Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone extended their lease when the mileage was above 15k?

Has anyone extended their lease when the mileage was above 15k?

Now that i have started working i have worked out that by the end of the 3 year lease my car would have done just over 15k miles. The car is standard with no modifications. My last car had 6k at the end of lease. With this in mind i had paid over £2k in AP thinking i would extend the lease afterwards. Then i found a job a year later. I need a large car for my bulk. Has anyone managed to extend their lease with the mileage above 15k? Are motability that strict? I know the wav have a different rule. My option is that in summer periods i would commute by train since the station is near workplace.

I would ring Motability and ask them. I was approaching 15k towards the end of my lease so I rang them about 6 weeks before the lease expired, gave them my mileage which was about 14.500 and they sent out the lease extension form. I agreed the lease extension & that was that. In the end, I wasn't quite at 15k miles but motability were very reasonable about it and if I had gone over, the lease agreement was already in place as I was near enough to the limit.

Katie

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Now that i have started working i have worked out that by the end of the 3 year lease my car would have done just over 15k miles. The car is standard with no modifications. My last car had 6k at the end of lease. With this in mind i had paid over £2k in AP thinking i would extend the lease afterwards. Then i found a job a year later. I need a large car for my bulk. Has anyone managed to extend their lease with the mileage above 15k? Are motability that strict? I know the wav have a different rule. My option is that in summer periods i would commute by train since the station is near workplace.

Flipping heck!! I used to do that and more in one year in my old motability car and I don't work! Most of it was used by my wife doing her shopping trips once a week 100 miles each way to the large shopping centre at Dartford/Essex. On top of that we go away nearly every weekend in the summer for long weekends and visit friends & family up North which on its own clocks up about 1,000 miles for that trip every other month.

It was hard work to keep below the 60,000 after 3 years!!

When I was working you could add another 28,000 miles a year (140 miles a day round trip) just with the travel to and from the office!
    Last edited by doberg; 20-12-12 at 22:23.

littlebib
    everyone does different mileages

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebib View Post
    everyone does different mileages
    I agree, but 15,000 over 3 years!!! that's less than what my wife does to just go shopping every week!!

littlebib
    its not a lot but for those who dont use the car for work its 100 miles a week which can be a lot if cars only used for local shopping and occasional visits, maybe holidays 1 or 2 times a year.

New job is a 16 mile commute each way. In a way I feel better that I am making use of the car. Hopefully with the extra income I can plan a long deserved holiday

littlebib
    southend is nice this time of year

doberg
    southend is nice this time of year
    Gulp!!!!!!! Isn't that the place where you can't see the end of the pier because of the continuous rain?

doberg
    its not a lot but for those who dont use the car for work its 100 miles a week which can be a lot if cars only used for local shopping and occasional visits, maybe holidays 1 or 2 times a year.
    In which case surely it would be more cost efficient to use a taxi and hire a small car for the holidays?

I have many friends that do that. They just don't see the point of having a car, doing nothing, losing money every week for the 100 miles a week!

If my mileage was at that level I would have bought a £500 banger and hired a car for the two holidays.