Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    we won't be going anywhere near a supermarket
    I think a lot depends on what you mean by a 'supermarket'.

My local supermarket (50 meters walk) is about the about a 10'th of the size/floorspace of the same brand 4 miles away, and a 100th of the one 20 miles away, but it still has most of the same things. (but less people).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Our supermarket is a largish Morrisons. The only supermarket I can get to.

Starbright, I used to make an eggless fruit cake and as far as I can remember to make it rise the recipe said vinegar and bicarb. Sounds bizarre but the cake was lovely.

Thanks beau,

Tummy does not like bicarb that was one of the things we tried before the yogurt it did make lovely fluffy buns though

Just thought it may work for you. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Thanks beau, all suggestions very welcome

I "think" I have a low level intolerance to wheat flour I don't know if it's the gluten or just wheat flour in general because bread flour & wheat pasta flour I have a reaction to but warburtons crumpets I don't I doubt the wheat flour the crumpets are made with is as strong as bread or pasta flour. The pasta reaction was quiet strong. I've found brown rice pasta that works for my system & I actually prefer the taste/texture but it's more expensive & not sold everywhere either

The supermarket I usually use is in Tier 2, I'm in Tier 4.

The town I live in is hilly, bad paving, bad cambers, so using the wheelchair is dangerous.

Oh well, I'll pop into Tier 2 then....

Saturday the supermarket goes into Tier 4 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    Thanks beau, all suggestions very welcome

I "think" I have a low level intolerance to wheat flour I don't know if it's the gluten or just wheat flour in general because bread flour & wheat pasta flour I have a reaction to but warburtons crumpets I don't I doubt the wheat flour the crumpets are made with is as strong as bread or pasta flour. The pasta reaction was quiet strong. I've found brown rice pasta that works for my system & I actually prefer the taste/texture but it's more expensive & not sold everywhere either
    Most flour in the UK has to be fortified with vitamins by law & it usually has some preservatives too. However, you can order french flour which is simply flour with no additives, it may be worth a try just to see if it's the wheat or the additives that cause you problems.

I bake my own bread using the standard UK flour with additives, often canadian flour with those additives depending on what you use it for, but my recipe is flour 400g, water 300g, yeast, butter 20g, salt if required which usually I don't, it makes a baguette like bread in a loaf form, rather nice.

Quote Originally Posted by gothitjulie View Post
    Most flour in the UK has to be fortified with vitamins by law & it usually has some preservatives too. However, you can order french flour which is simply flour with no additives, it may be worth a try just to see if it's the wheat or the additives that cause you problems.

I bake my own bread using the standard UK flour with additives, often canadian flour with those additives depending on what you use it for, but my recipe is flour 400g, water 300g, yeast, butter 20g, salt if required which usually I don't, it makes a baguette like bread in a loaf form, rather nice.
    Thanks so much for that, I had forgotten I used to have waitrose udon noodles, & that said wheat & water. They were perfectly fine for me. Never had a problem with them at all. Unfortunately they stopped selling them (before covid) they were in the fridge section loved them. They defo didn't have any added anything. I don't usually shop at waitrose but sometimes you can find a few different things there than bigger supermarkets sell.

I will have a search & see if I can find some. It takes a heck of a lot of working out what this system of mine will & will not like I really should of come with an instruction manual! & when it came to this wheat problem I've felt a bit overwhelmed as to where to start. I asked Warburtons what wheat they used thinking is it a certain type of wheat I got the reply we use wheat flour

I'm making a note of the bread recipe so I don't loose it off this thread.

I think all of the UK will be in tier 4 soon anyway keep as far away from people as you can I know that's not easy or possible sometimes

I have just rooted my turkey breast joint out of the freezer to defrost for tomorrow. I bought it at Easter, reduced from £4 to £1. A very cheap Christmas dinner for us. It will last us 2 days as we don't eat a great deal.

Must be awkward as it the gluten sugars acting with the yeast that makes bread rise.

I've tried baking bread using sodium bicarb and an acid (your yogurt would be the acid) instead of yeast and sugar, because it's a chemical reaction it doesn't need kneading or proving.
    It does work but doesn't rise as much so is better suited to flatbreads, of course it tastes different and if you make a loaf or buns then the crust tends to blacken.
    As your family member found it often collapses after taking out of the oven, it's a timing thing as the darker crust makes you think it's done when it still needs more time.

I'm sure that your family member is all over gluten free baking websites so won't add any more.

My small freezer is now full of pies, pizza, and other quick cook snacks.
    I got a frozen pork roulade (Garlic, rosemary, and fennel seed) which I've defrosted and will cook later today with some sage and onion stuffing.
    I'll also do some butter shortbread and some cinnamon scones.
    I got a frozen strudel which I'll bake tomorrow and have with custard instead of christmas pud.
    Treats are chocolates, good malt whisky, good port, and a couple of bottles of wine. I'm here alone so can get as puddled as I like (but not until I've finished cooking/baking too much food for one person).

Hope you are all sorted out as well, and have as good a Christmas and New Year as you are able to.
    Last edited by nukecad; 24-12-20 at 11:14.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.