Thread: New claim after six years on pip.

New claim after six years on pip.

Hi All. Hoping for some advice. I’ve been on DLA/PIP for about twenty years so know my way round the process pretty well. Sadly my daughter who has been unwell for sometime was granted PIP lower award for both components about six years ago. About two years ago she was awarded nothing but won on Appeal the lower for mobility and Higher rate care component.

She should have been assessed back in April but because of Covid was told they’d review her case next March 2021. Last Saturday she received a letter saying that her award finishes on March 21st 2021 and if she wanted to continue her PIP claim she should ring a specific number.
    Given that I help her with calls etc I rang and when prompted chose the existing claims number. When I eventually got through the advisor told me I should have used the new claims number. Apparently she has to start her claim as though it’s the first time again. This has never happened to me in all the years I’ve received PIP. Is this right as she’ll still get paid till March ‘21 surely she should simply be filling an ongoing form shouldn’t she or have things changed? Rather confused and could potentially mean a gap in payments if a new claims not accepted by March and surely you can’t make a new claim when you already have a current claim.

Anyway would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks I’m advance.

All PIP renewals are effectively new claims because PIP awards usually have a defined end date. If the decision on the new claim is made before the existing claim was due to end, the existing claim will be terminated from the date of the decision and the new decision will take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    All PIP renewals are effectively new claims because PIP awards usually have a defined end date. If the decision on the new claim is made before the existing claim was due to end, the existing claim will be terminated from the date of the decision and the new decision will take effect.

Hi. Thanks for your response. I understand each time you apply it’s basically a new claim until they’ve made a decision, but what I’m describing is they’re literally making her do a completely new claim. This is the process when you have never made a claim for PIP before and you ring the new claims number and after a twenty minute or so conversation, they then decide to send you a claim form to fill in. That’s never happened to me. Whenever I’ve been reviewed I have had a claim for sent with the renewal letter. So I find this really odd.

I got a letter telling me that my PIP ended in March but in light of the Covid crisis they had extended my PIP until 12 October 2021 . I was well happy as it would mean another 6 months without worry of having to be prodded about by some idiot HP . However a few days later yet another brown envelope fell through the door this one contained a PIP renewal form . I got on the phone and after an age waiting on hold spoke to a young lady who insisted on chewing gum down the phone . When I asked what was going on and told her about the 6 month extension etc the only reply I got is “ We have changed our mind and you have to fill in the form and have it back in by the date stated “ and put the phone down on me . As the date stated was only 4 days in the future I rang again and explained that as no assistance was being offered to fill in the form and due to the arthritis in my hands it would take me much longer then that I got a 6 week extension . I
    In the mean time my wife sent her form of and got a text telling her they had received her form yet though mine went off about 2 weeks earlier then hers I did not get a text . So I phoned up after listenibg to “ Go to our website at dot gov.uk many many times I then waited an age for my call to be answered ( at least they’ve changed the music from Vivaldi’s 4 seasons “ When I eventually got through I was told they received it the day after I posted it so yes we do have it .Guess what she put the phone down on me . I have to state that I have as much confidence in my claim being handled correctly as I do in Boris telling the truth regarding absolutely anything .

Thanks for posting about your wife receiving a text to say her form had arrived but that you did not receive a text, Stig.

I returned my form several weeks ago and have heard nothing too.

It is frustrating to say the least, that the DWP text some people, but not others.

Either it is the policy to inform claimants by text that their form has arrived, so everyone should be notified or it's not policy. It really should not be random.

But then I should know better....the whole PIP process is random.