Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccination.

I also get conflicted about the number of deaths from Covid.

This is my 'thinking out loud' and some of you may not want to read this, look away now

The last figure I saw for the UK was 126,000 deaths attributed as 'related to covid' in the last year, which yes is a lot of deaths.

There is some debate about how many of those are actually due to covid or would have happened anyway and how many covid just 'speeded up' - statistics again, use the statistic that supports your point of view.

I've been stood on a football ground where there were over 100,000 other spectators - the rest of the town carried on with their Saturday shopping or whatever they were doing and did not miss that 100,000 in the slightest.
    Obviously not the same as most of that 100.000 would be going home aftter the match - but you sort of see what I'm thinking.

The last similar pandemic to this one was a hundred years ago (well before the NHS) an estimated 228,000 died in the UK from the Spanish Flu epidemic. (and covid may reach that yet).

The global mortality rate from Spanish Flu is not known, but years after the Spanish Flu pandemic it is now estimated to have been between 10% to 20% of those who were infected.
    Which is about the same as the reported death rate from Covid from those who are infected. (Depending on which statistics you look at, but they seem to aggree on that).

The big difference there is that there was no NHS a hundred years ago so you might expect mortality to be higher back then, which shows that without the NHS we would have been in real trouble (as countries without a comprehensive health system are now).

But percentages are very misleading - depending on what statistics you use, numbers of deaths per head of population or number of deaths per infected person is just the start.

In the end all you can do is try to make yourself as safe as you can, and let all the politcal bollocks run it's course.

Sorry, rambling again.
    Last edited by nukecad; 25-03-21 at 00:52.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Never apologise for rambling I was thinking out loud in the post above yours & I've found a lot can come form that because it's sometimes ideas or feelings of a situation that can become something for the good.

Don't worry I understand the way your putting the amount of people who have died in context to other things does not offend me, I can separate emotions of people dying to facts & figures.

It actually helps.

I don't think there is anyone alive (except the numpty's) that does not understands the urgency of vaccines especially now the EU are starting their third wave. We will be affected by the third wave make no doubt about that. Chris Whitty was asked the other day will we be affected & the answer is yes. Because of the nature of the virus & how it's spread. He said that the third wave will find & infect the people who have not had the vaccine & it will find the people who have had the vaccine & it's not worked in them because there is always people who the vaccine dose not work in.

I hadn't heard the news say that Boris & the EU are going to try & work together & form a better relationship (nothing bad come from Boris just stroppy EU) & that more places need to be set up to make & ship the vaccines. It funny enough is what I said in the post above yours!

In theory the people who have been vaccinated & the vaccine has worked in could catch Covid 19 & have no symptoms or have symptoms but not go on to develop the worse symptoms that lands them in hospital & going on to die. So we should in theory see the numbers of new infections go up a lot but the death rate not go as high as before because more than half the adult population has been vaccinated especially the most vulnerable.

The way the deaths from Covid are collected isn't accurate anyway. It's who has died after so many days of a positive test, that's missing out all the people with no symptoms because they wouldn't go for a test because they don't know they have it. And a lot of people know they have it with symptoms & don't get a test & carry on working because they can't afford to stop working. And after only so long after they have a test means that it's missed if they have long covid & go on to die.

There is no way we will ever know how many people have & will die from covid 19
    Last edited by StarBright; 25-03-21 at 08:59.

Not a vaccine but a nose spray has gone on sale today at Lloyd's Pharmacy:

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/vir...al-nasal-spray

Cashing in on fear of Covid, does say not a substitute for the vaccine.

Sky news were doing a piece on it but unfortunately I wasn't listening it was just background noise until near the end when my brain picked up what it was about. I can't see any info on google yet. I'm guessing it's had to go through some sort of tests to see if it's safe on people but don't know (probably because I wasn't listening ) if it's clinically shown to help stop covid.

I wonder if it will be asked about at Boris's podium job at 5pm today.

I'm guessing more will come out about it soon

You have to remember that LLoyds Pharmacy is full of alternative (quack) medicines and remedies.

Just taking a quick look, and the first hits are interesting.

From LLoyds Pharmacy:
    VIRALEZE™ is an antiviral nasal spray that creates a moisturising and protective barrier in your nose. This barrier contains astodrimer sodium, ....
    Sodium is fair enough, probably just the saline base for the spray, but WTF is 'astodrimer'?

So- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31812702/
    Astodrimer is a dendrimer formulated in a vaginal gel to treat bacterial vaginosis (BV) and prevent recurrence.
    If you prefer a UK source then the NHS says: https://www.sps.nhs.uk/medicines/spl7013/

Oh-
    Dendrimers are highly branched, star-shaped macromolecules with nanometer-scale dimensions
    About the same size, and a (very) roughly similar shape, as a coronavirus molecule then.

So it's a watered down vaginal thrush treatment to spray up your nose?

Vagisil is much cheaper.
    (But I'm not going to be sticking any of that up my nostrils either).

EDIT- Further searching finds that it's also used a vaginal lubricant, and on condoms, to help protect against Herpes and HIV.
    Last edited by nukecad; 30-03-21 at 03:14.

I wasn't going to buy it nuke, I just didn't want to rubbish it until I found some info on it

This is interesting to read. It's only been tested on cells in a lab not on humans & it's a 3 log reduction & is not enough to completely prevent infection only 6 to 8 is required.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...vate-covid-19/

So with that info & the info you found I'll pass
    Last edited by StarBright; 30-03-21 at 07:45.

Up to 60m vaccine doses to be manufactured at Barnard Castle of the Novavax vaccine:

https://news.sky.com/story/up-to-60m...-says-12260230

This came out yesterday it's been a busy day today

Children 'well protected by Pfizer vaccine:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56591429

Results from trials in 2,260 adolescents in the US also suggest the vaccine is safe with no unusual side-effects.

The drug company says it will submit its data to the US and European authorities for emergency use in 12- to 15-year-olds.

There are currently no plans for children to be vaccinated in the UK

I know there is a trial going on for Oxford AZ jab starting from age 6 the results are not back yet

Has anybody else had a REACT COVID-19 testing research letter?

Whilst these are supposedly sent out at random I'm wondering if that is in fact what's happening.

Is it just by chance that I've just got one that is dated a fortnight to the day since I had the first jab.
    Or is it sent randomly to selected people?

I'm just wondering if this is a coincidence, or if others are also getting one 2 weeks after their jab?

TBH I've been 'randomly' invited to a number of different trials, for different things, in the last few years.
    Which makes me suspect that there is a list or some other marker on the files of those who have taken part in previous trials. (I've been taking part in the 'Cosmos' study for over 10 years).