Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

A couple of weeks ago much of SE England woke up for a couple of days in a row to dense fog... and how does this virus spread?

Anyone walking around in the fog who was infected would leave plenty of droplets with the virus floating around.

Anyone walking around in the fog who was not infected would have encountered droplets with the virus attached.

Who was stupid enough to go out in the fog in densly populated areas?

Quote Originally Posted by gothitjulie View Post
    A couple of weeks ago much of SE England woke up for a couple of days in a row to dense fog... and how does this virus spread?

Anyone walking around in the fog who was infected would leave plenty of droplets with the virus floating around.

Anyone walking around in the fog who was not infected would have encountered droplets with the virus attached.

Who was stupid enough to go out in the fog in densly populated areas?
    Damn.
    My granddaughter did, and she lives with me.
    She,s not stupid, she will have had no choice, as it was a college day

Now I'd look at it the other way and say the opposite - that fog/mist and rain are a good thing:

It's just that while the fog droplet are floating about you can see them whereas you can't see the virus, the virus droplets are there anyway.

Fog/mist droplets are hundreds or even thousands of times bigger and heavier than virus droplets, and so the virus particles stuck to them won't be able to drift/spread as far.

That also has a bonus that your face covering will catch the bigger water droplets holding the virus stuck to them, where it would let the much smaller virus droplets through on their own.
    So be extra careful to wash and disinfect your mask after use in rain or fog.

Think as fog and mist like a kind of atmospheric face-mask, with the water droplets collecting up the invisible virus droplets and stopping them spreading as far.
    And being heavier they will fall to the ground more quickly than the virus would on it's own.

Rain will have a similar effect, collecting virus droplets and taking them down to the ground.
    Drizzly rain is probably better than heavy rain for that.

The air is always cleaner after rain and fog because they wash dust, pollution, and other contiminants out of the atmosphere.

Infection rates do go up in bad weather, it happens every year in winter which is why there is a 'flu season', but that's because people huddle together indoors infecting each other.

On another note:
    It seems the new variant has given the government a bonus of being able to blame cross-border chaos on the virus rather than their ineptitude over Brexit.
    (I'm not saying that the public announcement of this new strain was delayed a few weeks and staged on purpose, but they've known about if for a number of weeks and the announcement has come at a pretty convienent time for them so does make you wonder).
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-12-20 at 14:34.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Transport minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbari said cross-EU talks will take place within hours to "establish a solid health protocol" that could begin to unblock the port of Dover.

So hopefully things will start to move soon.

I remember that lorry drivers in the first wave were stopped from leaving their lorry's for anything, they would not let them use a toilet or stop to have a shower. I hope that this won't happen again.

I'm feeling so sorry for all those people stuck in their lorry's must be horrible

LOL, I've just come across an apt expression on rightsnet to describe the UK's Christmas situation - "tier-jerking".

That made me laugh. Nukecad

I wonder how long before someone at the newspapers picks it up (we know their reporters read rightsnet); tomorrows headlines perhaps?

Oops, apparently The New Statesman podcasts have been using it all month.
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-12-20 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post

On another note:
    It seems the new variant has given the government a bonus of being able to blame cross-border chaos on the virus rather than their ineptitude over Brexit.
    (I'm not saying that the public announcement of this new strain was delayed a few weeks and staged on purpose, but they've known about if for a number of weeks and the announcement has come at a pretty convienent time for them so does make you wonder).

You credit the government with a foresight that's been lacking hitherto. If they'd been actively planning to exploit what you - IMO - rightly call their Brexit ineptitude I doubt even they would be stupid enough to say cancelling Xmas would be 'inhumane' on Wednesday only to do so on Saturday. And while the new variant has been known about for several weeks it take time to compile and analyse data to have any sense of its progress and effects.

Absolutely agree though it will be used as cover for other failings. Much easier to say 'this is down to an unforeseen global pandemic' than 'we screwed this up'

France have the new strain of covid already in their country, albeit a few cases & so far not spreading as fast as it is here (perhaps they have less morons than us). France wanted to give back to the UK 25% of our own fish. We wanted 60% of our own fish back.

Since France shut us out Boris has (supposedly) come down from 60% to 35%

Who even knows anymore why things are being done

Many European countries already have the new variant (and Africa has a different variant).

As someone on TV pointed out last night, the UK has very good medical sequencing facilities, so we were simply the first to announce what it was and what the mutation means for infection rates.

A bit of dark humor:

Five minutes ago someone started ringing a handbell on the marketplace ouside my house.
    It's a small, socially distanced, parade with a santa on a reindeer pulled sleigh, they've just headed off down the main street.
    But for a moment there I was half expecting to hear cries of 'Bring out you dead'.

PS. I'm not crediting Boris with foresight, (although he's not as much of a buffoon as he would like people to think), but the Tory party 'movers and shakers' who like to keep in the background while making policy.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-12-20 at 11:40.