Thread: Universal Credit, ESA and PIP: DWP announces new system for benefit assessments

Universal Credit, ESA and PIP: DWP announces new system for benefit assessments

Just came across this so thought I would share

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/pe...nt-esa-changes

Mmm, been tried in the past and didn't work. What short memories these politicians have.

Unless they radically change the assessment criteria themselves then it can't really work because they are assessing different things.

Take the fact that for PIP the questions are about walking, whereas for ESA they are about mobilising which includes wheelchair use.
    So they'll either have to change one of the descriptors or ask both questions - all assessments taking twice as long?

And does it mean that if you claim and are assessed for one benefit you may be automatically awarded the other, instead of or as well as?
    I very much doubt it, but it could lead to some interesting legal cases along the lines of "Well they assessed me with a combined assessment, so why did they only award one benefit when I clearly qualified for both?".

What's interesting there is "This would be developed and run by the DWP."
    Does that mean that they are taking assessments back 'in house'?

There again "would deliver all assessments using a single digital platform." is worrying given their current incompetence with computer systems.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I didn't like the sound of them being developed & run by the DWP either, do they think it will be cheaper?

Having had both assessments they are very much looking for different aspects of your ability's because one's for extra money to help you with symptoms illnesses cause & the other is to see how the symptoms stop you working

If you had a bad outcome for one would that mean you fail the other one or it could be possible to be awarded one of them but not the other in the one assessment?

Do they need to cause more problems at the moment while the roll out of U/C is happening or not as the case may be.

It's a politicians knee jerk reaction to the problems with the current assessments without having to actualy think about it.

We will spend a lot of money looking (again) at something that has been shown not to work, instead of coming up with something better.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.