Thread: Starting work.

Starting work.

My son is starting work Monday he told his work coach today and she told him to do a change of circumstances on Monday for his UC and he will keep getting UC until his first payday, that's not right is it?

Interestingly although it doesn't sound right it can work that way; because UC can be paid when you are working.
    His Work Coach has simplified and hasn't explained it very well though.

It's different from Jobseekers Allowance in that respect. JSA would stop as soon as you started working regardless of when you first payday was.

UC depends on what you are paid during a monthly period, not on if you do any work or for how many hours.

That can sometimes be a problem if you end up with two months pay in one months UC period, as can sometimes happen at Christmas when people get paid early, it depends on their particular UC monthly period.
    (It's a problem they are trying to solve).

So what he gets paid for UC in the month he starts work will depend on how much he gets paid during that UC month.
    Which in turn will depend on when his UC month starts and ends, and where in that month he gets paid.
    Each persons monthly UC period is different, depending on what date it was when they claimed.

Obviously after the first month that settles down, but the first month can be a bit funny depending on when in the UC period you get your first wages.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-12-20 at 08:30.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad his claim started on September 4th he gets paid UC fortnightly on the 10th and 24th so does that mean his month finishes on the 24th? his work contract says they pay wages on the 26th.

He will be earning too much to claim UC so it's only the first month he might be entitled to some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby123 View Post
    his claim started on September 4th he gets paid UC fortnightly on the 10th and 24th so does that mean his month finishes on the 24th? his work contract says they pay wages on the 26th.
    Mmm a bit more awkward but as I understand it UC is still a monthly period and the fortnightly 'alternative payment arrangement' doesn't change that.
    It just change when payments are made.
    (Even in Scotland where fortnightly payments of UC are more standard. Although not taken up a lot or reverted to monthly by the claimant, which is another interesting story).

I'd never looked into how they do the fortnightly payments, with monthly payments it's supposed to be seven days after your UC monthly period ends.
    From the dates you give it seems the fortnightly payments are half 7 days after the UC month end, and the other half 14 days later.
    (Which means there could then be up to 17 days till the next payment if it's a 31 day month).

So if he get a payment on the 10th that would seem about right - 3rd (end of monthly period) + 7 days would be the 10th, so that would say his UC month is from the 4th, the date he claimed, to the 3rd.

From what you say then assuming his first wage will be 26th Jan he should get a UC payment on 24th Dec, 10th Jan, and 24th Jan.
    However if is first wage is 26 Dec that will mean it is paid in his 4th Dec to 3th Jan period, and so reduce his payments in Jan, or stop them if what he gets paid is high enough.

I think you have to say don't plan on anymore money from UC after his 24th Dec payment but, unlike the old jobseekers, there may still be some to come.
    He is still owed the payment on the 24th Dec because that's from last month, if he was being paid UC monthly he would have already had that money on the 10th.
    If you treat it like JSA where benefit stops as soon as you start work then you can only get a bonus.
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-12-20 at 22:16. Reason: Some points clarified for any future readers.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'm not bothered about the money I wasn't expecting him to get any money from Monday anyway it's just that it's a government kickstart job he will be doing for 6 months(with the possibility of being kept on)and I read about being able to reclaim UC without doing a whole new claim if it's within 6 months so I thought if he gets UC this month it would mean he was only missing payments for 5 months payments instead of 6 but I don't think it's going to work out like that.