Thread: Question for Nuke :)

Question for Nuke :)

Hi Nuke, one for me this time!

So, sitting here thinking about the future I wondered if there would be any real benefit to moving to UC before I reach pension age (June 2022).

I currently receive IS, Disability Premium, Severe Disability Premium and the Carers Premium, PIP Standard Rate Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility and Carers Allowance for my adult Autistic son.

Would there be any real benefit either way when I reach 65 or should I not risk rocking the boat and stay as I am?.

Thanks

My first thought was 'gawd knows, that will take some checking', especially as pensions are not something I'm clued up on - and then I read again what benefits you curently get.

As you have SDP then you can't claim UC, the law prevents it.

OK, you could close your IS, thus losing the premiums, and then wait a month before claiming UC. But I don't see any obvious point in doing that.

What were you thinking that you might gain by claiming UC?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I got interested so decided to try a comparison of what you get now as opposed to what you should get if you could move to UC.

Ignoring the PIP and CA, because they stay outside of UC, (and the CA gets deducted from both IS and UC so no change there).

I think you currently get:
    74.35 IS
    34.95 DP
    66.95 SDP
    37.50 CP

213.75 a week total. (Before the CA is taken off)

To give a monthly equivalent: 213.75 x 52.143 / 12 = 928.73 monthly.

With UC I believe that you should get:
    409.89 Standard allowance. (Includes the extra 20/week for coronavirus).
    341.92 LCWRA - You would need to have a WCA before that is paid, and it wouldn't be paid for the first 3 months of UC.
    162.92 Carer element

914.73 a month total. (Before the CA is taken off)

So even if you could move to UC (without missing a month of IS and risking a WCA) you are better off as you are now.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-05-20 at 16:12.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Many thanks Nuke

I just wasn't sure if it would make any real difference when the time comes to apply for my pension.

As you say there's no good reason for switching to UC now, not with the risk of delays in getting it all sorted so I'll leave things as they are.

I think what's at the back of this is me worrying more about what will happen to my son after I'm gone, so I've been going over benefits etc. to see where I could make any improvements. Ideally he'd be settled in a place of his own before I go but that's looking very unlikely, my HA have refused to add him to the tenancy agreement as he's only 30 next month and we're in an over 55's bungalow.

The woman who lived next door got moved into a 1 bed flat next to a load of druggies when her dad passed, she self couldn't stand the place, constant noise and dogs barking at all hours, neighbours dogs fouling outside her front door etc., she died after being there for only 2 years.

He won't live with his mother, she left us about 4 months after he was diagnosed and has had almost nothing to do with him for the last 14 years. His elder brother lives in Amsterdam and his younger sister lives with his mum.

Social Services wrote him off years ago saying there was nothing they could do for him, like a lot of carers as long as we can do the job of looking after our loved ones it suits them nicely.

Once again thank you very much for all your help, stay safe!
    Last edited by phaedra; 08-05-20 at 23:40.