Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccination.

As I understand it that would give a 'hard' border between NI and Eire, leading to customs posts and all the rest of it.

Which is what quite a lot of the brexit wrangling has been about trying to avoid, because that goes against UK/Eire agreements such as the Good Friday agreement.
    Instead the brexit deal made the Irish sea a kind of 'rubbery' border, neither one thing or the other, the UK could invoke art.16 to change that which would them mean a hard border between NI/Eire.

It may only be partial/temporary under article 16.
    But as I said above trade wars have started over less.
    It could even end up with the whole brexit agreement being torn up. (ie. No deal brexit).

The various news agencies are catching up on what it means and publishing articles now; have a google for 'article 16 of the northern ireland protocol'.
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-01-21 at 21:37.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that Nuke It's appreciated.

It seems overnight that Boris has spoken to the EU & they have changed their minds & have taken off article 16. To me it made no sense to put it in place because all the vaccines we are getting stock of was ordered before the EU & while we were still in the EU.

Their problem is with the vaccine manufacturers & not us. However they seem to still be going ahead with something that means any vaccines that come from the EU to third world country's they have to know about. So in the future they could block vaccines going to third world country's like us.

Surely that is only the business of the third world country & the manufacturer of the vaccines?

We have started to manufacture more things now in the UK since Covid like PPE & vaccines. I hope this continues so we can become more self sufficient in the future.

Receiving Carers Allowance does work for the Covid vaccination. My carer got a letter yesterday to book an appointment that she got for today. She had to take a passport or driving licence, proof of the appointment on her phone and the letter from DWP saying she was in receipt of CA. They did check the documentation when she got to the vaccination centre. She had the Oxford one. She has also been given an appointment for the booster, unlike us. Hers was at a mass vaccination centre unlike ours that was at a GP's surgery.
    No doubt we will hear from our GP's when our booster is in due course

My family member didn't think to ask about the second jab so I thought I would ask when I spoke to the GP that afternoon. But once we got talking about blood tests & wheat allergies I forgot

So I've got to call her back once I've had my bloods done & the results are back, she said they have a couple of weeks back log & then I will leave it a week before I call. So I've made a note of it to ask her how my family member will get called for their second jab.

My guess is the same as yours that the GP surgery will call you again.

Good news the carers are getting their jabs

Same family member had a letter today asking them to call & make an appointment at a vaccination centre

The big bar of chocolate went down well with the nurses & GP

Sky news asked Michael Gove if since the EU "Mistake" (that's what they are calling it now) should the gov change tact & start giving people their second dose now of the Pfizer vaccine & he said no they have good supplies
    Last edited by StarBright; 30-01-21 at 18:12.

I also got the letter today telling me to make an appointment.
    Further down the letter it said to ignore it if you had already had the 1st dose.

Yes it does say that. I said as a joke phone in three weeks & get your second one

It wouldn't work as they are on the system as having had the first one now, the letters seem to be behind the GP system

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    all the vaccines we are getting stock of was ordered before the EU & while we were still in the EU.
    Although we were still in the EU we never signed up to their 'approval and supply of medicines' protocol, or whatever it was called.
    No EU member had to sign up to it, although almost all of them did.

So the UK didn't have to wait for the EU to approve the vaccines, and were free to make our own orders and supply arrangements.

If we had signed up to it then we wouldn't have been able to use the Astrazenica one until yesterday.

Arh I get it Nuke, thanks for explaining

We are now applying to join the COTPP Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership which has 11 country's which will cut trade tariffs between the country's

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    We are now applying to join the COTPP Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership which has 11 country's which will cut trade tariffs between the country's
    I saw that yesterday and nearly spat my beer out.

The current members of COTPP are all countries with coastlines on the Pacific Ocean, that trade with each other across the Pacific Ocean.

So the UK applying to join is bit like Austraila applying to join the European Economic Area.

Or is Boris intending to expand the new Whitehaven deep coalmine, undermine the UK and float it free, then tow us into the Pacific?
    Now that would really be a Brexit.