covers things like that, doesn’t yours?

HMO/shared house (although I've got it to myself at the moment), it's the Landlords Fridge/Freezer but is an extra and not part of the orignal rental which includes a built-in fridge.
    (He put it in here as a favour when he bought himself a bigger one for his growing family).