Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

Nuke, they also tell you if there has been any credit checks on you. If there are then it could indicate someone is trying to get credit in your name. Difficult in this day and age but it does happen.

When I was reading through the small print on BT before I chose it, I read that if you are not with BT they will do a credit check on you. So I can't be too bad as they have accepted me .

Which has reminded me on the T&C's of being accepted it said on ESA IR you have to be getting more of the IR element than the contribution bit. I know I get more contribution than IR element but they accepted me. Who knows

Does my bum look big in BT

The Democrat5is Peoples Republic of Nottingham
    Left VM on 24th February this year & received my final bill which is in credit by £11.54.
    Rang VM today & after running around the houses with various keypad options I finally got to speak to a human being after about fifteen minutes.
    Was told my credit would be repaid by cheque after 45 days from the account closure.
    Talk about hanging on to money.

Blimey gus they should pay you interest it's going to be so long!

You prompted me to call Virgin as I have not had a last bill. Good job I did as they said my broadband is cancelled but my phone line is still live until March 31st. I said no, I asked for it to be stopped yesterday same time as my broadband. (I know the landline is not working because I stuck my old phone in the vm phoneline socket last night & it had been stopped).

So he said it could be because you need it to carry on so your new provider keeps you phone number. I said that's not true because I'm now talking to you from my new landline with BT that's my same phone number.

So he said right would you like me to cancel that right away I said yes. So I could hear him typing. I said I need a final bill. He said it will be £9.27. He said he is cancelling my DD with them & I can pay it now on the phone with him or through my account online as a one off payment then your next bill will come up as owing £0.00. I said I would do it now on the phone.

So he said that's done, I've cancelled your DD & finalised this last bill of £9.27 & your next bill will for £0.00.

So I put the phone down picked it right back up again & called my bank & cancelled the DD my end too.

I had another email about sending them the router back, says I will have packaging delivered or someone in my area might call round keep an eye out for sms message. I can't get the white long wire with a yellow clip off the back of the router, so lets hope it's big packaging!

What a difference a company makes. Had an email this morning from BT saying:

Dear Starbright,

We're very sorry we didn't switch on your services when we said we would. We've added a £5.04 credit to your next bill to try & make up for it. You don't need to do anything - you'll see your credit on your next bill.

To digress a bit, but it's still on the subject of leaving a supplier and billing.

I've recieved 4 emails from Scottish Power this morning, 25 March 2022.

Remember that it's now 10 months since I moved to my new flat and left Scottish Power.

First one (timed at 04:07) says they have estimated a final bill and it's '£-2840.36 in credit'. It asks for a meter reading.
    (Presumably the '£-' is meant to say it's a debit not a credit).
    Second one (timed at 04:07) says they have estimated a final bill and it's '£-2809.10 in credit'. It asks for a meter reading.
    Third one (timed at 04:35) says they have estimated a final bill and it's '£-2861.18 in credit'. It asks for a meter reading.
    Fourth one (timed at 04:35) says they have used actual meter readings provided and there is '£2914.75 due to pay' - for the period 23rd August 2017 to 2nd June 2021.

Four emails in half an hour, each one saying something different.
    I might even class that as harrasment when I get round to complaining to them.

Looking at the email headers they all originate from Spain - iberdrola.es - (which apparently is a Spanish company that owns Scottish Power).

Seems like it's fun and games time with SP again.

They haven't actually sent me a bill since 2016, (last time I was in dispute with them), I would frequently telephone them about it and I was always told:
    "Yes we can see that, not sure why that's happened, we'll correct it, wait for your next bill'
    Eventually I took them at their word and waited for a 'next bill' that never came.

I know that because they have not been billing correctly then under the 'Offgem Back Billing Principle' they can't charge for anything over 12 months old.
    I have copies from their website of their 'Final bill' from last June showing the account closed and no charges since 2017. (which will be what that 4th creative email has been based on).

So by that Offgem Principle because they haven't sent a bill since 2016, alright I can show/prove 2017 even though I never got it, they can't (shouldn't) issue a bill today that bills for anything before 25 March 2021.

Maybe I'll even get chance to take them to court this time round.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Blimey o rilley Nuke!

Well if there is anyone that could take them to court that's you Nuke

Just seen my first bill come up on BT due on or before 4th April, it does have the £5.04 taken off & it lists all my calls & all of them have come up costing £0.00

Using my chromebook there was absolutely no difference speed wise from 100 VM speed to 55 BT speed. If anything I think it is slightly faster. I got 55 speed for the first 2 days & today I'm clocking up 65. It says they tinker around with it for the first 10 days to get the fastest speed to me they can.

I'm more than happy with that

After a quick look about it gets even better.

It appears that in 2020 that 'Offgem Back Billing Principle' was actually written into the "ELECTRICITY ACT 1989, Standard conditions of electricity supply licence".
    So it's no longer simply a 'principle' that the suppliers had agreed to comply with, it's now now written by law into their operating licences.

I'm not rushing into writing/sending my complaint yet, I'll calm down a bit first.

Yes the broadband will be a bit variable for the first week or so as they try connections to different servers, etc. to see which is best for your connection.
    55/65 on wifi is very good, you'll get double that if you use a cable, for technical reasons wifi is always half the speed of a cabled connection from the same router.

Mine normally maxes at around 75/80 on wifi which is particularly good for rural broadband, although I suppose having Sellafield nearby helps there will be a good fibre line in fo r that.
    I have seen my wifi in the hundreds during a Windows Update. Apparently Microsoft have some way around your suppliers normal 'throttling'.
    At the moment although I'm in Cumbria I'm connected to a Vodaphone server in Manchester and Ookla is showing 34 mbps download speed, if I switch to a server in Kendal that drops to 30, Vodaphone in Edinburgh only gives 10, tried a few others but the Vodaphone Manchester is fastest connection for me at the moment).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I understand what you mean by not rushing into writing/sending your complaint until you have calmed down a bit. I could have let rip so many times with VM in the last couple of months.

I always like to think about any decision I make for a while anyway, I'm just made like that.

I really didn't know anything about servers or how many there are of them, let alone you can get different speeds from them until now. I hope you can get a faster speed soon.

I'm pleased you think 55/65 on wifi is very good, I'm really very pleased with it & having free phone calls is brilliant especially as we are older & sicker now, keeping in contact on the phone is even more important.