Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's £10.07!

Yes I know it is run by Sky, when you ring them you get an Irish voice answering.
    Will remember to ring them once our contract ends

The only thing I don't like is that they don't do Direct Debit, it is charged to your debit card monthly. My Debit card expired a couple of months ago and I never thought to change the details with them. I did get an email saying I was in arrears and I couldn't understand why until the penny dropped. Just something to be aware of.

Well at the moment I'm using my phone to tether.

With my (loyalty boosted) PAYG package from EE I get 660 MB a week for £1, that's 2.64 GB for £4 a month.
    (I also get 95 mins and 50 texts a week).
    Nobody can touch those numbers with any PAYG plan, it's those loyalty boosts that make the difference.

Unfortunately that plan is not available to new users now, but it will keep going for existing users who keep their account topped up.

I used to be able to start the week early if I had run out of data, another 660 MB for just £1, but because the plan is no longer available it can only auto-renew each week now.
    So I'm currently adding another £6 of data add-ons a week, which is making it less of a bargain but still untouchable by other PAYG mobile plans.

One of my issues is that once the pub next door turns their wifi on again I'll simply use that again and the extra costs to me will stop.
    So I have an unusual situation and I don't realy want to sign up to something that I may not need soon.
    I guess I need to find out when the pub will be reopening to see if it's worth getting my own broadband in for the longer term.

Just as an aside, if you are on EE then access to government and NHS websites is currently free and does not come off any data allowance.
    Handy for downloading legislation and DWP guidance.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-09-20 at 13:45.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

beau, I had read that they take the money from your debit card rather than DD, I actually would like to do that rather than the DD I have with Virgin.

Yes I think it's finding out when the pub's coming back if it does sadly

BT Basic is being rebranded/relaunched as 'BT Home Essentials social tarrif'.
    It should be available as from June 2021.

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-to-launch...on-low-income/

It's only for "eligible customers" on Universal Credit and people receiving the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, and Employment and Support Allowance.

It offers average download speeds of 36 Mbps, and 700 minutes of calls for £15 a month.
    Alternatively, you can opt for average download speeds of 67 Mbps, and unlimited calls for £20 per month.

All BT packages are Unlimited Data.

I've not seen anything on just what "eligible customers" means other than the means tested benefits requirement.
    So it looks that CB only ESA/JSA may not be eligible.

Interestingly though the notes on that webpage do say-
    Launched in 2008, BT’s social tariff (BT Basic) is only available to those on the means tested benefits mentioned above, plus those on Universal Credit who receive zero income. The extended eligibility of BT Home Essentials means people on Universal Credit who also earn money can also take advantage.
    Hopefully as it's now supposedly 'in conjunction with the DWP' it will be easier to actually get than BT Basic was.
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-05-21 at 08:46. Reason: link changed to BT itself

Did you ever get this Nuke?

No I didn't try, I worked out that I was almost as cheap tethering through my mobile for internet access and without the hassle/cost of getting a landline installed.

I'm currently paying an average of about £15 a month for sufficent data and unlimited texts/calls.
    OK I don't get unlimited data, but what I do get is enough for my needs and I can change what I buy each month if there is some to rollover from last month.
    (If I run out I can just start the next month early).

If I get the new flat that I'm hoping too then I may consider landline broadband again, especially if the mobile reception is not as good as here.
    (If I have to stay here for a while then the pub next door will open again in a couple of weeks, with a new landlord, and I'll be able to piggback on their wifi again).

Sending many positive thoughts your way Nuke, think it's about time you had something go your way. So I'm hoping it's a new flat & a landline/internet set up

If it's just a phone people want thgen a SIM only deal can be much cheaper.
    My wife's SIM is £5 per month for unlimited calls & texts with one gb of data which she never uses, if she wants internet then there are many free wi-fi options about. She has the opyion of buying more cheap data if required.

Just to add, my mobile phone SIM only is £10 per month with unlimited minutes & texts plus 12 gb data. There are many cheap SIM only deals around.
    Last edited by gus607; 08-05-21 at 10:23.

A bit more on how you apply for it here:

Those applying will need their national insurance number and must fill in an online form stating the benefit they receive. Most approvals take 24 hours, BT says.

Those who qualify will get the Home Essentials deal for a year, even if you come off benefits. Those with a low credit score may have to pay a deposit. All customers face a £9.99 router delivery charge

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ing-households

It does not say what happens after the first year, do you get asked if your still on a qualifying benefit? Also it say's nothing on the other package which is £20 & includes all calls. I can't find out if the free calls is real or just a higher number of calls than 700 minuets which is in this package

I've just seen the answer on another article:

Once accepted they will pay the discounted rate. After 12 months, BT will run another eligibility check. If a customer still qualifies, the firm keeps them on the same plan for another year.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-price-release

And the link to apply on BT:

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials

I've just put my postcode in & the £15 broadband & phone came up as well as the £20 broadband & phone. Then another one has come up just call only plan £10 a month unlimited minuets a month to landlines & mobiles 12 month contract.

small print: Unlimited Minutes: 30 day minimum term. Unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines and UK mobiles excluding the Channel Islands. 150 calls or 1000 minutes a month to 0845 and 0870 numbers.
    Last edited by StarBright; 03-07-21 at 07:40.