Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

Thankful you have your money now gus & free from VM.

But way too long a wait

Had an email about my SSE broadband reaching it's fixed contract end next week, and me not wishing to continue.

I'd explained that I could get a comparable fibre broadband for half their price (BT), but was going mobile rather than landline.

Nice and polite, no issues, they will terminate service on the end date as requested.

DD is already cancelled and I'll pay them for the last month by card.
    So no possibility of an overpayment to try and claw back.

They don't even want the router sending back, just ask me to 'please dispose of it responsibly'.
    It's a 1 year old router in mint condition and I've still got the box, it's not going in the recycling. I'll probably sell it, give it to a charity shop, or freecycle it.
    (Or I might keep it, even without an internet connection the wifi can be used as a private network hub for my computers, connecting wireless printer, etc).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Pleased it's all going well & no gorilla tactics like VM.

I never knew how useful free phone calls were going to be! I must have racked up hundreds of pounds of calls since having it with one thing or another going on.

Any of the options with what to do with the router are good Think my VM router must have been 5-6 years old, they "recondition them" just being a pain in the butt me thinks

Well the one I've got is still the latest top of the range and sells new for about £125, so I was assuming that they'd want it back.

Obviously they'll buy them cheaper as bulk orders, but it's still going to be a big chunk of the £275 or so that I've paid for 12 months broadband.
    Presumably most stay with them for longer than the initial 12 months and their return policy reflects that.

For anyone still interested in my ramblings - my Fibre Broadband contract fixed term ended yesterday and I'm currently tethering through my 3G+ phone.
    Not sure if they have disconnected the fibre yet, but I've turned the router off and unplugged it from the phone line.

3G+ is slightly slower than fibre with a few things, but it's not that noticable at all.

However I've had a rethink about my future internet plans - and it's all change, again.

The original plan was to get a new 4G phone on monthly contract and use that to tether to the laptop or as a mobile hotspot instead of a router, which would cost £23 a month which was less than Fibre landline renewal was going to be. (£36 a month, or £28 a month for a 2 year fixed term).
    Remember that 3G stops next spring and so my current phone needs replacing anyway.

Then when the £150 and £650 Energy payments were announced, my plan was to use one of those to buy a 4G phone outright and use that to do the same with a PAYG data pack, that would cost me about £15 a month so a big saving.

But on a rethink, I can still buy the phone outright anyway, keep my current £1 a week calls/texts phone pack, and get BT essentials broadband for just £15 a month.
    ie. Still have fibre broadband, still have a new 4G phone, and still all for less than I was paying last year, never mind what it was going up to.

So I've grasped the nettle and have just signed up to BT essentials. (Not got the 4G mobile yet, that will be next month).
    As well as the broadband it's also coming with an 'Alexa enabled advanced cordless' VOIP phone for free; I doubt that I'll be enabling Alexa but a free VOIP a phone is not to be sneezed at - and Alexa is there if you do want that.

So the timing of my fixed BB contract ending has come at a good time, it's made some decent savings (and a new mobile) possible.

I have a question Nuke,

If you have BT essentials for £15 a month which includes 700 minutes a month & unlimited broadband would you need a 4G phone anyway?. Are you away from home enough to warrant spending so much on a phone that you won't need as such for BB or calls?.

Genuinely asking to save you money

As for the VOIP phone..urm I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, it's free & I love that you can just press a button & the scam call disappears. Also the sound when connected to someone else who has digital voice is amazing. But it's tall, wide, heavy & clumsy. I can't hold the phone up for long at all due to how much it weighs, so I always answer it & put it on loud speaker & rest it on the sofa. The clumsy bit is the buttons go right to the very edge of the phone so when you pick it up to answer you press buttons at the same time, which has sometimes meant I accidentally pressed the red button & cut them off

However I'm getting a bit better at that now, & haven't cut anyone off for 2 weeks now

I would be greatful for updates on what speed you get on the £15 a month plan & generally interested in how you get on with the whole experiance. I had to wait the 30 days because of VM but as you are free of contract I hope they can get you sorted out soon

It's a good point.

I do still want a mobile for texts, and yes for when I'm out and about, and like I say my current one is 3G which stops next spring.
    I'd still be able to use it on wifi for the internet, even without a sim in a smartphone you can do that, but calls/texts will stop.
    (Well they might carry on for another 6 or 12 months on 2G, but that will be stopping too).

Things like the 2 factor security on UC and my online banking send a code by text for you to login, a different code each time.
    You can do it otherways if you don't have a mobile, but getting the code does make that easier.

As the PAYG talk & text pack I use is only £1 a week then it's not that costly, and I should be able just swap my current sim into the new phone.

So it's just the cost of the phone itself, I'm looking at a Samsung A13 4G which is currently £130 on Samsungs website, or at Argos, although that may change.
    There are cheaper phones out there but I like and trust Samsung.
    Plus I'd prefer to spend some of the £326 we get next month on something that is going to last a number of years rather than just let it dribble away.

TBH the BT phone is probably just going to sit there unused most of the time, unless I know that it's going to be a long call.
    I haven't had anything but a mobile for the past 20 years. I've had the landline here for a year and never plugged a phone into it just the router.

Interesting to hear your thoughts about the BT phone, I've not realy looked at the specs yet.

Yes I'll let you know how things go.
    Up to now I've ordered and paid the £9.99 delivery charge, the order is confirmed and I'm waiting for a delivery date and service connection date.

What kind of speeds are you getting with BT essentials broadband?

I'm now being shown an equipment delivery date of 4th July, with a service activation on 5th July.

Not sure if almost a fortnight for delivery is normal for BT?

In the meantime one of my neighbours (don't know which one) has a BT hub, so now I'm a BT broadband customer myself I'm able to log into the BT open wifi hotspot on that.
    I'm logged into it right now.

Being a numpty & can't delet it sorry

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    It's a good point.

I do still want a mobile for texts, and yes for when I'm out and about, and like I say my current one is 3G which stops next spring.
    I'd still be able to use it on wifi for the internet, even without a sim in a smartphone you can do that, but calls/texts will stop.
    (Well they might carry on for another 6 or 12 months on 2G, but that will be stopping too).

Things like the 2 factor security on UC and my online banking send a code by text for you to login, a different code each time.
    You can do it otherways if you don't have a mobile, but getting the code does make that easier.

As the PAYG talk & text pack I use is only £1 a week then it's not that costly, and I should be able just swap my current sim into the new phone.

So it's just the cost of the phone itself, I'm looking at a Samsung A13 4G which is currently £130 on Samsungs website, or at Argos, although that may change.
    There are cheaper phones out there but I like and trust Samsung.
    Plus I'd prefer to spend some of the £326 we get next month on something that is going to last a number of years rather than just let it dribble away.

TBH the BT phone is probably just going to sit there unused most of the time, unless I know that it's going to be a long call.
    I haven't had anything but a mobile for the past 20 years. I've had the landline here for a year and never plugged a phone into it just the router.

Interesting to hear your thoughts about the BT phone, I've not realy looked at the specs yet.

Yes I'll let you know how things go.
    Up to now I've ordered and paid the £9.99 delivery charge, the order is confirmed and I'm waiting for a delivery date and service connection date.

What kind of speeds are you getting with BT essentials broadband?
    You seem to have worked it out & thought a lot about it. I knew you would, but thought I would ask the question as that's what I would be asking myself in your position. I've no idea what G my mobile is it was a Christmas pressent over 5 years ago, a Honor x8. So if it stops working next spring I will know why .

You have made me think of my use of my mobile & whether I need a smartphone. What I use it for is the bank text thing like you, & taking photos & whatsapp to driving family member. Mostly phot's because i can easliy upload then to the chromebook. It was cheaper to make calls from the mobile when I was with VM, but now they are all free with BT.

My £20 a month BT started at 49 speed I test on speedtest.net. It slowly started to climb each day & I now get 71which they say anything from 55-73 so very happy with that.