Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown Envelope Asking To See Bank Statement

Brilliant idea Nuke,

But alas we have no scanner.

Ohh I've just had an idea! if I take a picture of it then send the picture to family member in an email they can then print the picture, would that be OK?

StarBright, most printers have a scan facility now.

Family member has had it for years probably why it hasn't got a scanner

Photo should be fine as long as it shows the full page(s) and is legible.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks Nuke .........

If you think about it - that would be a Photo Copy. e

Yes it sure would be I'm going with trying to get the company to re print it as that can be done either this Tuesday or Thursday. If not then I will take a picture & send to family member to photocopy it just after Christmas & get a proof of postage then

I've just had the brown envelope moment!

They are changing how much they pay me gulp!

Read it a few times used the calculator & they are going to pay me an extra £4 a week starting from Jan 5th I don't bank online, I would be better off if I did but am scared due to security reasons so that's why I don't know they have changed my payment amount. I will now call the bank & do an automotive phone check & see what they have payed in this month so far. They have also dropped me down in how much savings I've got so now need to work out if I'm over that new limit which I think I am.

Oh gawd it's never simple is it

Phew!

First payment with the extra £4 is due Monday I am over so have until Monday to get down to the new level

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    They have also dropped me down in how much savings I've got so now need to work out if I'm over that new limit which I think I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    First payment with the extra £4 is due Monday I am over so have until Monday to get down to the new level
    I'm not sure what you are meaning? I think perhaps you are not quite clear on how it works.

They haven't changed any limits, the limits are the same as they always have been.
    The only thing that has changed is how much savings you actually have.

They will have based the (new) payment on how much in savings you currently have as shown on your bank statement, which is why they wanted the statement.

The calculation itself is pretty simple.
    You lose £1 of IR ESA for every £250 (or part of £250) you have above £6,000 in savings.

So if you've now got an extra £4 a week then that says that your savings have dropped by between 4x/5x £250, between £1000 to £1250, since they last calculated it.

If you update them more frequently, ie. everytime you cross a £250 limit, then they will adjust your payments £1 at a time as it happens.
    If you don't tell them then it won't get adjusted until next time they ask for your statements.

In other words if you had told them earlier then you could have been getting an extra £1 a week, then an extra £2 a week, then an extra £3 a week each time your savings dropped by £250.
    So it's in your interests to tell them, and send a new bank statement, each time your savings drop (or increase) by £250.

Because it's your responsibility to tell them of changes they won't (usually) backpay if savings went down and they have been deducting too much for savings.
    However if savings went up and they have been deducting too little then they will want that, because you didn't tell them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

To calculate what your deduction for savings should be at any particular time:
    • Calculate your current savings minus £6,000.
    • Divide that answer by 250.
    • Add 1 and discard anything after the decimal point.
    • The number left is how many pounds they should be deducting from your IR ESA.

For example let's say savings are £8,550
    • 8550 - 6000 = 2550
    • 2550 / 250 = 10.2
    • Add 1 = 11.2, and discard anything after the decimal = 11
    So £11 should be deducted from IR ESA.
    Last edited by nukecad; 14-01-21 at 17:51.