Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my Motability Car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying my Motability Car

Had a very quick scan to see if this has been asked before but could not find anything.

I want to buy my motability car. Not one like it, I want to buy the actual one I am using at the moment.

It was due for renewal a year ago, but the dealers have stopped making this model.
    I got an extension of the agreement so was able to carry on looking for a another suitable car.
    I don't do a lot of miles in it and believe that I can save a bit of money rather than having the full amount of mobility going on it.

I have been in touch with motability who says that the best thing to do is go and have a word with the dealer.
    Did that, but the dealer said they don't sell them when the cars come in, they just take them to an auction and sold that way.
    Also, the dealer said to go and talk to motability about it.

Has anyone else been/is in the same boat as me and wish to purchase the actual car they are using now?

No, I haven't been in the same boat, I'm sure someone will come with a more reliable opinion, but in the meantime... here's mine: Speak with motability, tell them you want to buy the current car you have on motability, and you need a price. If they suggest the dealer that means probably they didnt understand what you need, or you can tell them that the dealer was not helpful. Anyway, best way is to speak with Motability...

Quote Originally Posted by colin_21 View Post
    No, I haven't been in the same boat, I'm sure someone will come with a more reliable opinion, but in the meantime... here's mine: Speak with motability, tell them you want to buy the current car you have on motability, and you need a price. If they suggest the dealer that means probably they didnt understand what you need, or you can tell them that the dealer was not helpful. Anyway, best way is to speak with Motability...
    Thanks for the answer.
    Will try Motability again.

Quote Originally Posted by railfrog View Post
    Thanks for the answer.
    Will try Motability again.
    About 3 months before your lease ends you will receive a letter from Motability. When you receive this letter give them a Phone and advise them that you now wish to buy this car and ask them to send you a price for the car. This they will do and if the price is agreeable with you, you will be anle to buy the car at the stated price.

You are under no obligation to buy and if for some reason you change your mind and do not wish to buy the car there will be no problem.

PS If you contact Mobility about buying your car before the 3 month letter they will give you a price for what the age of the is at that moment. If you wait for the 3 month letter and if this is not due for another year, then they will give you a price for the age of the car then. In other words if you did ask say a year later then the price would be less due to depreciation. So the later you ask the less you pay.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 07-12-20 at 13:37.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Uau. Shocker. When did they change this? I always thought you do get the option of buying it... Here's the more reliable source - motability's website: https://www.motability.co.uk/contact...ease-agreement

Hi Railfrog, any news from Motability? is this a mistake or have they changed the terms...?

It's just the way that they do it now.

Selling them all through selected 'trade' auction houses cuts down on mobility's paperwork costs.

Unfortunately you can't even ask your dealer which auction house he sends it to and then go and bid on it yourself - The auctions are for dealers/motor trade only.

https://g3remarketing.co.uk/cms/motability/
    They are ideal stock for trade buyers who want some of the most competitive vehicles on the market.
    Due to the nature of how Motability operates, unfortunately we are unable to offer their vehicles to private bidders in G3 auctions.
    https://www.bca.co.uk/buy/useful-inf...on/motability/
    Please note: All Motability sales are open to MyBCA Silver cardholders and above only.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I’m not sure I’m reading this right but what has the dealer got to do with it?

Like its been said Motability will give you the price they want for the car when the 3 year term is up.

I bought my Motability car in 2017 before rejoining Motability in 2018 and its a straight forward procedure however the price they ask for is more or less the same price you would get at a dealers second-hand showroom for a car of the same model, trim and condition and the only thing in your favour is you know how your Motability cars has been treated over the 3 years you have least it while the car in the second-hand showroom might have had the guts thrashed out of it and poorly serviced.

Chris, have you read the thread, or my previous post? Motability's website doesn't mention the possibility of buying the car at the end of contract, not any more. They must have changed the procedures in the last 2 or 3 years, or their website is misleading. Thats why I was curious if railfrog got more answers from motability on the phone...