Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

I had a sneaky suspition you would get more compensation

Just announced BT & Openreach are striking on 29th of July & 1st of August so no doubt a lot of people wont be happy if they were due to have either of them on those days.

Obviously BT haven’t checked with the dwp they’ve said my circumstances have changed which is incorrect as my circumstances are still the same on the social tariff was paying £20 they now have put it up to £25 a month

If you are still on UC then make a complaint to BT about it asking why they think you no longer qualify.

Use the 'Make a complaint' on your BT account, it's under the 'Help' on the menu. (That's what I did).

May take some time to sort out but they should reduce it again, and probably give you some compensation for messing you about.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

2 emails today that my first BT bill was ready, so lets have a look.

~~~
    At the top of the page it's got "This bill £54.99, Download bill".
    WTF?

So download it.
    At the top it says: First bill: £54.99, Please pay by 25 Jul - Next bill estimate £45.00

First Item- £45.00 Broadband package - again WTF was my first reaction, but checking further that's until 13th October so is 3 months payments in advance.
    Next Item - £9.99 Other Charges - That's the connection charge, so they haven't waived it as said.
    Bill Total - £54.99

So no waiving of the delivery charge, no compensation.
    ~~~

Back to the online page and scrolling down it says the same BUT THEN has a section called "What's happened since this bill:".
    That section does show "Credits & adjustments" -£52.50
    And then "Total Due £2.49, Please pay by 25 Jul 2022

So the bill online is different to the one to download. (or that they would have posted out if I hadn't opted for online billing).
    It appears that the bill to download is an automatically generated bill, and then any adjustments have to be made manually after the bill has been issued.
    That would also explain why I got 2 emails.

It seem that BT's automated systems are disjointed to say the least. ("Comuter says no" syndrome).

I'm learning not to rush things with BT and give them time to sort out what their automated systems can't cope with or have got wrong.

It looks that when setting up a new account she hadn't set up a new direct debit, and so as a non DD customer they bill 3 months in advance.
    I'll change that before the next bill is due.

It's also a bit annoying that they haven't waived the connection charge as said, but they did refund the first one so I'll let that slide and pay the £2.49 that they now want.
    At least it will then show that an actual payment has been made.

I'll wait a week before doing anything, to give them time to make any further corrections if they are going to.

OK, Well as far as I know all done and dusted! Went through BT and accepted for £15 pr month deal. Chose change over date of 2nd August and this is date that Sky will also cancel my bb with them, so hopefully shouldn't be too long without home bb :-)

The 1st date that came up with BT for change was 1st August, but that is date for strike and glad I realised or could have been waiting! Thank you both for easing my transition in moving supplier and helping me bite the bullet. So, should be able to stay on this deal for few years at least which will ore than compensate for the charges that sky were happy enough to take off me. That has now been chopped in half. OK, in grand scheme, may only be a saving of £15 pr mnth but that will mount up over the years! The main benefit is the quicker bb. Although only I use bb here at home for this type of thing, bills and emails etc., i can be a little pain waiting for games to download to tablet when Gson is round and wanting tablet to play 'shoot em up' games :-) Also means he has to snuggle into Gdad's arm whilst playing!

Nothing more to say at moment until I get final emails, and hub in post and await turn on and set up! I chose the self set up instead of the £30 1 off fee for tech to do for me...not that difficult plugging in hub as router is currently plugged. There is a video and step by step guide anyway. Again, Thank You so much for your help and patience getting me here.

Report back in few days time :-)

Not quite had mine for a full week yet but it seems to have settled down and I'm consitently getting 37/38 Mbps at the laptop, measured by Ookla speedtest.

That's slightly better than they were estimating for here. (£15 a month package).
    Your expected speed will vary depending on where you live, I'm rural it should be faster in urban areas.

The BT tester, which shows the speed to the hub and not to your equipment, is showing 37.2 at the moment Okla is also showing 37.2 so I'm not losing any over the wifi.

When doing last weeks Windows patch Tuesday updates on my other laptop (hadn't had it switched on last Tuesday) I was watching it in Task Manager and it did actually reach 40 Mbps for a brief moment about half way through the download, but for most of the time Microsoft were only sending it at 10-20 so the extra capacity wasn't needed.

PS. In the end I decided against fitting a new shelf for my hub, the cable I already had from the phone socket was long enough to reach to a built in cupboard in the hallway and so it's now hidden away in there.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-07-22 at 19:43.

On another note -

I noticed something quite odd, and somewhat stupid*, in the Home Essentials Terms and Conditions online.

It says about who can qualify (my bolding):
    Employment and Support Allowance
    You need to be receiving income-related Employment and Support Allowance to qualify for Home Essentials. People on contribution-based only ESA are not eligible. If you receive both income and contribution-based ESA, your income-based JSA must be higher.
    That's a typo, it should say 'income-based ESA' not JSA.

By my reckoning if they stick to that then if you do have both CB and IR ESA you can't qualify unless you are a couple and have SDP.

CB ESA Support Group is £117.60 so you'd have to be getting over £235.20 total ESA (CB+IR) to qualify, and the only way to get that is by having SDP on a couples claim.

*It's a stupid clause anyway, because if you have CB ESA with IR ESA premiums but don't have SDP then you could just claim UC (ie. migrate your IR ESA to UC) and qualify that way instead. Anyone getting UC qualifies for BT Home Essentials.

They obviously haven't thought things through.

I'm now wondering if maybe that is what has happened with Robbie66 in the post above?
    If as part of a couple with ESA+SDP you were to lose your PIP DL then you would no longer qualify under that clause; because you'd also lose the SDP and so your IR ESA would become less than your CB ESA.
    Then the next time BT checked your eligibility the new check would fail on that clause.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-07-22 at 19:40.

Hi Nuke and Starbright, said would report back. Well, I received 2 parcels few days ago and didn't really open (as have grandson & mother drop in off the cuff) & left on table until today :-)

Was using phone on mobile data and still used sky wifi until needed to leave for chores...just before leaving noticed orange circle on sky router and reckoned that was now dead and buried...funereal music...on return while had free 30 mins, unplugged old gear and plugged in and connected brand spanking new rout...ahem, I mean...Hub 2 & pressed power button behind...time it took me to put everything back in its place, hub had nice blue circle surrounding it...changed tablet wifi details over and new password and, Yes...Baby! Connected no problem whatsoever (I know it's only Tuesday but had the week from hell upto this point and so was expecting there to be trouble with BT connection etc., but nothing!) to tablet and immediatley checked speed...Nuke, it is so fast...was recording 34mbps and 41 mbps on few times checking internet speed.

Didn't realise how speed can make such difference to surfing and general internetting...How come basic bb at 11mbps can be as slow as it was...I am feeling normal and not like a sub-surfer! OK so I have changed over tablet, laptop and phone details to new bt info and will need 15 mins 1/2 hr to sort out neos smartcam as it has to be unplugged and go through motions as if it was 1st time installation (should be fun!).

That is the last item that needs dealing with until come to the tv and firetick. Am wondering what difference it might make to that, albeit for the time it is used. Only ever used once darling wife has gone to bed and nothing of any real interest on freeview tv - have never had sky or a subscription deal, not even amazon prime - but there are some free firestick tv channels that usually have something of interest on and will see later how this copes and difference it makes. Usually only ever use to download few games for Grandson who is 5 in Nov. Have actually played a few games myself that it could cope with before today...should make difference to games...bit of armchair darts, bowling & sonic...maybe try some faster more detailed shoot 'em up type or golf!

Well, although as ever, longer than expected post, said would give update and actually a little excited...God, that soounds so sad!...haven't even looked at or opened the Alexa phone yet...mght blow my mind!

And want to thank you both again for helping me through this change and decision. Already know it has been the right move & thanks for helping me give myself that kick needed up backside. Cheers :-)

PS... I knew there was another reason and a question!

OK...so all is connected as far as hub is concerned and phone, laptop etc., connected easy enough. There was a 2nd cable that should get pugged into 'phone' socket of the filter and then into hub...If I am only using, for the moment, the broadband/internet connection and for that reason, do I need to plug the 'yellow' cable into filter phone socket & hub, or can this be left and put away back in box for time being (as will no doubt come back this week and ask about phone and its benefits even if we have never used a landline handset for well over past decade)?!

Again, thanks for any advice.

Good to hear it all went smoothly for you.

34-41 Mbps is fine for most people, mine has now settled to around 37 - 40 max, depends on the day/time.
    Of course you only top out at that, most of the time I'm only using one device and so get nowhere near it unless downloading something.

The two cables that you get:

One (grey ends) is the broadband connection between the master phone socket and the hub (via the separate filter box if you only have a single socket on the master plate; the filter box has it's own very short cable and a broadband socket and phone socket on the other end *).
    I used my own existing broadband cable which is much longer and already clipped to the skirting boards where I want it, although the BT supplied one is a good length.

The other cable (yellow ends) is an 'ethernet' cable to connect a computer or other device by wire to the hub instead of by WiFi.
    You can use it to connect devices that don't have wifi built in, or to give a more stable connection than wifi although that's not realy a problem these days.
    Many people will never use it and just use the wifi.

The cable ends are colour coded to match the sockets on the hub, one grey socket for the broadband cable, 4 yellow for ethernet cables so you can connect more than one device, but you are not generally supposed to use #4 which has a red sticker above it, the red denotes that its a WAN port for connecting to another modem/router.
    Your computer/laptop/other ports and cables may/will not be the same colours. It should be obvious what plugs in where anyway, if you have to force it in then you are doing it wrong. (Ooer missus).

There's a green socket as well for a non-wirless digital voice phone. (It may be covered by a black sticker).

There is also a USB socket, that can be used to plug in a USB device.
    Some people plug a hard drive or memory stick in there, so you can save files to it as a backup or to share with other devices on the same network. (Network Attached Storage).
    If you have an older non-wifi printer you can plug that into it, and then print from any device that is connected to your network.
    It may also be possible to plug a mobile (4G/5G) dongle into it to give mobile broadband if the landline goes down. (Not sure if that's implemented on the Smart Hub 2).

*The supplied filter box having a phone port is a bit unecessary as you are getting digital voice, but that's the way they are made as standard.
    Connecting a digital voice phone through the Hub2 disconnects the 'traditional' analogue phone line anyway.
    If you already have a digital phone it can be connected into the Hub2 at the green socket.
    If you have an older non-digital phone then it won't work anymore once you connect to digital voice - which is why you get the new phone as standard.

PS. As nothing went wrong then you won't get any discount.

If you're looking for an enjoyable golf game then try 'Mini Golf Club' you can get it free in the Microsoft Store, it's a very good crazy-golf type game, I play it for hours.
    Tip- Disconnect from the wifi/internet before playing games and you won't get bothered with in-game advertising.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-08-22 at 09:50.