Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

If you've got a smart meter that shows current usage then you could watch it while you unplug the router and see what difference it makes.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Good idea Nuke, I will have to dig it out the draw

017 number so you think scam call. Trouble is this one was saying they were from virgin media. So I carried on. I'm not racist. When someone calls you, you do need to understand what the heck they are saying to you. This woman's accent was so thick I only got the bit about she's saying she is from virgin media.

I'm waiting for packaging to send the virgin router & power pack back to them, so when I caught her saying something about the router I stayed on the line.

Then she started to talk louder because I can't understand her which didn't help one bit, it does not help by shouting in the same accent, if the person can't understand the accent.

Then I understood that she said something was downloaded without your knowledge to the router. Which at that point I cut her off.

That's the trouble with scam calls if there's something going on that they decided to lie about, then you can get caught out.

I can't wait for my new BT phone because it's got a button you press which gets rid of them & I "think" puts them on your scam numbers list which I understand is limited in usefulness because they just use a different number to call you, but none the less will feel satisfying

Yes there is always the coincidence factor.

That's why they use 'big names' there is more chance that you may actually be with that company, and even maybe even expecting a call from them.

I've currently got one scammer blocked on my mobile, but it only blocks their calls not any texts that they send from the same number.
    Of course with a landline you won't have that particular problem.
    TBH I thought that lot might have given up by now, they've not had any response in over six months, persistent buggers.

They seem to come & go in waves of annoyance. Elderly family member not long ago had them several times a day & each time they called their phone number was one number higher than the last

This lot are pretty well known and pretend they are from Scottish Power.

(It's a Vodaphone number, they also use a landline number with a Reddich code, but the call centre is in South Africa).

They ring ex-customers (even non-customers) claiming that they have an outstanding balance to be paid.
    I believe that they also do buy 'uncollectable debts' from SP and attempt to collect them.*
    The debts are usually 'uncollectable' in the first place because they don't exist, SP's accounts department is one of the worst in the world.
    Often these 'debts' are accounting errors, and some have even been written of by the ombudsman/court.

*There is some suggestion that these 'debt collectors' are actually owned by SP in some convoluted fashion. Based offshore to get around UK laws.

SPs own 'main company' debt collectors are not much better.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59707817

I left SP 9 months ago now when I moved flat and my online account at SP shows as closed, but with final outstanding balance - from 2017.
    So according to that I've not even been a customer of theirs since 2017. Which could explain a few things.

(TBH I have a much longer saga than that with SP's accounting errors, going back to 2013. And yes I've even had them at the ombudsman back in 2016/2017, see the coincidence in the years?
    They quite creatively managed to write that 'debt' off completely (they used their own charity fund to pay themselves) before the ombudsman could rule, shame because I was looking forward to taking them to court).
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-03-22 at 16:15.

Blimey Nuke!

Just had a phone call from Virgin media, this time I think it was them. Said hello is this starbright I said yes. He said do you have time to talk to me about leaving vm. I said not really after the way you have treated me.

I'm very sorry to hear that, it's just to dot the i's & cross the t's on why you are leaving

I said no & put the phone down on him.

I'm not sure if that's the phone call people say they get from the retention's team offering a better offer to stay?. Or sometimes your new provider contacts your old provider perhaps BT have contacted them?.

Anyway there is no way on earth I would stay with VM even if they offered me highest broadband, anytime calls & highest TV for free.

If I was quick enough I would of said. Just to inform you that I'm now going to be away from my phone for 15 minuets but don't worry when I come back I will re engage with you again

Took them blooming long enough to call though. Have seen on money saving expert forum that VM are offering prices as low as £17.99 to keep people yet I get offered 29.99. The moral of the story is don't pee starbright off otherwise I will leave

The Democrat5is Peoples Republic of Nottingham
    I finally left VM, they even sent a man around to collect my VM hub after they said they will post out a return kit to me.
    Had plenty of emails & text messages offering me a better deal but just like starbright those prices were still more than a new customer would pay. Glad to be rid of VM & enjoying 5G from Three AND saving almost £41 per month for better broadband too.

I'm supposed to be getting packaging sent so will keep an eye out for a VM man nearer the cut off date

Second call from Virgin media!.

Woman this time so I thought I would waste her time like she is wasting mine. Went through the checks to see if it's me. Then she said why is it that you are leaving.

I said because of the horrible way you have treated me goodbye & put the phone down.

I'm wondering how many more call's I'm going to get? feels a bit like harassment now

Next one ask for their full name before anything else, you won't get it for 'security' reasons but it always puts them on the back foot.
    (The 'security' excuse is that they're worried you might track the phone jockey down and go round to beat them up, LOL).

You can ask for their employee number instead, you won't get that either, but that worries them even more.
    They don't like the idea of possibly being held accountable for something they say.
    Usually that's where they make an excuse and hang up. Or the connection gets mysteriously broken.

If they are still there then tell them that if the calls don't stop you are going to file an harassment claim with Ofcom.
    It's an empty threat of course. From personal experience the ombudsman is pretty useless (and toothless) anyway.