Thread: When to include GP

When to include GP

Greetings one and all.

Just got the dreaded ESA50 to fill in by the end of the month. Went to local advice centre who are fully booked for 6 weeks so advised fill it in, photocopy it and then if the claim is unsuccessful they will advise on appealing - great I thought.

So just getting some idea of how to fill it in and wondered what people thought about when I should involve my GP as regards backing it up. Now or on appeal?

Brief scenario is that I have been on IB for 5-6 years for circulation problems in both lower legs (cellulitis-type but never been fully given that diagnosis) giving poor - at times non-existent -mobility along with other side factors (non-insulin diabetes, blood pressure etc).

I have not been seen by a consultant and the only 'hospital' was to see physio to dispense 2 walking sticks.

I was assessed by ATOS when I went on IB and he was only with me 5 mins so am hopeful!

Any advice appreciated
    Last edited by puternut; 08-01-13 at 13:27. Reason: typing errors

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by puternut View Post
    Greetings one and all.

Just got the dreaded ESA50 to fill in by the end of the month. Went to local advice centre who are fully booked for 6 weeks so advised fill it in, photocopy it and then if the claim is unsuccessful they will advise on appealing - great I thought.

So just getting some idea of how to fill it in and wondered what people thought about when I should involve my GP as regards baking it up. Now or on appeal?

Brief scenario is that I have been on IB for 5-6 years for circulation problems in both lower legs (cellulitis-type but never been fully given that diagnosis) giving poor - at times non-existent -mobility along with other side factors (non-insulin diabetes, blood pressure etc).

I have not been seen by a consultant and the only 'hospital' was to see physio to dispense 2 walking sticks.

I was assessed by ATOS when I went on IB And he was only with me 5 mins so am hopeful!

Any advice appreciated
    in your case the advice center IMO gave good advice with little input from the drs in the past why start now ? and you cant be sure his input would help.
    if you fail then you need to see him and bring him up to speed on your problems and start a paper trail of your health problems

as regards baking it up ? lay it on thick or asking your gp to do so wont help as if he writes it down and dwp ask for copies of your medical file then at appeal it could go against you

you also need to focus on what you can and cant manage as this is what will get you ESA not whats wrong with you

Quote Originally Posted by puternut View Post
    Greetings one and all.

So just getting some idea of how to fill it in and wondered what people thought about when I should involve my GP as regards backing it up. Now or on appeal?

I was assessed by ATOS when I went on IB and he was only with me 5 mins so am hopeful!

Any advice appreciated
    Welcome to YA.
    Some say that it is pointless to send documents in with ESA50 as ATOS never read them, but they will be forwarded to DWP and DM (Decision Maker) will see them.
    However for you it sounds as though you don't have much to send in and little contact with your GP. A copy of your repeat meds is a good idea though.
    There are several sites which give advice on filling in an ESA50 and it is really important you do it well.
    As said, this is about letting them know how your condition affects your ability to do things, not about your condition.
    As you have some time yet, do research and do a few practice copies of your answers then go back to it till you are completely happy with it.
    It depends on what you are hoping for from your claim, do you think you should be in the support group?

My personal view is that you need to complete the ESA50 as fully as is humanly possible and send in as much supporting evidence as you can at the time of submission.

Thanks for the replies

Seems to be for and against.

My wife had DLA review last year and the GP letter was very succinct and precise (and so a little less than helpful) so I think I'll wait until either face-to-face or appeal, if it comes to that.

Quick view of some other tips means I might just be on the edge if I get the points I need.

Thanks to all

Hi,
    I've just filled in my ESA50 form and having read the ATOS website about home visits contacted the Health centre about the medical note they asked for regarding not having to go in person to the centre - which is quite a journey for me and will actually cause me to be poorly for a day or two afterwards. Also, the centre has been in the news as it's on the first floor and due to H&S rules if you can't use stairs in an emergency .....
    So, my enquiry was met by a lecture from the GP, which was unexpected as my previous doctor was supportive and a good listener, the essence of the call was you can't be that bad, so get of your **** and go to the assessment and stop making such a palaver.
    Like the original poster I've had no cause to see doctors for ages, having been diagnosed way back and was just getting on with it, like you do. The advisor I spoke to about this said to write on the form my reasons for needing a home visit and not worry about a GP who had that sort of attitude. Then it occurred to me he's probably a vested interest and is doing the assessments himself somewhere.
    Can you find out if your local GPs are also working for ATOS?