Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

My broadband at the new flat is £23 a month for unlimited Fibre Plus broadband (up to 76Mbps/average 63 Mbps - I was getting 50/53Mbps last night when downloading Windows Updates on a laptop I'm fixing).

It's tied in with a dual-fuel tarrif, and having all three reduces both the gas and electric prices by 5% as well.

Calls are charged seperately, but you can add unlimited UK landlines/mobiles Evening/Weekend for £5, or anytime for £10 (or £12 if you want to include international calls).

So I don't think I'll be taking the BT. EDIT- One year later than this post, when my fixed tarrif at the energy company ended, I did switch to BT.

PS. My mobile's gone back onto a £1 a week PAYG pack which gives 100 mins, 200 texts, 10mb data.
    (if the 100 mins runs out you just start another pack for £1).
    Last edited by nukecad; 15-07-22 at 21:03.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The Democrat5is Peoples Republic of Nottingham
    My wife's mobile SIM from Three offers U/L minutes & texts & 1 gb data for 5 per month.

That's a great deal Nuke & that it reduces the gas & elec as well is a big bonus. And so is your mobile phone too.

I'm with Virgin have been for years had good deals & sometimes less good deals. This time because of covid they decided to give "vulnerable" people a better deal so mine was 20 for 100 speed & phone line. Said no increase while on the deal. They broke that & are now charging me 23.50 a month. I only had 100 speed because it was on a deal & cheaper than slower speeds at the time. Mines up next Feb & will see what deal they will give me then. So am thinking of this BT deal as an option especially as calls are included that would be great for talking to elderly family member.

gus607 I have a similar sim that gives me unlimited texts & minuets with 1gb a month for 5 think mines vodafone now they have just changed provider. I'm using the sim as PAYG at the mo at 5p a min but if I know I need to make more phone calls opt in the 5 a month package

My virgin broadband deal ends in two week so I was looking again at the BT deal. Straight away a chat pop up came up. So I thought I would ask if I would be accepted for the deal. They just asked me name address national insurance number. Within a few moments she came back & said yes. I asked a few questions & thanked her.

I tried the virgin media chat bot, who said it would put me through to someone, Then a message came up & it said the wait is over 4 hours do you want to chat on whatsapp so I said yes. Gave my mobile number & went through a few questions again same ones. Said someone will answer soon. An hour later It must of been the front line staff because I said I wanted a cheaper deal they quoted £51.

I said are you joking. Deal I'm on is £23.50 going up to £34 then March there will be a yearly increase on top of that.

Another 21 mins later I got, no I'm not joking that's the best deal I can do I will put you through to retentions team.

And you guessed it had to go through the same questions again & said someone will be there soon. 40 mins later sorry your still waiting please go about your normal day & we will send a ping to your phone when someone's available.

That was at 2.34 & nothing since.

Ho Hum

I've never changed broadband providers before they used to give me a good deal. I forgot to ask BT when I should call to put my 30 day leaving notice in to virgin if I go with BT. The only thing that's stopping me saying yes to BT is being scared of not having broadband because I need it to order food & pay bills

I have never had a problem changing providers, the changeover has been instant but they do warn you there may be a gap of a few hours. That has never happened to me.

I am with Now broadband and I pay £24 pound a month to include broadband, line rental and all phone calls off the landline. I think that is a very good deal. I know it is not fibre but it does what I need and want.

Thanks beau,

I have been looking at now broadband & phone too. At the mo it's £21 for new customers for what you have & BT is £20 so very little between them. I like that you can set something up on your phone line to help stop the annoying spam on BT, but no idea if it works or not.

The watsapp has pinged asking if I still need help & if I do say yes, which I have so back to waiting then. I had another look at the form you fill out for BT & it says if you are with cable & you want to keep your phone line number you need to wait until BT is set up before cancelling the one you are with. So looks like it's paying once for both.

The Democrat5is Peoples Republic of Nottingham
    Adding to this topic, I recently sacked Virgin Media after nearly twenty years of very good service. M200 broadband with free weekend calls going up to £61 per month in April. Last renewal I asked them to cancel the landline (which never gets used) that would have increasd my monthly bill by £1 !
    Getting sick & tired of having to haggle at every renewal time I did some research & tried Three 5G Mobile Broadband.

http://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband

If you live in a decent 5G area or 4G it is very simple to use,m just plug the free supplied router in to a socket & you are good to go.
    I live in a 5G area & have download speeds of over 500Mbps & upload speeds of 60Mbps.

On offer at the moment this costs me £21 per month unlimited downloads with 4G available at £14 per month unlimited.

The supplied router is wifi 6 capable & my wifi now reaches parts of my flat the VM router didn't & the router can be moved easily from room to room or even taken on holiday.
    A saving of £41 per month with better broadband is not to be sniffed at.

Thank you gus I will have a look

Oh my days I so want to use a swear word. He/she's only gone for a break half way though!

He/she started talking at 2.30 that's how long this convo has gone on for because he/she is obviously doing 3 convo's at a time. And now has just said:

Just to let you know I'm not going to be at my desk for the next 15 mins, don't worry I'll respond to you as I'm back.

So far I've been offered £36. no way, said Vodaphone 76 speed for £19 & BT 76 speed inclusive calls for £20. He/she said they will look for competative packages for me before the 15 min break reply.

Words fail me

I must of been the third convo, because 25 mins later came back & said that they might seem good deals now but could go up before end of contract & other companys phone lines are not as good as theirs because they are used by lots of other people.

Told him/her that's not true BT deal will not go up because it's a deal they are giving me because I'm on benefits

Told to come back before contract ends (what do they think I'm doing now?) because there are no big discounts now. Please call back before the end of your contract you can get the same price of your package before your contract ends.

So there we have it my contract ends 20th Feb in 12 days time. So they are not giving me a better discount until almost the last day of contract. And that discount will be the same as I'm paying now which is £23.50.

I said thanks for a total waist of 2 days!

How much would virgin media save in staffing costs if they allow people to do a decent deal in the month they are out of contract.

How i feel right now is get stuffed Virgin media humph!