Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

That's a good piece of kit beau, I will look it up.

Well that's one very unhappy virgin media man then

Called to cancel as I'm out of contract today. First man asked if I wanted him to see if there's any lower prices I said I've been there & done that. He put me through to another man guess he must of been the cancellation man.

Was nice & friendly to start. Was checking what he could do to bring the price down. He did really try but could only get it down to £29.99 a month. I said no thanks. Then the pressure tactics came out. Good job I know he was chatting rubbish!

I said I'n going with BT told him what the package was.

Oh my days that was like a red flag to a bull!

The speed won't be 50-76 it will be half so only 25. Then it's coming from the exchange which will slow it down more. If you have a problem with your service BT will only re direct you to your terms & conditions & won't help. Then said with my usage it won't be enough, you will struggle, you will be trapped in a 24 month contract

OH MY DAYS!

Then he started talking over me, I was trying to say no thank you, that's not correct, & he just talked loudly over me. I wonder why the do that?. I can understand why they trash the company you have chosen to go with but the aggressive talking over you I can't see how that would make me stay with them?!.

So he eventually realised I was not changing my mind & he closed down. Few words. The day virgin stops & BT starts is 23rd of March. He is sending me packaging to put the broadband modem in to send back to them.

So I've now filled in the form to join BT home essentials I've already got my login details & can access my account. There will be a engineer coming & the provisional date is the 23rd March to be confirmed. It's going to be the new digital line that everyone is being changed over to with BT. Supposed to have changed everyone by 2025. They send the modem & free phone a couple of days before the engineer start day.

Still trying to get over the virgin man!. Thinking rationally hundreds of thousands of people are with BT & get decent speeds.

Bt have confirmed the engineer visit for 23rd of March between 8am-1pm lunch time
    Last edited by StarBright; 21-02-22 at 09:49.

Unless you are playing 3D, live action, multi-player games then you don't need speeds greater than 50 or so Mbps.
    You'll only reach that speed very rarely.

Even if streaming live telly that's plenty. (Unless you.are trying to watch 4 or 5 tellys at once).

Trouble is with the DWP contracting out hese (pushy, ignorant) commercial phone jockeys sometimes end up working as DWP phone jockeys.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you Nuke, for putting my mind at rest. I "thought" through reading on here what people have said about broadband speeds & from yourself Nuke that I didn't need more than 50.

But by the time he was finished his rant over BT he had me wondering. I guess that's how they get people to stay with them because they don't know any better. If I hadn't asked about BB speeds & seen other people talking about it I would have fallen for it too. Makes you wonder how many vulnerable people are paying way too much.

My "guess" is the reason behind these three plans just phone line or two different options with BB is because of making the benefits go online with U/C. but that's just my guess. It's the gov that's making BT do it I read somewhere a while ago.

And no I don't play 3D live action multi-player games or have 4 or 5 TV's & watch them at once

Mine currently goes to around 80/90 mbps if connected with an ethernet cable and around 50/55 mbps on wifi.
    There's a technical reason for it, but wifi is normally only half of what you get when connected with a cable.
    (I've once seen mine up to 155 mbps on ethernet cable, my provider had turned the 'throttling' off for some reason. Yes most connections are usually capable of more than your provider gives you).

But as an example, even when installing Windows 10 from scratch on a laptop the download (over wifi) spends most time in the low teens or lower, with an occasional jump up to 35 mbps or so.
    I've watched it while doing it.

Your computer can only accept data as fast as it can put in memory, and then from memory write it to your disc drive.
    It's the writing to drive that's usually the bottleneck, which is why computers with solid state drives (SSDs) are generally quicker than ones with mechanical drives (HDDs).
    High end gaming machines typically have memory chips in the 16GB to 34GB range, so can accept fast broadband to play games without it ever going near the drive.

It's usually only if you use a speed test such as Ookla that you actually push your broadband up to max capability, because that max is what the tests are trying to determine.

If you want to check what you are actually using at any time then there are tools that will show your real time download/upload speeds on the taskbar.

Or just open Task Manager, (right click anywhere on the Taskbar and select 'Task Manager' from the menu), click the 'Performance' tab, click the wifi section.
    That shows you what is happening with downloads/uploads in real time, you'll have to adjust/resize your open windows to keep an eye on it while you are working.

Of course either of those methods is only showing what your computer is doing, not any TV or other devices that you also have connected.
    But if you run something like iPlayer to stream a TV programme on your computer Task Manager will give an idea of what streaming TV uses.

Sorry I can't post screenshots, they have to be approved before they show on this forum.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-02-22 at 11:18.

I'm on a chromebook Nuke, My first two computers were windows but was using so little of what it could do & it was over complicated for what I wanted it for. A health forum I was on suggested a chrome browser on the computer which I tried & loved the simplicity of it, I've never used anything else for years.

Once I saw the Chromebooks come out I had one & haven't looked back since. I really hope they keep making them.

I understand it's going o be slower than the 100 I'm on now, but I have had 50 from Virgin more than once in the past when that was the best deal at the time & on both times I can remember they upped it to 100 for free after a few months of starting a new contract.

Whatever the speed turns out to be I can't justify spending another £9.99 a month to keep what I've got now. Especially after how they have treated me anyway. It's not like I'm in a hurry or working on it, just general browsing so I may wait a few seconds more for a page to pop up but I can handle that.

BT texted me today saying Hello BT here, Great news as part of your new BT broadband order, you will be upgrading to our next generation home phone service called digital voice, find out more (added a link)

I've had a look about it & one annoying thing & one good thing. The annoying thing is the phone will be put into the back of the modem so I usually switch off the broadband over night, but if I did that I wouldn't have the home phone line working until I switched it all back on the next day. And the good thing is there is a button on the phone which means you can block cold calls by pushing that button once & they have gone so looking forwards to trying that one out

Chromebooks do work differently from a Windows, Mac, or Linux system.

With a Chromebook most things are stored in "the cloud' rather than on the laptop itself.
    So you don't need much onboard storage, but do need a broadband connection.
    Chromebooks won't work (much) without broadband.

It sounds like the phone will be VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) which means that calls use the internet and so don't get charged seperately.

I've got a socket for it on my router, but my provider doesn't do it yet.

It can be a bitt more fiddly * to get used to but you should be able to turn the wifi off while leaving the phone connected using buttons on the front of the router.
    * It can be more fiddly because you have to turn off both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi's seperately on some routers.
    There again if you only turn one freqyency on (usually the 2.4) you'll only have one to turn off overnight.

Thanks Nuke,

I will ask the BT engineer when he comes if he can show me how to just switch the broadband off & keep the phone connected. Thinking about it, the only people who would phone me over night would be my family & that would only be in a emergency. I will let them know they would need to phone my mobile if I go with switching the phone off over night too.

Yes very true about only switching one on then only having to switch one off

Just for.more info;

2.4 ghz wifi signal is slower- but it carries further and goes through walls better.
    5 ghz wifi is 'newer', it can be faster, but doesn't carry as far or penetrate through walls the same.

Most current routers send out both signals unless you tell them not to.

TBH I'm not sure how much turning off wifi, or even turning off the router altogether, will save.
    It must save some electricity, but will it save a significant amount?

I doubt it's any more than leaving your TV on standy, or the many.digital clocks about the house. (on your cooker/microwave/bedroom clock/etc.)
    I feel some searching/research coming on
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-02-22 at 18:39.

Thanks for explaining that Nuke,

Research away . It's not only the electric cost if it's left on it's one more thing that could go wrong I.E cause a fire well that's my thinking anyway