Thread: Scotland's Unveiled New Benefits System No Atos Or Capita!

Scotland's Unveiled New Benefits System No Atos Or Capita!

Just had the Benefits & work email for this week saying Scotland has unveiled it's new benefits system:

SCOTTISH DISABILITY BENEFITS SYSTEM UNVEILED
    Claimants in Scotland are set to have a very much improved experience of claiming disability benefits when a new system, delayed by the pandemic, is introduced.

And it’s one which will not involve Atos or Capita.

The Scottish government has released details of how its new system for claiming child DLA, PIP and attendance allowance will work.

Claimants will be able to choose whether to claim by post, online, by phone, or through face-to-face contact with staff.

Claimants who, because of a disability, need help with claiming will be entitled to the help of an independent advocacy worker.

An assessment with a health provider will only happen as a last resort.

And assessments will all be in-house. There will be no place for Atos, Capita or any other private sector company in the Scottish system.

Even if there is an assessment, there will be no physical function examination at all, as the Scottish government considers that this can only provide an unreliable snapshot of how a claimant is affected.

All awards will be ongoing with no end date and reviews will, according to the government, be ‘light touch and as non-intrusive as possible’.

Where a claimant challenges a decision to stop or reduce their benefit they will receive ‘Short Term Assistance’ payments equal to the money they have lost, until their appeal is decided. And even if they lose they will not have to pay the money back.

If the Scottish claims system is as described here, then the pressure will grow on the DWP to follow suit.

And the day may actually dawn across the whole of the UK on which claimants will be freed from shamelessly unfair assessments with profit at their heart.

IT DOES NOT SAY WHEN IT WILL COME INTO EFFECT

Hmm perhaps time to move to Scotland!

Let's hope that does happen and also that we follow soon after.

Atos and Capita both deserve to be flushed down the toilet for all the grief, pain and heartache they have caused.

Totally agree enough people have suffered at their hands.

I would celebrate this part if it happened & is worth the house move!:

Even if there is an assessment, there will be no physical function examination at all, as the Scottish government considers that this can only provide an unreliable snapshot of how a claimant is affected.

All awards will be ongoing with no end date and reviews will, according to the government, be ‘light touch and as non-intrusive as possible

So many people are going through the assessments when there is no possibility of them becoming better or well enough to work or go through their daily life without needing extra money to help. One aspect of that is when people have multiple chronic illnesses because these illnesses on their own are not seen as being unable to work again a combination of multiple illnesses defo are reason to never be able to work or carry out their daily life without needing help.

That's one that sticks in my throat

Thankfully, I got the ten year awards for both my ESA and PIP last year that will take me to past retirement age, so I won't have to go through it any more (hopefully).

It was such a joke - I can't walk and I use a wheelchair, I need help to do most things due to severe arthritis and have major 'issues' in the toileting department. What the hell did squeezing their fingers ever tell them about my condition?

Anyway, it seems the Scots have got it right - good on them I say.

lol about the fingers I've no idea either!

So pleased you have the 10 year awards for both & your hopefully out of the madness

Yes I'm secretly excited about this but know better than getting my hopes up