Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Advanced Payments

  1. #1

    Advanced Payments

    Recently, got accepted onto Universal credit for 7 days for health reasons until i supply a fit note, however what would happen if the doctor said your fit and well to work while you go ahead on day 2 of universal credit and apply for a advance payment when it cannot be repaid in 4 weeks time when regular payments resume as your claim gets closed down on day 8?

  2. #2
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    9,665
    Your UC claim would not be closed down just because you can't provide fit notes.

    If you are fit for work then you are simply like any other jobseeker, or low income person, on UC.

    The only difference is that with fit notes they will not expect you do any jobsearching.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  3. #3
    My doctor is refusing to give me a fit note as I've not had surgery or being discharged from hospital despite i am unable to walk or sleep due to vertigo. I've received fit notes for not being in hospital or discharged in the past flu/hearing issues. I've told my work adviser I am unable to supply a fit note and described my symptoms and said you still need to accept the commitments?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Southern England.
    Posts
    216
    If your doctor doesn't sign you off as unfit for work with vertigo, then I suggest you change your doctor - this one is obviously an idiot.

    I had a dose of vertigo about ten or eleven years ago. I was self-employed, so no chance of claiming anything, but I couldn't walk, drive, fly or operate machinery for best part of four months - it was awful.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    If your doctor doesn't sign you off as unfit for work with vertigo, then I suggest you change your doctor - this one is obviously an idiot.

    I had a dose of vertigo about ten or eleven years ago. I was self-employed, so no chance of claiming anything, but I couldn't walk, drive, fly or operate machinery for best part of four months - it was awful.
    Yeah, seriously thinking about it as he refused me a blood test as well. How did the vertigo go away? Any meds prescribed or OTC work?

  6. #6
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    9,665
    Vertigo/diziness is not a condition in itself, it is a symptom that may indicate various other conditions, not all of which could be diagnosed by a blood test.

    Low blood pressure, low blood sugar, iron deficiency, an ear infection, menieres disease, cardiac issues, a tumor, etc, etc. can all cause vertigo/diziness.

    Your GP is more likely to perform observational tests than a blood test, they may do this whilst simply talking to you and observing you.
    A blood test would only be testing for blood sugar or an iron deficiency, which may be obvious from observation anway.

    If your GP does not believe that your vertigo/diziness is serious enough to prevent you from working then he will not give you a fit note.
    You can always go to another GP for a second opinion.

    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vertigo/
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dizziness/
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Vertigo/diziness is not a condition in itself, it is a symptom that may indicate various other conditions, not all of which could be diagnosed by a blood test.

    Low blood pressure, low blood sugar, iron deficiency, an ear infection, menieres disease, cardiac issues, a tumor, etc, etc. can all cause vertigo/diziness.

    Your GP is more likely to perform observational tests than a blood test, they may do this whilst simply talking to you and observing you.
    A blood test would only be testing for blood sugar or an iron deficiency, which may be obvious from observation anway.

    If your GP does not believe that your vertigo/diziness is serious enough to prevent you from working then he will not give you a fit note.
    You can always go to another GP for a second opinion.

    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vertigo/
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dizziness/
    Changed my GP was like night and day she gave me 2 yes 2 blood tests a fit note without asking! And also arranging me to see a specialist. My 10 year old doctor wouldn't even see me due to the restrictions!

  8. #8
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    9,665
    Quote Originally Posted by pipsaholic View Post
    My 10 year old doctor wouldn't even see me due to the restrictions!
    A 10 year old doctor?

    You know you are getting old when police and doctors look like kids.

    Your new doctor will not know your previous history like the old one does, and so will be more cautious to start with.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    380
    Your new doctor will not know your previous history like the old one does, and so will be more cautious to start with.[/QUOTE]

    Surely it wont make any diff, you should have your medical records, well thats in theory in real life I suppose its a diff story

  10. #10
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    9,665
    There is more to pipsaholic's previous history than just his medical history.

    (I know that's an intruiging statement but I once checked him out carefully when moderating on another forum, that's how I know where he lives/lived, what his football team is, what car he was driving a few years ago, even what he looks like, and some more salient details which are his business so I'll not discuss here. All gathered from social media and posts on other fora. People change and what's past may be past).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-08-17, 12:39
  2. Advanced payment
    By aidnash in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 17-06-14, 21:52
  3. Which chair for my Dad with advanced Alzheimer's
    By ought in forum Ask a question about equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-14, 11:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •