Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccination.

I'm sorry but how many times does this need to be said. The reason there is no clinical evidence on Pfizer past three weeks is that Pfizer didn't produce any. Unlike Oxford/AstraZeneca which is being produced on a not for profit basis it is not in Pfizer's commercial interests to conduct longer trials. Saying the "UK screwed that up and tossed it into the bin" is accusing the members of the JCVI of deliberately and callously endangering public health

These are the Covid sub-committee members of the JCVI
    Professor Lim Wei Shen (Chair) (Nottingham University Hospitals)
    Professor Anthony Harnden, Deputy Chair (University of Oxford)
    Dr Kevin Brown (Public Health England)
    Dr Rebecca Cordery (Public Health England)
    Dr Maggie Wearmouth (East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust)
    Professor Matt Keeling (University of Warwick)
    Alison Lawrence (lay member)
    Professor Robert Read (Southampton General Hospital)
    Professor Anthony Scott (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine)
    Professor Adam Finn (University of Bristol)
    Dr Fiona van der Klis (National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Netherlands)
    Professor Maarten Postma (University of Groningen)
    Professor Simon Kroll (Imperial College London)
    Dr Martin Williams (University Hospitals Bristol)
    Professor Jeremy Brown (University College London Hospitals)
    Professor Bryan Charleston (The Pirbright Institute)
    Professor Lucy Yardley (University of Southampton)
    Professor Robert Dingwall (Nottingham Trent University)
    Professor Liz Miller (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine)

These are the people you say "screwed up that data and tossed it into the bin"

Seriously?

(edited to change typo 'date' to 'data'

You said: The reason there is no clinical evidence on Pfizer past three weeks is that Pfizer didn't produce any.

And that's why it's a guess

Nope I said exactly the correct thing the UK through out the clinical data on a guess as how other vaccines & viruses have worked in the past.

Nowhere have I said: is accusing the members of the JCVI of deliberately and callously endangering public health. You said that. If you read through all my reply's & good luck on that one I have said we don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing & linking to things & quoting people's names is not going to change the bare fact that this is a guess & as I've said many many times now, we do not know if this is a good thing or a bad thing only time will tell.

No where have I said this is a good or bad decision I have said we do not know, no more than you or all those people you listed. Until time has passed & they can do the data on us in finding out if it was a good decision or a bad one

Now please can we stop this? You are just repeating your point of view which leads to me repeating my point of view. This is going round & round & I don't have the energy to keep this going any longer. Coming here is to help people & find advice not a fight on people's opinions. I asked before I will ask again can we agree to disagree? It's now getting on my wick & I've a heck of a lot of other things on my shoulders & having this on top is not great.

Right some good news Another new Covid 19 vaccine is going to the UK's medicines regulator to be assessed to see if it's safe for us to use YAY!

The UK has secured 60 million doses of the jab, which will be made in Stockton-on-Tees in north-east England. It's two jabs but The doses are expected to be delivered in the second half of this year, if approved for use by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), the government said.

Covid-19: Novavax vaccine shows 89% efficacy in UK trials

Here's the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55850352

This new Novax one is an 'old style' vaccine rather than a RNA modifier.

I see the German government are now saying they don't want the Astrazenica vaccine for their over 65's.
    And they have 'interpreted' (fudged) the Phase 3 trial statistics to support their case.
    Of course that wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that the EU didn't order in time would it?
    (No doubt if/when they can get hold of some they will soon change their tune and say it' fine for over 65's again).

PS. The Astrazenica vaccine hasn't even been approved for use in the EU yet, it may be later today.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Nuke, I can not believe how badly the EU are behaving!

I think it's good to have an old style vaccine for covid as well as the new style shows that it can still be done the old way, & it's effective against the three new strains even though it was not made for that. So we will have 4 on the go eventually because we are supposed to be having the Moderna one in Spring & this one second half of the year.

It will become a conversation starter so which covid jab did you have then?

Blimey they are coming thick & fast now there is another Covid 19 vaccine Johnson & Johnson we have 30 million on order. You have one jab which the latest Covid-19 vaccine was found to be 72% effective in the US, and 66% overall in large trial.

Haven't read it but here's a link:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-29/...wo-shot-rivals

They have just said on Sky news that they are trialling it clinically now as a two dose vaccine to see if that gives a better protection

The EU have now approved the Astrazenica vaccine.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-eu-regulator
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55862233

But have also now decided that they want to block/ban exports of vaccines from the EU.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-von-der-leyen
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55864442

The Northern Ireland border move is particularly underhand, vetoing the Brexit deal less than a month since it came into effect.
    Under the Brexit deal, all products should be exported from the EU to Northern Ireland without checks.

But the EU believed this could be used to circumvent export controls, with NI becoming a backdoor to the wider UK.

NI First Minister Arlene Foster described the move as "an incredible act of hostility" by the EU.

The EU invoked Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol which allows parts of the deal to be unilaterally overridden.
    A short sighted move as that will lead to tit-for-tat blocks/bans, remember that it's european (Belguim and the Netherlands) production problems that have caused the current lack of Pfizer vaccine produced in the EU.
    Which is why they wanted to 'grab' a bigger share of the Pfizer produced for the UK. (and it seems the only way they can do that is by blocking exports to the UK).

Trade wars (and real wars) have started over less.
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-01-21 at 19:52.

I'm glad you explained that Nuke, I heard it & thought I must of got it wrong but nope it really happened

UK orders of Pfizer vaccine were coming through the Channel Tunnel anyway.

They've made the NI move simply as a 'backstop' to prevent the delivery route being changed if/when they block direct exports.

A major concern for the UK, that the news reporters don't seem to have considered yet, is how all this may affect the supply of other medications that are currently manufactured in the EU and shipped to the UK?

I wonder what Boris will do now. Arlene Foster want's him to invoke article 16 too but I don't understand what that would do