Thread: Petition Against Private Companies Running the GP Out-of-Hours Service

Post Petition Against Private Companies Running the GP Out-of-Hours Service

Copied this from an enail I just received:

Update: over 70,000 of us have signed the petition demanding an urgent MP investigation into GP out-of-hours services provided by private health companies.

If we can get the petition to 100,000, we can deliver it by hand to a powerful committee of MPs. With 100,000 names they won’t be able to overlook the huge public demand for a full investigation.

Lots of 38 Degrees members have shared deeply worrying stories about privately run out-of-hours GP services. We can help make sure no more lives are put at risk. Let’s demand an investigation now.

Please sign to help get the petition to 100,000 today:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/GP-out-of-hours

---------------

Previous email:

“A seven-week-old baby with a suspected respiratory infection died in November after repeated calls to the [out-of-hours GP] service over several days, during which it is alleged to have failed to follow protocols in key areas. Sources with knowledge of the case say they fear a four-hour wait for a doctor to see the baby at a Harmoni-run clinic at the Whittington hospital in London on the Saturday he died may have contributed to the tragedy.”
    The Guardian, 18th December, 2012 [1]

Click here to demand a proper parliamentary investigation in to the private health companies that could be responsible for this child’s death:

Most of us know how it feels to call out a doctor at night, or over the weekend. At Christmas, knowing the NHS is there to rely on throughout the holidays offers comfort to us all. Whether we’re coping with a poorly baby, an elderly loved one, or an illness of our own, it’s good to know there’s someone to rely on if we need it.

But now, just before the holidays, we’re finding out that private companies like Serco and Care UK are putting that service in danger. They’ve been cashing in on contracts to provide GP services at the weekend and overnight. Now it looks like they’ve not been doing a proper job - and lives are at risk as a result.

It’s time to rein in these greedy companies. There’s a powerful committee of MPs that has the power to do a proper investigation into their behaviour - and stop them getting further contracts if they’ve been doing a bad job. But there are lots of demands on the committee’s time. They’ll only investigate if they know there’s great public concern. [2]

If we work together now, we can prove that there is strong public concern. Together we can demand a full investigation into GP out-of-hours services provided by private health companies. Help stop the private health industry endangering people's lives with dodgy out-of-hours coverage – add your name now:

It’s not just this company in London that’s in trouble over out-of-hours services. In Cornwall, another private company, Serco, took over GP out-of-hours cover last year. They now stand accused of failings which led to just one GP being on duty for the whole of Cornwall, and of falsifying records to hide problems with their service. [3]

The Public Accounts Committee have a strong track record at holding big bosses to account – they recently did just that on tax dodging, hauling companies like Starbucks in for questioning in Parliament. [4] Let's come together to demand they do the same for private health companies.

Poor private GP out-of-hours services put lives at risk. Sign the petition to the Public Accounts Committee for a full investigation now:

The NHS isn’t perfect, but we know how precious it is. At its best it can transform lives, saving people not just from illness but from the fear and loneliness that go alongside it. When private companies like Serco and Care UK abuse this trust, they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with it.

Help put the pressure on MPs to launch an inquiry into these private health companies by signing the petition now:https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/GP-out-of-hours

Thanks for being involved,

Hannah, Becky, Robin and the 38 Degrees team

NOTES
    [1] The Guardian: Harmoni out-of-hours GP service putting patients at risk, say doctors - http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-patients-risk
    [2] Find out more about the Public Accounts Committee here:
    http://www.parliament.uk/pac
    [3] The Guardian: Serco gave NHS false data about its GP service 252 times:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...false-data-gps BBC: Serco out-of-hours Cornwall GP records falsified: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-19665640
    [4] BBC: Starbucks, Google and Amazon grilled over tax avoidance:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20288077

Signed it hope there are enough signed
    Sea Queen

I have to say the out of hours service I recieved was first class. Infact the Serco Doc's saved my life.
    Devon Doc's after hours are 100% better than the GP's at my parents Gp practice. Very kind and very curtious.

dun serving
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornwall View Post
    I have to say the out of hours service I received was first class. In fact the Serco Doc's saved my life.
    Devon Doc's after hours are 100% better than the GP's at my parents Gp practice. Very kind and very courteous.
    Make sure you only get sick after hours then

Update 15/01/2013 Good news: the petition to demand a full investigation into GP out-of-hours services has been signed by over 130,000 of us. The 38 Degrees office team are now organising the petition hand-in to the committee of MPs. Fingers crossed.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

i was basically disgusted with my out of hours doctors service.

i was up most of the night with very bad abdo pains which i had for a number of day and then got worse. telephoned the out of hours around 1am where someone took my details and told me a nurse would be calling me back.

when the telephone went i saw the telephone number and thought i recognized it but wasn't sure. after more messing around talking the nurse she said a doctor would call me back to which i thought it would be an appointment.

after the phone call with the nurse i then only realized that my out of hours had only put me through to NHS direct and that i was only to speak to a doctor which could of been 4 to 6 hour wait yeah

they keep hammering about only using A+E in emergencies but due to the pain i was getting i had no choice but to get to hospital where a blood test was showing infection.

at the time i felt so cheated and annoyed that my out of hours would be passing people to NHS direct where they then try to fob people, instead of offering out of hours appointments .

a nurse on the end of a phone can't see what is going on with someone no matter what.

if people are finding that their out of hours doctors are up to this sort of thing, passing the buck to NHS direct and cutting people down on out of hours appointment then they should think seriously about trying to get to an hospital no matter how trivial.

in the end you never know what the problem might be and how serious.

What I don't understand is why the GP surgeries don't start clamping down on this and actually sorting out provisions for out-of-hours services.
    I know that everytime you get treadted at hospital the GP will receive a letter stating the reasons - maybe they need to be billed everytime it isn't an Accident or an Emergency - that would prompt them to take action 9if it was coming out of the surgery's budgets).
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

the whole idea of NHS direct is that they were supposed to deal with concerns of people and advise them to see a doctor where necessary or tell them to ring for an ambulance.

then the idea of the new 111 service which is in my area was to deal with people who have definite problems (non emergencies )going on referring them on to out of hours doctors and then 999 dealing with emergencies.

i found out that this 111 service in my area is doing something called a green and red triage so if you end in the green now basically you are up the spout and are been dumped on NHS direct or made to wait till your doctors open in the morning to which you might get an appointment if you are lucky.

my concern with this triage system they are now operating is that you could be sat there with some kind of pain which they think might be something or nothing and then end in the green system but for all they know you could be having a dam heart attack.

it does have to be a concern if the system does have serious flaws or they are now doing this to save money at the risk to others.