Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

It does feel a bit like that Nuke,

I heard that last night too Nuke, they said it's like the Spanish flu it didn't start there but they identified it first (or came out with it first)

Seems UK want to do lateral flow tests on the lorry drivers France want's laboratory tests on them think UK said they will bring the army in to do the tests.

I'm a bit bemused by the interviews with overseas lorry drivers stuck here now.

OK you have to feel sorry for them but:

When interviewed they almost all say they didn't think it could happen. Surely that's part of the risk of regularly crossing/recrossing borders at the moment?

Next they say all they want to do is get home to their families for Christmas. - You can only assume that either they are not thinking straight or that they want to risk giving the virus to their families as an extra present?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Personally if that was my job I would always have something I could use with an airtight lid for going to the toilet, toilet paper & a supply of food & drink.

But that could just be me

They found a group of three with a Christmas tree no social distancing there.

I hope the UK remembers this, I hope we have a very long memory off all the problems they have caused with leaving the EU & this closure.

I hope we start sourcing the products we buy from France else where & the other country's we buy from that come via France we make alternative routes.

Hold us hostage once don't give them a second shot at it

I don't see that as quite fair.

France especially has a much bigger problem with closing the channel crossings than we do in the UK.

Everything coming from not just France but Spain, Belgium, Italy, Greece, Southern Germany, North Africa, Egypt, Israel, etc. travels through France to cross the channel at Calais-Dover.
    Look at the the country of origin on your food, especially your fruit and veg (don't forget potatoes).

Obviously our news in the UK concentrates on lorry stacks in Kent - but think about what's happening on the other side in France.

PS. A lot of these long distance cabs have better facilities than an old style 1960's bedsit.
    Have you ever sat in an hydraulically supported, ergonomically designed long distance truck seat? (It's comfier than your best armchair).
    Bed of course, a heater comes with being a truck as long as the engine is running, fridge, microwave, TV/internet by 4G (or 5G) wifi.
    Some even have showers with the water heated by the engine, but that's often outside of the cab and having a shower outside the cab in winter may be a bit chilly when the hot water stops.
    Toilets can be a problem because no one wants to smell their cab out, but some of the more expensive cabs even include those with a collection tank underneath the cab.

Give me a decent long distance truck cab and a supply/restock of food (and beer of course) and I'd happily self isolate in it for a month or two.

On another note.

My ESA went in the bank today and I feel that I should be rushing out to stock up for Christmas and New year.

But there is nothing I really need to get.

Fair enough I need bread, milk, eggs, fresh veg, all as usual.

But I'm fine for the bigger stuff - I froze a beef joint last week, I've got frozen lamb and pork chops, chicken, mince, liver, fish (battered and not).
    I've also a good selection of tinned and dried stuff.

Maybe that's due to at least a years 'just in case' 'bit-by-bit' stocking up for a no deal brexit, and then for a covid crisis?

I also seem to be eating/using less, and so spending less, during the various lockdowns.

So maybe a few treats for christmas and new year, and otherwise just what I would normally buy at any other time.

I will still be doing a raft of cooking and baking tomorrow, but this year it will only be for me to use over the next week or so.
    Although most people like my baked goods (and I enjoy theirs) I wouldn't expect anyone to share at the moment.
    (Funny that one, we are quite happy to eat something wrapped at a factory by a total stranger, but not so sure about cooked goods from our friends).

I'm not one for turkey but do like some roast pork, stuffing, and apple sauce, for christmas dinner so if I see a nice (cheapish) pork joint I'll probably get that.

Sounds like you are mostly set up Nuke,

Sounds like it's the usual free for all scrum in the supermarkets so pick a quieter time if there is one.

I'm in the I've cooked something for the first time but am unsure if it's right camp at the mo It's now chilling out in the fridge to be cooked again Christmas day & Boxing day. If I'm OK Boxing day then I haven't poisoned myself I've frozen the rest in one person portions which means I've got 7 diners out of it.

I had a late Tesco delivery last night it was the only one I could get this week it wasn't for anything much more or different than my normal shop to be honest. I'm extremely very lucky to get that as there are a huge amount of vulnerable people who have not been able to get slots. Thankfully got next week's too as new years week is the same.

I do like Turkey & family member usually cooks one but we haven't done that this year. I do like a roast beef joint, but not keen on a pork joint also you can't re cook pork & I don't like it cold so no point in me trying to cook one.

I didn't think of what the French side looks like, I guess it's just as bad as our side. The army are there testing now so things are very slowly moving it's going to take a long time to get that lot moving again. I really don't know why company's kept sending the lorry's out full to join the end of the que

We have a brexit deal imminently apparently

And Matt Hancock is giving a covid briefing at 3pm looks like more places going into higher tiers

I'm in the I've cooked something for the first time but am unsure if it's right
    Trust your instincts - if it looks right and tastes right then it's alright.

Smell is another thing, some christmas traditions can be smelly, https://www.scandinaviastandard.com/...-surstromming/

One of the problems over that past few years has been with certain 'Celebrity chefs' trying to say that undercooked food is 'good' so that they can get more people in and out of their high priced venues each night by spending less time on the cooking.

Without mentioning names you only have to look at those venues run by 'Top Chefs' that got shut down for giving their customers food poisoning.
    Last edited by nukecad; 23-12-20 at 15:31.

We are okay for the next couple of weeks, plenty of bread in the freezer and milk with long dates so we won't be going anywhere near a supermarket until the new year. I will miss my fruit when this lot has gone but it is not worth the risk just to get that.

We have a small turkey breast joint in a foil tray bought reduced and frozen earlier this year, enough to last 2 days, frozen veg and I will make some stuffing. We don't go overboard as we eat very little and I do hate waste.

More places put into tier 4 to start Boxing day midnight:

Sussex
    Oxfordshire
    Suffolk
    Norfolk
    Cambridgeshire
    Parts of Essex currently not in Tier 4
    Waverley in Surrey
    Hampshire, with the exception of the New Forest

There has also been places put into tier 3 from tier 2 as well so you will need to use the postcode checker to find out which tier you are in. It's not working at the mo because I've just checked mine & it is still saying what I was in & not what I am now in from Boxing day night:

https://www.gov.uk/find-coronavirus-local-restrictions

And there is a new strain from South Africa which is more catching than our new strain. There are 2 cases found so far in the UK.

Sounds good beau

It's a smell thing Nuke, but it's not a bad smell it just smells strongly of what it is. I will cook it again at 200 for 20 mins (just one person portion) before I eat it so it should kill anything if I missed anything the first time.

I'm having a problem with wheat flour at the mo. Wheat wasn't one of my allergies found years ago, but I know anyone at any time can become allergic to something. I can't eat wheat flour bread, ( I can't actually find a bread that does not contain something I'm allergic or intolerant to) but I can eat Warburtons wheat crumpets! . So family member has been trying to make buns today with this flour:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-600912-600913

Family member is a good baker & makes fab "normal" buns. Apparently they had risen then once taken out went down. It's difficult because I can't have eggs either so these buns are made from this flour, sugar, goats yogurt to replace the eggs & pure sunflower marg. I know every ingredient is good for me it's just the flour that's new. So we shall see what they taste like Christmas day & if my system accepts this flour. Would like to find a flour I can have to make bread, scones & pizza bases as well as cakes.