Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Basic Phone On It's Own Or With Broadband Cheap If On Certain Benefit's 10.07!

The Democrat5is Peoples Republic of Nottingham
    When I gave notice to leave I specifically requested no follow up phone calls. Instead I got emails & text messages. Talk about hard sell tactics.

That's a brilliant idea gus wish I had thought of it.

One more call yesterday when i picked it up and said hello, they blasted loud music at me

Hoping that was the third strike & they leave me alone now. But that's probably wishful thinking.

I have no interest in what offer they will give me now.

Bugger I thought I'd got away with it!

It was all quiet until now VM wants to know why I left I said it's because of how you treated me after being with you for 15 years rounded it all up in a few sentences the last one being you even left me hanging for 15 mins on whatsapp while they went on a tea break so that's what I'm going to do to you now goodbye & put the phone down

Instantly called me back & I pressed green on the phone then red within a second of each other so I don't have to listen to it ringing.

Bt have sent out my home phone & Hub via Royal mail tracked

I have a question, the night before the Bt engineer comes should I take the virgin router off if I can or leave it all & let him/her take it off? There's just one lead to a socket on the wall & normal electric plug

Do you mean that it's fixed to the wall?
    If so it should just slide upwards and then can be pulled off the screws.
    If you are not sure then ask the BT tech to do it.

You can leave everything plugged in (and working if VM haven't cut it off) until it's time to connect the new BT stuff.

It's not much different to getting a new TV and having a tech set it up for you.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sorry Nuke,

I mean there is a small white socket/box thing on the wall a bit bigger than a phone socket which has what looks like a screwed in cable going into that to the VM router. If It's OK to leave it then I will let the engineer do it Thanks Nuke

I've seen what you mean now.

It's VM's connection box, they have their own fibre optic network seperate from the telephone network.
    (That was their main selling point before the telephone network was converted to fibre optic cables, which still hasn't been completed in some rural areas).

BT will use a standard phone socket and phone line.

The BT tech will probably disconnect any equipment connected to the VM wall box, but won't remove it (or any other VM stuff).

You can actually have VM coming through their network and BT broadband coming through the telephone network both at the same time.
    (I guess someone might have a reason for doing that and paying two bills?)

Just leave it there and think of it like a phone socket that is not connected to the network.
    Like when you first move into a new place, there's usually a phone socket and it's wired to the network, but it needs connecting (at the green box on the street?) before you can use it.

Once you have BT up and running you can disconnect any cables from that VM wall box, if the BT tech hasn't already done it for you.
    If in future you, or anyone else, wants to put VM on again their network line/socket is already there so can be connected with what they call their 'quick start package'.
    TBH it would be more hassle to remove the VM box and line than just leaving it there unused.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-03-22 at 07:50.

Thanks Nuke, that's put my mind at rest

Royal mail sent me an email over night saying the BT hub2 & phone are coming tomorrow

I've received my phone & hub. I've left it as it came & will let the engineer open it when he/she is here.

I looked on my account & the next bill has come up for the full month & not only up until the 23rd of March. So I just called them & they said once your service has stopped they then generate & send out a bill that will be just what I've used & not the full month.

If the money comes out of my account before they have stopped my service then they refund me. But luckily mine comes out around the 6th of every month so in theory that should not effect me.

We shall see

Cancel the DD with your bank before they take the money. (It's easy to do if you have online banking).

They won't stop the service for one 'missing' payment.

That way they will be chasing you for a final bill rather than you trying to get a refund, which you are unlikely to get.

It also stops them continuing to take monthly payments even after you have left; something that often happens when you cancel a broadband (or mobile phone) contract.