Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccination.

I hope this doesn't mean that the 2nd doses are going to be delayed beyond the 12 weeks if the booster is due during April or else it would have been a waste of money giving the 1st.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56435549

I don't think we know the reason why the supply is going to drop after the next couple of bumper weeks due to a shipment of vaccines from India.

Could be several reasons why, AZ haven't given & are not giving the EU a fraction of the doses they have on order is our supply slowing from them too?. Then is it due to the EU spitting their dummy out over the UK getting a huge amount of supply of vaccines & blocking them? Or is it just the lumpy supply?

Matt did a podium job & he is saying lumpy supply. And that they will not ask the 50 & overs to book their jabs yet & instead will carry on giving the second doses to people who are due them. So in other words stopping giving first doses & giving second doses as needed. They don't have enough in April to do both so prioritising second doses first.

BBC today are saying it's the shipment of vaccines from India that's causing the problem:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

Hopefully we won't be affected because we had the Pfizer one. No mention of there being a shortage of that.

Nope, & they are keeping back enough Oxford one's to give out the second jabs too

WHO has said the Oxford jab is safe. They looked into it after people abroad had blood clots after having the Oxford jab

Moderna vaccine is expected to start to come into the UK this April so that could be well timed to fill the gap that the shipment from India has left. I've heard the batch wasn't right so India couldn't ship it, but no evidence to back that up so could be wrong & just people chatting

Children in line for Covid jabs from AUGUST in time for new school year:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/144358...accine-august/

The study will test the AstraZeneca vaccine on 300 children aged six to 17, with the conclusions expected in June or July.

This would help stop the spread so much more lets hope it's safe on the 300 kids

What is it with the EU?
    (I'd ask if politicians are stupid be we already know that).

They say that they don't want to use the AZ vaccine, giving spurious excuses with no real proof.
    ("There's no proof, but it might not be as effective for over 80's", "There's no proof, but it might cause blood clots", There's no proof but whatever 'scare story' they come up with next).

Then they say that they want to block or restrict exports because they are worried that they won't have enough AZ vaccine for their own use.
    Which shows their concerns about using it are lies, they have no problem using it if they have enough.

So what they are telling their populations is that they don't want it, but in the next breath telling the world that they don't want anyone outside the EU to have it because they want it all for their own use.

It could backfire on them badly, and maybe has already, if you tell your population your have doubts/worries about the vaccine then many of them are not going to get vaccinated and you'll get a rise in cases again whenever you lift/ease lockdowns.
    Which could help explain the '3rd wave' that they are now seeing.

You could say leave them to wallow in a mess of their own making, but it's not that simple.
    Any increase in cases in the EU is certain to spread to it's neighbours, including the UK.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Nuke I'm a million percent confused now after reading this BBC website post. It say's that the AZ vaccine is made in the UK in two places Oxford and Keele. A third plant in Wrexham puts the vaccine into vials and packages it up for distribution.

The UK has ordered 100 million doses. Almost all will come from within the UK, but 10 million doses are being made by the Serum Institute in India.

Half of these have already been received, with half held up by delays.

AstraZeneca confirmed that the UK has not received any vaccines or components from the EU - apart from one "tiny" batch from the Leiden plant.

So why are we so worried that if the EU block vaccines going out of the EU according to the above that won't affect us anyway

Here's the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56483766

Basically the EU are in the doo doo & this lady is in full teenage strop mode threatening all sorts of things & then when Boris talks to her she say's no we won't stop vaccines going to the UK. Which brings me back to we are not getting any from the EU anyway! batch botched not coming

Yes, it's all confusing and childish.

For myself I can only see it as the European politicians posturing for the consumption of their own voters.
    At least posturing for the ones who can't be bothered to check the facts for themselves.
    It's the only way I can make any sense of it.

And from that BBC article it seems I was right and all this political posturing has simply managed to put their own populations off getting vaccinated.
    Is the EU running out of AstraZeneca doses?

No - in fact, EU countries have been reporting hundreds of thousands of unused doses because of a drop in public confidence in the jab.

France and Germany have used only about half of the AstraZeneca jabs they have received, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
    So what are they doing with all those unused doses? It only has an unopened/refrigerated shelf life of 6 months.
    If they don't want them they could send them to Covax for distribution around poorer countries.
    Or will they be petulant enough to let them expire and waste them?

PS. Looks like there will be more delays in getting vaccines from India, they've just blocked exports because they want all their production for their own population.
    (and they can't get through the Suez Canal at the moment anyway).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56513371

I can see this degenerating into the mess where if you don't manufacture in your own country then you won't have any vaccine at all, which doesn't help anybody.
    Last edited by nukecad; 24-03-21 at 19:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Surely they know that once we have vaccinated as many of the uk adult population & possibly children from 6-17 if the above trial in children shows it's safe & effective then we will distribute to all other country's at cost as we said we would sell at cost

We are the only country that's selling them at cost

So what another three-four months

While I know hundreds of thousands of people are dying every day & in three - four months in county's that are seeing the start of wave three there will be even more deaths but we are one small country compared to a lot of others there is only so much we can do.

Could we open another place to make the vaccines? would there be people trained to do this & would we be able to supply the ingredients to make that many more vaccines?