Thread: New to caring - advice on claiming the right benefit

New to caring - advice on claiming the right benefit

I am currently on income based Job Seekers allowance and the work programme since being made redundant in 2010. My father was diagnosed with dementia this year and dad used to look after everything for mum as mum has mental health issues. Dad was awarded Attendance Allowance this year at a higher rate than my mum. I have decided to become a carer for them both and need advice which way to go as regards benefits. I was thinking of claiming the carers allowance but realise because JSA is a higher rate I would not qualify. I do not want to have to continue to sign on but on the other hand dont want my parents benefits to be affected either. The only means tested benefit they receive is about £2 off a week their council tax bill as they didnt qualify for pension credit due to my dads pension income, but mum was entitled to a disabled badge when dad could still drive so there must have been some sort of disability allowance given. Whats the best way to go - income support, carers allowance or JSA with carers premium? I was thinking of becoming self employed before dad became ill and I may still want to do this in the future albiet my earnings will be low as it will only be for around 6 hours a week due to caring for around 35 hours so need to be able to do this legally without affecting my benefits. I am also trying to judge when the new universal credit comes in how it will effect me. I know I probably need to see CAB advice but a bit of info before I do would be appreciated. Thankyou.
    Last edited by New carer; 22-12-12 at 14:49.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by New carer View Post
    I am currently on income based Job Seekers allowance and the work programme since being made redundant in 2010. My father was diagnosed with dementia this year and dad used to look after everything for mum as mum has mental health issues. Dad was awarded Attendance Allowance this year at a higher rate than my mum. I have decided to become a carer for them both and need advice which way to go as regards benefits. I was thinking of claiming the carers allowance but realise because JSA is a higher rate I would not qualify. I do not want to have to continue to sign on but on the other hand dont want my parents benefits to be affected either. The only means tested benefit they receive is about £2 off a week their council tax bill as they didnt qualify for pension credit due to my dads pension income, but mum was entitled to a disabled badge when dad could still drive so there must have been some sort of disability allowance given. Whats the best way to go - income support, carers allowance or JSA with carers premium? I was thinking of becoming self employed before dad became ill and I may still want to do this in the future albiet my earnings will be low as it will only be for around 6 hours a week due to caring for around 35 hours so need to be able to do this legally without affecting my benefits. I am also trying to judge when the new universal credit comes in how it will effect me. I know I probably need to see CAB advice but a bit of info before I do would be appreciated. Thankyou.
    on C A you would be allowed to earn £100 aprox self employed and still get CA

when UC comes in YOU would not be expected to earn only £100 week self employed and are allowed a once off period low income after which regardless of what you make they will set an income they expect you to make regardless of real income this will cut your UC
    if you go bust and start again you dont get another low income period

its called"Minimum Income Floor"

I think it would be wise for you to speak to the experts at Carers UK. Their website is also full of valuable information http://www.carersuk.org/
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I think it would be wise for you to speak to the experts at Carers UK. Their website is also full of valuable information http://www.carersuk.org/
    good idea the

link to self employed info http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/uc-draft-...memorandum.pdf

Minimum Income Floor page 28

Thanks for that, looks like its the end for anyone being self employed but only wanting to work part time making a low profit. I would have virtually no overheads hence making it worthwhile to work from home for a little extra income. Im not wanting to "grow" into a large business or earn what they think I should be making. Obviously they would not think my income was genuine but an extra £100 a week is alot of money to me while caring for parents which probably wont be for that long due to their ages and it would mean I could grow the business when my caring duties were over, rather than straight back onto the unemployment register!

Thanks Paul,
    Think we may have worked for the same company - I was at BAe for 25 years!

Quote Originally Posted by New carer View Post
    Thanks Paul,
    Think we may have worked for the same company - I was at BAe for 25 years!
    BAE Systems now Yes, I started work there in 1996 as an apprentice, so only 17 years for me.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs