Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

Hubby got his letter today.
    Roll on our vaccinations, especially for hubby as it appears his cancer has come back. Our area is way behind others getting through the groups. Hoping hubby will get his, jumping the queue, if/when he has to start chemo again.

Pleased hubby got his letter today

Yes we are chomping at the bit to get the vaccine too I guess most people are the world over. Always seems a long wait when what your waiting for is so important

What has made thing worse for us is that daughter got our shopping on Wednesday night to bring over yesterday. She couldn't because of the weather. Roads are still to bad today as she needs to use untreated hilly and bendy roads. Keeping fingers crossed that she can get tomorrow otherwise we will have to brave the supermarket.

Everything crossed here your Daughter can get through tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    That does sound daft letting someone in for a fire safety check it rather defeats the object of shielding!
    Definitely struck me that way - especially as it's not something mandatory or scheduled but an add-on offer. BTW shielding letter came this morning. Date given is Feb 21st but that's going to be extended beyond a shadow of a doubt as even if numbers are falling they're still going to be very high. Add on two-three weeks for vaccination to kick in

Arh thanks for letting me know what date in Feb it is. I totally agree that it's going to be longer than that before we can stop shielding, horrible numbers of people getting infected & diying every day & as you say once you have had the jab there's another 22 days before it is up to power, then another three months before you get the second one.

Every time I see someone giving the jab on the news I think that's another one off the first list

Boris kept saying yesterday that you can become infected by touching something someone with Covid has touched. That's new the first strain they kept telling people that you can't catch it that way. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why this strain is spreading so much faster than the first

It's always been possible to catch the virus by touching something that someone with the virus has touched, which is why we've been bleaching door handles etc., since March, & wearing the nitrile gloves whilst shopping at the supermarket.

The washing hands thing is all about once you're handled something that may have been contaminated you wash your hands & hopefully destroy the virus with soap & water. It's also about reducing the viral load that you could pass on if you have the virus & touch something that others may touch after you.

Even if you receive a parcel you need to be very careful, either waiting until any virus would be degraded before handling it or, more realistically, removing the outer wrapping without touching the inner, disposing of the outer wrapper in the bin then immediately wash your hands with soap & water thoroughly, which deals with any recent potential contamination. The inner contents of the parcel are probably already safe as they'll not have come into contact with fresh virus for a few days, but still a good idea to take further precautions (I use a UVB C lamp to blast any viral RNA apart).

Please keep taking such precautions as it'll reduce your chances of catching the virus significantly & if you do the viral load you pick up will be much reduced giving your body longer to mount a defence.
    Last edited by gothitjulie; 16-01-21 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    Boris kept saying yesterday that you can become infected by touching something someone with Covid has touched. That's new the first strain they kept telling people that you can't catch it that way.
    Whoever said that was telling porkies.
    Why do you think in lockdown 1 shopping baskets, door handles, etc., etc. were being disinfected? Why were you told to always wash/disinfect your hands?
    Because it could be passed on by contact with a contaminated surface.

I found it interesting this week that the EU are complaining about not being able to get enough Pfizer vaccine, while Boris was telling Nicola Sturgeon off for revealing 'sensitive information' in the Scottish vaccination plan.
    (Which has now been removed from the gov.scot website, if you try to find it you get a 404 error).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-55663318
    The PA press agency quoted a UK government source as saying: "The reason we didn't want to publish these figures was because everyone in the world wants these vaccines.

"If other countries see how much we are getting, they are likely to put pressure on the drug firms to give them some of our allocation."
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sorry I've worried both of you,

My hands are sore & dry through continual hand washing, I never ever touch anything that comes through the door without careful handling, disposal & washing hands again. I antibac everything that does make it into my home including giving all my shopping a antibac bath!

I didn't word myself correctly. What I meant is with the first strain at the start they kept saying that you can not catch covid by touching letters & parcels they then stopped saying that. I didn't ever believe them in the first place because that's one way any virus spreads.

Yes Nuke, I saw that about not giving out "sensitive" info on the vaccine, even at one of those meetings they have the man in charge of the vaccine roll out would not say how many vaccines are in stock in the UK. In fact they were getting cross with him.

Yes, we've been washing everything thoroughly that comes through the door. And anything that doesn't look like it needs opening urgently - basically anything that doesn't have NHS on it - isn't opened. Xmas cards for instance were left lying for days. Food doesn't come through the house but is taken round the back then washed before it enters the kitchen.