Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

Bit of a nightmare for us as it is almost like shielding all over again and our support has gone through circumstances

TBH I've only stopped shielding once to have a hair cut since second week in March when I shielded myself before Boris told us to.

I hope you can sort some more support out ASAP

Worse problem is that my carer has a sore throat and nothing else but been refused a Covid test unless she develops one of the listed symptoms. In the worst case scenario for our help she would go over and above what she needs to do. We have now lost that support. I am trying to get the shopping in bits and pieces on my scooter so hubby doesn't have to go out so several supermarket visits instead of just one. Often get soaked in the rain too but I need the groceries and don't trust online since the mess ups I had first time round. More like a lucky dip.

That's one of the reasons why in another thread you made I suggested contacting social services because you are putting all your eggs in one basket. If you go with the option of letting them send someone every day instead of hiring one person yourself they have a team of people someone will come.

I hadn't put much faith in SS carers until my neighbour has started to use them must be two years ago because she was diagnosed with dementia. They come like clockwork every day & have made such a difference to her she is much happier knowing they are there.

Before Covid online food shopping was easy & everything you wanted came. Now they are all trying to do their best by expanding hugely in a short period of time so they can feed as many people as they can. Which is wonderful. But this has caused shortages in products on their website plus I have found quality of what turns up has also become worse.

Edit to suggest have you got a covid support team where you are? We have & they will go & get your shopping for you or collect prescriptions.
    Last edited by StarBright; 12-11-20 at 20:17.

Our SS are rubbish, I had an assessment not too long ago and they couldn't help with anything. We do have a support team I think, our prescriptions were brought by them last time but now they have to come from another branch of our chemists if they are delivered. That is no good for me as I have had errors in the past where I have been given the wrong medication and out local chemist is aware and marked in red on my file. If we had them delivered I can't get to the delivery dispensing chemist to sort it out as they are about 5 miles away. 2 bus journeys each way for me to get there.

As for SS care, they wanted too much money off me for help that I couldn't afford. In our area they are not very reliable either, turn up at any time of the day if at all. No end of folk have problems with them.
    BIL pays over £100 a week for 7 1/2 hour visits, a complete rip off and it is all done through agencies now.

We will muddle on and if I don't get a daily shower or am in my nightclothes all day then so be it. Hopefully it won't be forever.

Well I've run out of ideas beau,

I really ought to have a standby carer. Never thought of that one before, never needed before but times are so uncertain. Taught me a lesson not to depend on one person. Once this lot is over I will look for one amongst ladies I know. At least then I will have a back up.

Sounds like a very good idea beau

Received a text from council saying I should have received a letter (haven't) with a link to a page that didn't load. Presume similar to one above

New three tier system which starts from Wednesday 2nd Dec. It also says additional advice at each tier will be provided shortly for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus. So keep an eye out for that

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-re...u-need-to-know