Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccination.

Covid vaccines extremely safe, finds UK regulator:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55946912

And on Sky news along the bottom headlines says the Gov have announced a new partnership with curevac to develop new vaccines for covid 19 variants:

https://www.biospace.com/article/rel...ov-2-variants/

Hi All, Well said I would get back & report. 1st jab was today and was Pfizer vaccination. If this is the same in 12 weeks approx., unable to say 'til received!. On the point of my wife/carer getting vaccinated today at same time as myself...nope! Advised will be about 3 weeks and hat GP will advise as to when can book appt.

Anyway, there we have it to date, and I can use this as aide memoire for next jab. Again, thanks for all advice.

Spencer.

Pleased you have had your first jab spencer & that your wife/carer will be having hers soon.

An update from me. Since having had the second phone call I decided to call the district nurses myself to see if I was on the list after having one phone call saying I was and then another one saying no your not but I can put you on it

The district nurses said they are doing no covid vaccinations. They have not been commissioned to do them

So I called my GP's again!

After explaining this mess as well as I could the lady said, no we are not using the district nurses because they have enough to do (Despite me being told twice on the phone they were doing it). Apparently a new team of nurses called community nurses will be doing it & we call them district nurses because they are out & about

WTF

If they don't call them by their name how on earth are we the patients supposed to know what's going on or more to the point who's going to turn up.

And breathe......

So she checked if I'm on the community nurses list & yes I am. Thank fishcake for that! She said they have sent this new team of nurses the housebound list of people who need covid vaccines. She then said she sorts out the covid vaccine clinics & so she knows they get told only a day or two before the jabs turn up so it can be anytime when they know they have stock coming.

I have no idea if they will just turn up or call.

I have to admit I'd never heard of community nurses before & on searching online their job role it's exactly or looks to be exactly the same as the district nurses job role. Perhaps that's also why they are calling them by the wrong name!

It's good in the fact that more nurses to come out to people who can't get to medical help, but it does make me wonder if it's just going to be yet another team of people who don't communicate well with the GP's. I already have major problems getting the GP's to chemists & GP's to district nurses to communicate on basic things as prescriptions, injections & blood tests let alone having another lot to deal with.

I guess time will tell

Hi Starbright, I know exactly what you mean regs GP's under current circs. We weren't told that district nurses would be/could do housecalls for housebound, or even thise that have been advised should be shielding due to thier/our health problems (mine surround immune system & ors). Would have been so much easier, but then...

Another point that has recently arisen is that, due to the number of items on my prescription, 14+, we have always dealt with my repeat script the 'old way', as 1, certain classification of some drugs, mainly painkillers, need signing for, not only when collecting repeat script from GP's but also at pharmacy when collecting actual items. However, last couple of time we have put in repeat request by ticking boxes on repeat part of script (am sure you know exactly but only saying as don't want to appear patronising) when returned to collect told that it has been sent 'electronically'....aaarrrgghhhh...There have been too many cock-ups when this has happened before, without any authorisation and totally off their (gp's) backs which has meant more days of the month dealing with missing items/items owed etc., and then this cocks up the dates & amounts of medications. It has taken too long and been too painful (not having painkillers & other meds) purely for purpose of getting all 14+ items on same repeat script!

A little smile we had was when, on the 1st occasion due to current circs, was when we attended pharmacy (at the moment it has to be Asda due to them being only pharmacy able to get hold of every items required-our usual & independent pharmacy went through period of having difficulty of getting hold of morphine based meds so we had to change for the interim) in local Asda, and when I turned up at their desk, we could both see them through the hatch in the wall 'passing the buck' as to which member of staff was going to come out and explain what had happened and who was to blame! Admittedly, I did go in with a face like thunder and being told by my wife not to go all 'Victor Meldrew' or get us thrown out! I would never have done that anyway, but it was the I was certainly feeling.

At the moment, it takes us 3 whole days to deal with ordering repeat and collecting of script, per month. and when this is cocked up, it can add a further 3 days making it, literally, 25% of our time. I know this sounds unbelievable, but it is true and I could explain, but would need to in great detail!

So, heaven only knows what will happen in just under 2 weeks time :-)

I also need to make mention of your superb different 'F' word...Fishcakes...I may have to use this when our grandson is around...he is 3.5 yrs old going on 35...am sure you can imagine as he is at 'peak copying age'! Our grandson (who is thankfully and gratefully in our 'bubble) is our real superhero, and has been since his birth (I was inpatient at The Christie for stem cell transplant) to present day. I am sure I do not need to try and describe the utmost feelings of joy and happiness he gives us both & thankfully (not blowing my trumpet) he really is a grandads grandson and his absolute bestie!

I better leave it there Starbright, and will await your update to your situation. I do need to give a shoutout to Specsavers, though. For reason that although they are stringent due to c-19 rules, they allowed my wife & I into shop at same time, as oppose to having 1 wait outside/elsewhere for 25 minutes until actual appointment time. The staff were so understanding and allowed us to be together until both had been dealt with!

Specsavers can also arrange home visits for complete eye tests. I do not know about hearing tests, but would think the same. I don't know if this little nugget of information would be helpful in being given its own little posting!

Take care, Starbright, and everybody else :-)

You have warmed my heart today & put a smile on my face. I think I first started talking about problems getting b12 injections, blood tests & repeat prescriptions because I was at the point of "is it me". You think that your going round the bend & thought I could not be the only one & sadly I'm not. I feel your pain & frustration!

The way I have to order repeat prescriptions has changed too which has not helped as you have found out. You so made me smile about passing the buck of who is going to come out & tell you there's a problem it's like a sketch out of a comedy, and talking about comedy's thank you for reminding me about one foot in the grave loved that show.

We count down the time between having to run the gauntlet of ordering repeat prescriptions so I totally get you knowing it's just under two weeks time before you have to poke the big brown grizzly bear that ordering repeat prescriptions is.

Little people do not know the power they have over grown up people & I was smiling from ear to ear knowing how much you love & how much love your little person is giving you. When he is bigger you can tell him how he helped get you through this horrible time & I know he will appreciate you telling him that too.

LOL re fishcakes sake I've no idea where it came from what can I say I do my best work in everyday conversations please do use it & I totally get the copying at that age. There are no little people in our family now so I went down the road of having Dwarf Hamsters for a few years as pets can give so much love too & trust me they are the most personally filled little critters ever loved each one of them. I have none now as it would be too hard to look after one for now not that they need much looking after as such a clean cage water & food & out of cage time every day. They were surprisingly brainy too know their name in two days!. They have too short a life though at 2 years though I did have one little girl who lived 2 years 9 months & two weeks!.

Anyway I'm waffling as usual. Take very good care you two

Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine recommended for adults of all ages, say scientists advising the World Health Organisation

https://news.sky.com/story/oxford-as...ation-12214373

At the weekend there were so many different articles about the vaccines I didn't know what to post & what not to. So I didn't

Had a phone call saying he is from the district nurses If he is a community nurse & he is calling himself a district nurse there's no hope!

Asked a few questions said I've got lots of allergies to food & environment & have had the flu vaccine every year & been OK with that one. He said I should be OK with it then. They are coming out to my areas tomorrow so he has booked me in for tomorrow or in the next three days. I'm guessing that's down to the stock coming. I forgot to ask which jab it is.

Had a great day NHS wise my repeat prescriptions were correct! Hallelujah, & the blood nurse came

StarBright, I suspect it will be the Oxford one because of them having to travel with it and storage problems with the Pfizer. It will be interesting to see which one you will get.

Yes my first thought is the Oxford one & my GP said she thinks it will be the oxford one because of moving the jab around & they had given the care home people the oxford one for that reason.

I will let you know when they have been

And I will call my GP end of next week for the blood tests results & ask the GP how family member gets contacted for their second jab & let you know too

COVID-19: Oxford vaccine to be tested on children as young as six in world-first trial

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...trial-12216667