Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Get coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

I'm only leaving the house for shopping, and getting my meds once a month.

Unless they close the shops and go to some kind of rationing I don't see how any further restrictions could affect me now.
    I suspect we may see Boris bring in a curfew, maybe 6am to 6pm?, for a new 'Tier 5'. (Unless you have an excuse to be out of course).

I'm still trying to work out their rationale behind insisting that schools stay open.

Missed education is the one they trumpet.
    But will it realy do any harm to put back exams until they are a year older?
    It's always been an option for schools/unis to put pupils/students back a year in certain circumstances. (eg. long hospital stays).
    Let's face it if they do their exams and leave school/uni later this year the job market is going to be saturated with those who have lost their jobs due to covid, so they are just going to end up on benefits.
    The main reason I can see for avoiding that is lack of space, you'd need space for a whole extra years pupils/students. Plus there would be twice as many school/uni leavers the next year.

Lack of childcare provision?
    Most parents are off work, or at least working from home, due to covid anyway.
    (Hasn't it got to a strange state of affairs where both parents now have to work to afford their mortgage/rent? And there is nobody to look after the kids unless they go to school).

Having a 'controled' way of letting covid spread?
    That might make a bit more sense, but if that was the intention they have lost contol.

I just can't see any compelling reason why they keep insisting that schools/unis must remain open.

I'm also not sure about this new idea of having the second jab after 12 weeks instead of 3 weeks.
    All the testing has been done based on a 3 week gap, and the data that I've see shows the second jab gets less effective after 3 weeks, I don't think anyone has even tested with as long as a 12 week gap between jabs.

(The approval for the vaccines was given based on an optimum 3 week gap between jabs, does changing the gap to 12 weeks nullify that approval?)

The only reason for it is to give as many people as they can their first jab to (maybe) give some resistance.
    Plus of course they can then trumpet "We've already vaccinated XYZ number of people". (My political is kicking in again).

In the best case it's giving some limited protection to many more people, but just delaying things for full protection.
    To me it seems like a stopgap, halfway, measure and that doing the job properly will probably mean having to later have another two jabs with the correct gap. (or maybe a 3rd jab, 3 weeks after the second one?).
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-01-21 at 17:22.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Nuke, there is no data for the first vaccine being left 12 weeks between jabs because they only tested the jab with a three week gap. In fact the company that made that jab has said they can't say the vaccine would work or not with a longer gap than three weeks.

But the Oxford jab has been tested on the trial & evidence submitted saying that people who have the first jab are about 70-78% effective after 22 days & then goes up higher with the second jab being given 3 weeks later. But it also found that waiting 3 months before giving the second jab the rate of protection brings it up to the other vaccines being made in line with the other vaccines being made 90+%

But even more reason why they want to give the Oxford jab three months apart is because once the first jab starts protecting the person after 22 days people on the trial caught covid but not a single one of them became very ill, no one needed hospital treatment & none died.

So after the 22 days of one jab of the Oxford vaccine no one will be filling up the hospitals & the death rate will drop a heck of a lot, that's why they are trying to get this Oxford one in front line staff & vulnerable people as quickly as they can. It's to save life.

I can't give you a link to all that data but it's what's been said on the BBC news by different medical people that have seen the data about the Oxford vaccine, in fact they have said that if the government made that info about after the first Oxford jab meaning that people will stop becoming very ill & die from covid a heck of a lot more people will come forward & have the jab when asked.

Chief medical officers have recommended the covid 19 alert level should go from level 4 to 5
    Last edited by StarBright; 04-01-21 at 18:16.

Talk about a new year to me it seems that it is getting worse and worse as time passes.
    For me, my motivation to do anything is getting less and less. Usually I am up between 7 and 8 in a morning but now it can be 10 and 11, nothing to get up for but a long boring day.
    Nothing to fill my time as I don't watch tv, listen to the radio or do any housework because I can't. I just seem to spend the day twiddling my thumbs and achieving nothing.

Understandable beau, you have a heck of a lot on your plate without adding covid 19 on top xxx

The most exciting thing I am doing this week is a Covid test for research on Friday followed by an online survey. Courier booked so have to do it early Friday morning.
    I was invited by letter from the NHS and thought why not. Not as though it is any detriment to me.

That's good beau, any research they can do to help in the future has to be good

Found the alert level going up post on gov: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...dical-officers

And the alert levels: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52634739

Quote Originally Posted by StarBright View Post
    But the Oxford jab has been tested on the trial & evidence submitted saying that people who have the first jab are about 70-78% effective after 22 days & then goes up higher with the second jab being given 3 weeks later. But it also found that waiting 3 months before giving the second jab the rate of protection brings it up to the other vaccines being made in line with the other vaccines being made 90+%
    I've not seen that Oxford data, and wasn't aware that they had tested up to 3 months, I'll have a look later to see if I can find it.

Obviously AstraZenica haven't tested for that 12 week gap, (I believe they did up to 4 weeks and saw a deterioration so didn't go longer) and so they are making no statement either way about whether theirs would still be effective or not.

Either way it's better to have one than not.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nuke for looking for the info on the Oxford one, I think one of the medical people said the data on the Oxford vaccine is on gov website.

My brain gets fried quickly along with the rest of me retaining info & searching is very hit & miss with me