Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

Good that you found a work around Nuke, not long to go now

Yeh, this BT Open Wifi is pretty clunky and pretty slow, so I'm tethering the phone if it's important.

I just noticed that the BT Smart Hub 2 cannot be wall mounted because all the sockets are on the back. Bit of a design flaw there.
    It needs to be on the wall in my flat (has to go in the entrance hall because of phone/power socket locations) so I'll have to look at fitting a small shelf or bracket, maybe higher up than my current router was because it will stick out more.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Shame it has to be in the hall up high. Would be a lot better elsewhere. If you have a BT socket, they put a new front on it for the new digital voice.

Wifi routers usually give better coverage when up high on the wall.

I'll be setting it up myself, no need for an engineer.
    You just use a filter/splitter, provided in the box but I've already got one because SSE don't want theirs back.
    Or I could buy a new dual-socket front plate with a filter built in, they are easy to fit and look neater.

But you only need the 2 sockets if you have broadband and non-internet phones.
    Putting internet phone on the line disables the 'old style' digital phone connection anyway.
    You still get a dial tone on non-internet phones but they won't send or recieve calls without being connected to the hub.
    There is a covered over phone socket on the back of the Smart Hub for if you still need to plug in an older non-internet phone, just peel the black sticker off and you'll see a green phone socket.
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-06-22 at 16:03.

The BT kit has just arrived at 09:45, I'd been told it wouldn't come until Monday so it's 2 days early.
    (Checking my phone Royal Mail have been texting me that it's on its way and would be delivered today).

It all looks reasonable enough and simple enough to set up, I'll do that later then switch it off until next Tuesday.
    (Unless the line is connected already too).

The router is much smaller than the dimensions I'd seen online, guess that's a typo on the webpages.
    I also note that there is no black sticker over the phone socket like the ones I've seen online, guess it saves a few pennies.
    It does look like a new unit and not a refurb.
    Now I can work out properly how I'm going to site/mount it.

I don't find the phone too bad for weight, about the same weight as my Samsung S3 mini, but it is tall and an awkward shape.
    The back is curved in both directions so you wouldn't be able to put it flat on a table to dial, you have to hold it.
    Maybe a bean-bag or some kind of cradle could hold it firmly on a table?
    I guess the idea is that you leave it on the charging disc and using it by shouting at Alexa to dial for you? That's not going to happen here.

EDIT- All set up and connected as far as possible.
    Names/passwords changed, etc., done a document scan to check that the printer connects with the laptop OK over wifi.
    One thing that can't be done yet is to 'register' the phone with the hub, apparently it needs a live internet connection to be able to do that.
    Hub switched off now till Tuesday, phone sat on the charger to top the batteries.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-07-22 at 11:57.

Yes mine arrived two days before the engineer visited. It's sent Royal Mail tracked 24 hours.

Mine was brand new too

The weight of the phone must be my neuro muscle weakness illness then, because I can't hold it up for more than a minute or two before my muscles hurt & start to shake. It's a clunky bugger for sure. I hold it while I find the number in my contacts then push the green button again & that's the speaker phone. Then I put it down on the arm of the sofa. No Alexa here & there never will be either. I love that you can take the charging disk off charge & take the phone and disk in other rooms with you so it's sat in that. I'm waiting to see if you press random buttons by accident when it rings & you pick it up

The engineer tried to registered the phone for me. He sorted out the Broadband first, then did the phone. That's when he said the digital voice hasn't worked, that happens sometimes & left. He said contact BT & they will sort it out. So I went on BT website & spoke to a chat adviser person on there, asked a few questions thanked me & said they will sort it out. Then the next day early I had an email to let me know it was working.

Then a few hours later compensation for not getting everything working the day they said they would. I'm hoping they get all yours working on Tuesday

Did you find the full user guide for the phone that explains what everything does?
    It's not in the box with the phone and it can be a bit tricky to find it. Although as you had an engineer maybe they gave you a copy.
    It's a PDF that you download:
    https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/he...-UserGuide.pdf

There's also an online guide to using the hub manager if you want/need that:
    https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/le...bt-hub-manager

That's where you change the wifi name and passwords, turn the hub lights on/off/dim, change the phone name (and any other connected devices) and various other settings.
    (PS. Most people recommend that you turn off smart setup on a BT hub, it asks questions whenever you connect a new device which can be annoying for whoever has just connected).

Most router/hub control panels are similar, so if you are the techie type you'd find your way into and around it anyway, if you're not a techie type then you can just leave it set at the defaults.

Now you are asking Nuke

I can't remember if there was a user guide in the box or not, but I'm guessing yes because I knew how to work it so I must have seen what the buttons were for somewhere!.

I don't touch the router, It's happy sat on the floor behind the sofa near a window getting 71 speeds which in reality should of been the worst place to put it acording to what you read online about the best place to put a router.

One thing I have noticed is I got three spam calls I blocked them three numbers & since then have not had any more. Whether that's a coincidence or BT really are blocking the numbers that try & subsequent numbers from the same location?. Or can the spam callers see that BT have blocked spam callers to my number before so leave me alone?

There was a basic setup guide in the box, but it doesn't tell you much.

The online guide is much more detailed about how to actually use the phone, and about just what the various features do.

For instance it tells you that blocked calls are sent straight to a 'junk' voicemail; you can access it if you want to see (or listen to) what is in there:
    Where do calls I block go?
    They go to your Call Protect junk
    voicemail. You can still listen to
    any messages moved to your
    junk voicemail and unblock any
    numbers that you need to keep.
    Just press Menu on the home
    screen and then press Select to
    go into the Call Protect menu.

Yes I found that out by poking around in my BT account, you can see the list there without having to go through the phone, handy when you don't get on with the clunky phone like me.